Roland TR8, Korg Volca & Arturia Minibrute Got Touched Today

Electronic Music Production // Dark Arts
Alume
Confetti
Re: Roland TR8, Korg Volca & Arturia Minibrute Got Touched T

Post by Alume »

I had the idea that he was using the 303 for bleepish stuff, not sure if the tb3 can do that but I had that impression when watching the video. Cant watch it now:(

The tr8 seems to be pretty rare on the 2nd hand market or what!? Its hard to find one at a decent 2nd hand price.

Wiu
Slowy J

Post by Wiu »

Alume wrote:The tr8 seems to be pretty rare on the 2nd hand market or what!? Its hard to find one at a decent 2nd hand price.
It's still a current piece of equipment and relatively new. They don't go for a lot less than a new one (from what I've seen anyway). I think most being sold are probably by people used to the endless possibilities of a software setup and just liked the idea of having a hardware drum machine but after having a bit of fun with it don't really know how to incorporate it into their workflow. They'll be trying to get as much of the original price back as possible. I never really understand why people sell nearly new equipment on ebay when most stores offer a full refund within 14 days if you're not happy. Unless they're stolen of course....
Thank you for the laughs, debate, new music found, production tips etc etc over the years. I wish Subsekt and everyone all the best for the future. Wiu.

SFBM
&roid

Post by SFBM »

Wiu wrote:
Alume wrote:The tr8 seems to be pretty rare on the 2nd hand market or what!? Its hard to find one at a decent 2nd hand price.
It's still a current piece of equipment and relatively new. They don't go for a lot less than a new one (from what I've seen anyway). I think most being sold are probably by people used to the endless possibilities of a software setup and just liked the idea of having a hardware drum machine but after having a bit of fun with it don't really know how to incorporate it into their workflow. They'll be trying to get as much of the original price back as possible. I never really understand why people sell nearly new equipment on ebay when most stores offer a full refund within 14 days if you're not happy. Unless they're stolen of course....
Less than a year old now, I think. I still haven't seen many volca beats going second hand on ebay yet, and when they do it's the whole "selling because I need a drum machine with more in depth tweaking" thing.
Dunno what it's like in Europe or the US , but on aus ebay ive maybe seen 1, perhaps 2 tr-8s 2nd hand in the last 6 months.

I've decided I'm going to splash out and get the TR-8 (on layby no less) because I'm able to get a sizeable discount, still going to be a couple of months off but I see it as a decent investment for my live setup for drums (only have the volca beats so far). Any decent suggestions for (not super expensive) fx pedals I could couple with it? I've already got a dd3, ds1 and big muff pi, and I'm thinking of getting the pro co rat 2 and Mooer shimmer verb (and perhaps a behringer dr-600) for some cheap, but decent additions to my setup. Maybe a compressor pedal too but I've heard that the on board compression is fairly decent with the tr-8s?

nomadjames
mummy!!

Post by nomadjames »

Was playing with the new Roland stuff this weekend at a local store. It was really fun. So was the new Korg ARP.
www.soundcloud.com/nomadjames

"The Edge... there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over." - Hunter S. Thompson

www.nomadjames.com

Pittsburgh Ableton
www.facebook.com/groups/558333351022659

Críoch
subsekt
subsekt

Post by Críoch »

Picked up a TR8. Great fun was had this evening mashing up a 808 loop with cowbells through the Mackie. 909 kicks with hats & rides were v.enjoyable too.

The scatter is fucking nice actually.. and the 'last step' feature. Would be handy if there was some kind of filter on it to take out some of the lows when one is scattering the TR8.

