Warning* house track. Dat warm analog(?) stab doe

Electronic Music Production // Dark Arts
dylanlolwut
Metric Martyr
Warning* house track. Dat warm analog(?) stab doe

Post by dylanlolwut »

Alright, time for another generic 'how do I' question unfortunately.
My friend is sending me over a track later to do a remix of, it's a disco-y house track and I want to add in a stab like in these tracks. Just incase you weren't sure, I'm a bit of a fan of Daniel Lesemans stuff.

comes in at 1:13 with some filtering on it, can hear it in all its glory at 3:38
youtu.be/zoeyC6BHNE8

1:20
youtu.be/NcVGNNG85Jw

If anybody could help me with this, what would be the run down for that analog stab? also what effects, if any?
soz for posting a house question on a techno forum, I only did it cause I think this forum is so great :)
Greetings, brethren. Checketh out mine soundeth-cloud!

Lost to the Void
subsekt
subsekt
Re: Warning* house track. Dat warm analog(?) stab doe

Post by Lost to the Void »

Help you with the remix? Do we get joint credit?
Mastering Engineer @ Black Monolith Studio
New Shit
Techno is dead. Long live Techno.

dylanlolwut
Metric Martyr

Post by dylanlolwut »

Lost to the Void wrote:Help you with the remix? Do we get joint credit?
hmm no, just the warm vintage sounding stab..The remix is just for shits and giggles, its nothing serious to be released or anything

Lost to the Void
subsekt
subsekt

Just pulling ya leg you plonka
New Shit

Planar
subsekt
subsekt

Post by Planar »

How did you decided this was analog? how do you guys know this? I don't think I've ever heard anything in a track and thought, "blimey, that sounds analog". :D

Unless I'm hearing it wrong anyway, I'd start with an electric piano preset in whatever synth you have and play with the cutoff a bit. A bit of saturation for flavour and maybe chorus if I were feeling daring.

dylanlolwut
Metric Martyr

Post by dylanlolwut »

Lost to the Void wrote:Just pulling ya leg you plonka
I could smell your sarcasm from a mile away, don't worry

dylanlolwut
Metric Martyr

Post by dylanlolwut »

Planar wrote:How did you decided this was analog? how do you guys know this? I don't think I've ever heard anything in a track and thought, "blimey, that sounds analog". :D

Unless I'm hearing it wrong anyway, I'd start with an electric piano preset in whatever synth you have and play with the cutoff a bit. A bit of saturation for flavour and maybe chorus if I were feeling daring.
you think I should try with an electric piano preset? See that just goes to show my knowledge on synths.. It sounded like analog synth to me :lol:

edit: Notice the question mark in the brackets after I said analog, I wasn't sure from the beginning haha

Planar
subsekt
subsekt

Post by Planar »

Analog isn't a type of synthesis. It's more about how the signals are generated and flow through the synth and how the components effect those signals (massive oversimplification). You could have essentially the same synth architecture in hw analog, hw digital and a soft synth and they would all be capable of making the same sounds (approximately). Lots of people seem to think analog stuff sounds better due to imperfections like tuning drift etc. Personally, I have a hard time differentiating, especially in the context of a track, the only time I can tell is when someone does 10 minutes of blips because they have a modular and no talent.

I'm not saying these sounds aren't from an analog synth, just that I wouldn't get hung up on that kind of thing. Its just a buzzword in techno at the minute.

Lost to the Void
subsekt
subsekt

Planar wrote:when someone does 10 minutes of blips because they have a modular and no talent.
That's about 80% of the dinks in techno land who suddenly bought a wall full of modular and expected their music would suddenly sound "betta cos analog"

Releases are suddenly full of "ooh look I have an arpeggiator" blip riffs and 909 kicks for 6 minutes and it's terrible.
Even worse, the hype and promotion that goes with it
"100% analog modular techno hit"

Gaaaaaaaah, save me from the horror.
New Shit

mainst09
Traits

Post by mainst09 »

Lost to the Void wrote:
Planar wrote:when someone does 10 minutes of blips because they have a modular and no talent.
That's about 80% of the dinks in techno land who suddenly bought a wall full of modular and expected their music would suddenly sound "betta cos analog"

Releases are suddenly full of "ooh look I have an arpeggiator" blip riffs and 909 kicks for 6 minutes and it's terrible.
Even worse, the hype and promotion that goes with it
"100% analog modular techno hit"

Gaaaaaaaah, save me from the horror.

THIS.

A lot of people who get to know me for the first time ask me if i use any hardware. i don't all ableton plugins,mainly operator.

