Quest - Clouded

Post your work here - Ask for feedback or just show it off
quest
will fuck for food
Quest - Clouded

Post by quest »

I'm really feeling the drone techno lately. I guess for me minimal is when the sense of time doesn't really change, but with drone techno it seems to affected. Something about the didgeridoo kind of frequency pattern...

http://dubmonitor.com/drone-techno-an-introduction/

I'm hoping to inject tracks like this into the set to give the AV dancers a break, I am not sure if I can add synth lines on top of a drone track. Any feedback is really appreciated!

https://soundcloud.com/quest/clouded

A_K
Suspect Handshake
Re: Quest - Clouded

Post by A_K »

Didn't know it was called Drone Techno. I've been attempting similar things in some tracks I'm working on recently.

If there are any rules in Techno, break them. Do what you think sounds good.

Sounds like you've got a synth line in that track and it sounds really great to me! I think you nailed it. :D

Dust Layer
leper

Post by Dust Layer »

Great track here, i'm just not very fond of that sound coming at 1mn03 but the track works with it.

quest
will fuck for food

Post by quest »

Thanks Dust Layer, I agree. I want that note to be there but I'll try working with the texture

Planar
subsekt
subsekt

Post by Planar »

Technically I think this is a good track, there's nothing that seems wrong with it (although I'm at work and in no place to judge a mix down). For me though, I don't like the contrast with the bubbling bass line and grooving drums against the drone. I feels a bit like 2 tracks mashed together, if that makes any sense.

krypt
Smore

Post by krypt »

Hi,
I would be careful with labelling sounds, all this drone techno stuff. It's your ideology, your perception, not the sound itself.
It would be better to listen and learn this rather by reading it. Rapid changes (f.e. in 1:03 are on the contrary to the drone in my understanding). The structure of the track as well as its sound reminds me classic minimal.
Track is decent, but whole beat could be significantly improved. It feels like you spent little time arranging it (the beat), the whole mechanic works fine, but the sound is not tuned-up in any way.
Kick is little muffled, it could use more power. Clap sound could use more work/eq/compression. Really enjoyed the highhats, very nice cutting.

quest
will fuck for food

Post by quest »

Good feedback all around. I did tracks more quickly leading to my first mixtape/live pa demo, but once I play the mix out this Friday I'll know what I need to know so I can make new tunes more meticulously addressing the kinds of issues in the feedback. It'll also be what I needed to get the live synth and control layers on top of something long enough for a 1hr set (I'm mixing really deeply so 16 tracks fit in one hour!)

Ttinga
Normality Restored

Post by Ttinga »

Definitely a cool track. Agreed with others that the kick drum is a little muffled. To me its much more driving/groovy than droney, but that's just a matter of classification.

quest
will fuck for food

Post by quest »

I think I'm realizing this is a categorical problem for my kick drums, I'm losing them in crowded mixes in many tracks.

New plan is to do my kick in mono and compress it by itself using an Ashly SC-50 to get better kick separation.