Overall, 3 thumbs up. Great fun. Bit sick to find out tonight that the 7x7 expansion pack is 75 fucking euro!! Whuuut?!! Unreal.
KennethExack wrote:My kids and I are completely shocked by the specialized secrets that everyone has on this forum
>> Click here for NEW POSTS on subsekt <<

Dialog I The Hole I subsekt Blog I The Bench I IG I SC I Mixes I FB

Críoch
subsekt
subsekt

Post by Críoch »

Probably sacrilege.. But actually thinking the TR8 would make a great controller to use with the machine drum.. the faders in particular if they could be assigned to the volume of individual sounds on the MD. The TR8 is so tactile. The faders are wicked.
KennethExack wrote:My kids and I are completely shocked by the specialized secrets that everyone has on this forum

BandoftheHand
rescued

Post by BandoftheHand »

The Tr-8 levels the playing field for everybody in some ways.

There can be no more excuses of "I can't get a good kick drum." when its 95% there already. Just steal $600 from dads wallet, add some seasonings & instant techno pretty much.

No sequencer, no trigger outs & no funky sequencer slop like the 909. Those are fundamental to the machine and a method.
Most cunts aren't even aware of this at all. For them its all about those few drum sounds. Ignorance is bliss and if one is ignorant of this fact than the playing field is still level because there are other feature available which balance it out.

Hades
Shit Eater

Post by Hades »

pffft
bet you can't reproduce this with your TR-8 ;)

youtu.be/amoewMRz7LU
Sin cambios no hay mariposa

Críoch
subsekt
subsekt

Post by Críoch »

Thats more like mom's kitchen than dad's wallet! HahA

Hades
Shit Eater

Post by Hades »

would love to sample some of this guy's percussion grooves though...
fucking alive ! :shock:

Críoch
subsekt
subsekt

Post by Críoch »

Just doing some reading about the tr8. Seems as if you can affect external audio in with Scatter. Deadly.

WHAT IS SCATTER?

Scatter is a unique performance function that gives you detailed real-time control over variations in your patterns and any incoming external input signal.
Scatter can reverse, glitch, gate, truncate, stutter, and perform all manner of rhythmic variations from subtle to extreme, and all in perfect sync
Pick from 10 different types of Scatter and smoothly adjust the intensity—or “Scatter Depth”—with the large, comfortable dial
Seamlessly switch between Scatter patterns and quickly toggle Scatter on/off for cool variations when and where you want them
Try it…you’ll like it!

Críoch
subsekt
subsekt

Post by Críoch »

Yep. Scatter works on external audio in & all faders muted.

BandoftheHand
rescued

Post by BandoftheHand »

I am looking forward to hearing the new genre that will be known as Scat-tronica. :lol:

Críoch
subsekt
subsekt

Post by Críoch »

I'm very sure that shit/scat already exists :) lol

AxeD
durchfall

Post by AxeD »

Hannibal could use it for his scat auto-tune stuff.

nomadjames
mummy!!

Post by nomadjames »

He said "scatronica" lol. Most of the music out there is shit so is that scatronica?
www.soundcloud.com/nomadjames

"The Edge... there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over." - Hunter S. Thompson

www.nomadjames.com

Pittsburgh Ableton
www.facebook.com/groups/558333351022659

BandoftheHand
rescued

Post by BandoftheHand »

The key to making scatronica is using the roland scatter feature. If you don't have scatter then you can use the grain delay in ableton.

daunzila
arsehole

Post by daunzila »

WTF?!

Hades
Shit Eater

Post by Hades »

daunzila wrote:youtu.be/y6oXW_YiV6g
problem is most here were probably barely born when this was a hit.

unfortunately, my hang over old head remembers this well...
ow those horrible 90's hits...

Barfunkel
Smalahove

Post by Barfunkel »

Many of those horrible 90's hits (Scatman included) are a lot better than that horrible EDM dominating the charts these days though... I'd take Snap, 2 Unlimited, Dr Alban or anyone like that over Skrillex, SHM, David Guetta etc.
"I don't shower every day, but when I do, I do it after listening to some Barfunkel" - Anonymous

http://soundcloud.com/user4904810
http://www.mixcloud.com/Barfunkel/