The biggest problem i see of people using hardware and shit is that some of them could make great music with software but no they prefer to spend a lot of money in machines that they will probably sell in some years because they failed at being david guetta
Voices From Cindy's Cunt

AxeD
durchfall

Post by AxeD »

These would be quite easy to do in Subtractor. To be fair though, I approach any
sound design challenge with Subtractor :lol:

rktic
Utter Cunt

Post by rktic »

Word, Steve :)

Anyway:

1st track: filtered piano
2nd track: look at my dubstab tut and add a non-synced lfo to cutoff. Play major.

Barfunkel
Smalahove

Post by Barfunkel »

rktic wrote:Word, Steve :)

Anyway:

I don't think he meant the piano sound. I think he was referring to the subtractive synth poly sound, with slow attack on the filter envelope.
"I don't shower every day, but when I do, I do it after listening to some Barfunkel" - Anonymous

http://soundcloud.com/user4904810
http://www.mixcloud.com/Barfunkel/

dylanlolwut
Metric Martyr

Post by dylanlolwut »

Planar wrote:Analog isn't a type of synthesis. It's more about how the signals are generated and flow through the synth and how the components effect those signals (massive oversimplification). You could have essentially the same synth architecture in hw analog, hw digital and a soft synth and they would all be capable of making the same sounds (approximately). Lots of people seem to think analog stuff sounds better due to imperfections like tuning drift etc. Personally, I have a hard time differentiating, especially in the context of a track, the only time I can tell is when someone does 10 minutes of blips because they have a modular and no talent.

I'm not saying these sounds aren't from an analog synth, just that I wouldn't get hung up on that kind of thing. Its just a buzzword in techno at the minute.

When I said analog I was talking about you know the sound you make in abletons analog when you use a saw? yeah it sounds very similar to that sound, but i was just wondering how to create the warmth style he does in the videos above...
Its really hard to describe what I mean right now due to being hungover and lack of knowledge of synthesizers...Really need to buckle down and learn my shit this summer.

dylanlolwut
Metric Martyr

Post by dylanlolwut »

rktic wrote:Word, Steve :)

Anyway:

2nd track: look at my dubstab tut and add a non-synced lfo to cutoff. Play major.
sweet, do I find your tutorial on your website?

Lost to the Void
subsekt
subsekt

Sounds like a house standard filtered poly synth to me.
It's all in the control of the low pass and lots of automation on the filter envelope, the attack in particular.

Sort of an organ sound, could be achieved with saw or sine/saw combination possibly.

Touch of reverb, maybe some chorus. Something with a nice mushy low pass filter.

I wouldn't call that particularly warm, it's not that saturated.

Just roll off the high frequencies with eq.
New Shit

winston
unsure

Post by winston »

i'm not too sure what is meant by warm, especially in the 1st track. it sounds like a quite standard and simple saw wave sound. it has some more body than just one voice, but doesn't sound obviously detuned, so maybe has the second osc just a few cents of (+/-7 doesn't really sound noticeable), maybe has a sub-osc an octave below. i reckon barfunkel and lost to the void have it nailed with the filter envelope: the attack parameter is the key here, but throughout it the filter env amount, the resonance and obviously the cutoff are manipulated.

perhaps the warmth you mean is coming from the character of the filter, i don't know. i've definitely noticed some difference in how soft-filters sound.

Lost to the Void
subsekt
subsekt

I think the "warmth" of the 1st track is really just the fact that the bassline is mirrored to the synth, so it effectively sounds extremely round. Simple and easy trick but it works well.
New Shit

helloitsmeagain
athlete

Post by helloitsmeagain »

You guys are so funny. Any chance to rag on modular, you go full out, over and over, in every thread it's remotely relevant and even where it's not.

Anyway, surely you know modular is so much more than analog and has been for far over 10 years... Nobody with any sense does modular and stands purely analog on principal.

And as to people making shit music on modular, let's not pretend it's only people with modules that make shit music... or only people with laptops that make great music.
Because of ACiD, i now know that butter is way better than margarine. I saw through the bullshit. - Mitch Hedberg

Mattias
subsekt
subsekt

Post by Mattias »

helloitsmeagain wrote:You guys are so funny. Any chance to rag on modular, you go full out, over and over, in every thread it's remotely relevant and even where it's not.

Anyway, surely you know modular is so much more than analog and has been for far over 10 years... Nobody with any sense does modular and stands purely analog on principal.

And as to people making shit music on modular, let's not pretend it's only people with modules that make shit music... or only people with laptops that make great music.
Of course man. I just think that the reason why it's being frowned upon is because there is some sort of "stomp of approval of coolness" when a random producers buys a modular and make some bleeps only with it and tons of people goes "woooow" :D
Music Page: http://www.facebook.com/Mattias.Fridell.Music
Soundcloud: http://soundcloud.com/fridell
Sample packs: http://mfsamples.bandcamp.com

Contention / 005