why no playlist?

General Chat // Music Discussion
bergertron
site spammer
Re: why no playlist?

Post by bergertron »

jacksonick wrote:I had to google to make sure that Luigi Madonnas-Unconditional Beauty was a real track title and not just genius comedy.
ha ha say what you will about Bumload but I like this track

jordanneke
subsekt
subsekt

Post by jordanneke »

Ttinga wrote:Also, putting together a tracklist is very easy. Just as an example, here is a tracklist from one of Mattias' latest sets:

Code: Select all

01. Sam Paganini - Rave - Bumload
02. Luigi Madonna - Unconditional Beauty - Bumload
03. Alan Fitzpatrick - Turn Down the Lights - Bumload
04. Petter B - Loggbay Session B - Bumload
05. Maceo Plex - Conjure Floyd - Bumload
06. Dykkon - Repulse - Bumload
07. Bart Skils - My Part of Town - Bumload
08. Nicole Moudaber - I Know Where I’ve Been - Bumload
09. Timmo - Canvas - Bumload
10. Harvey McKay - Start Running - Bumload
11. dubspeeka - Primary K293 - Bumload
12. Alan Fitzpatrick - The Tetra - Bumload
13. Maceo Plex - Conjure Dreams - Bumload
:twisted: :twisted:

I trawled through this to see how generic Druncode had become.....

Turns out I actually like the lasest release.................. :(

Ironically by posting an ironic playlist, which I used in an ironic way, now I have to kill myself.

rozze
Interact. Don't Spam.

Post by rozze »

That's a lot of pros and cons!

I'd say it's mainly two interests colliding: The DJ's don't want their style to be copied and effort to be exploited by other DJ's which by itself seems like a legit reason to me. I think it's more about that than about educating the listener to dig himself. As only for the listener I think yeah why not say go spend some time and search for that track and find some additional treasures on your journey.

But then again there's the artist who wants to make a living and be rewarded for his work. And good music isn't easily made, it takes a LOT of dedication and often hardship. In this regard I think it's bullshit to say the artist has "no right of free promotion" and is selfish for wanting his name out there. That's really f***ing bullshit. If you - as a DJ - say you don't want to put out a tracklist because you've spend "so much effort to dig out that diamond", it's quite hyppocritical to turn around the next moment like "the artist can call himself lucky I even play his track, how CAN he even ask for even more support?". Wtf really!? Without producers DJ's wouldn't have any material to work with. Their work is the base of your work.

And nobody HAS to read a playlist before listening to a set ffs. And yes, asking for track ID's is an option. ON PAPER.

It's a bit of a sad picture: Because of the DJ's competition there are artists not making money when there are listeners who would like to support them with actual MONEY.

Lost to the Void
subsekt
subsekt

Post by Lost to the Void »

This.

And also it just seems the right thing to do, like it's almost an ethical issue.
You don't need to argue FOR doing it, but you need to argue for NOT doing it.
When things are like that it's generally an ethical issue.
Mastering Engineer @ Black Monolith Studio
New Shit
Techno is dead. Long live Techno.

tuuluuwag
Unfriended

Post by tuuluuwag »

tuuluuwag wrote:i call bullshit on the 'lazy' descriptor......
I think laziness is a huge factor for a lot of people. Its lazy, but people are. Instant gratification, being lazy, all of this is more and more common.[/quote]

I agree 100% ..

i have no problem posting tracklists when i have time... i fully respect each track and would want nothing more than success for the artist that created it... after all, i bought it and played it for a reason.
make. shit. happen.

Wiu
Slowy J

Post by Wiu »

I usually make tracklists and I'm the only cunt that will ever hear the mix. It's always a pain in the ass when I listen to a mix I've done years before and I can't remember what a track is so have to spend a day listening through a load of records trying to find it. One of the negatives to having a large record collection. Must be even worse for people using MP3's/WAV's etc.
Thank you for the laughs, debate, new music found, production tips etc etc over the years. I wish Subsekt and everyone all the best for the future. Wiu.

msl
║▌║█║▌│║▌║▌█

Post by msl »

Personally if I find a killer track I want to share it with the world.

Lets be honest in this day and age very rarely do you find a truly hidden gem that no one knows about, unless your playing 70's african funk or something.

So I feel its the dj's responsibility to do track lists to promote the artists, and as producers we all want to be charted.
www.bernadettetrax.bandcamp.com
www.soundcloud.com/michaellovatt

“Once men turned their thinking over to machines in the hope that this would set them free. But that only permitted other men with machines to enslave them.” Dune

Monreal
You only live once

Post by Monreal »

Ryan Elliot:

I’m always surprised, especially now with Facebook, how many of the artists who, after I chart their tracks, contact me and say thanks, and then from there we have a relationship already. I want to expose those artists whose music I’m playing. I have a hard time with DJs who don’t do charts because they think they’re showing their hand; they don’t want people to have those records. If it’s a good record, I want to share it with everybody.

Amen to that. Finding the next big thing and sharing with everybody is a much better feeling than being a pretentious fuck and save it only to yourself.

The whole interview:
http://www.electronicbeats.net/en/featu ... dj-charts/

Funny it's only 2 days old

Mattias
subsekt
subsekt

Post by Mattias »

That's my experience as well. I made friends by either including a pretty unknown track in a chart or sent an email to an unknown artist tell them I included their music in my latest mix or whatever.
Music Page: http://www.facebook.com/Mattias.Fridell.Music
Soundcloud: http://soundcloud.com/fridell
Sample packs: http://mfsamples.bandcamp.com

Contention / 005

Dust Layer
leper

Post by Dust Layer »

Why no playlist?

most of people want to keep the tracks for themselves that's all, but it's not fair for the guys who made the tracks.
especially if the producers are new or not well known, with a playlist their music can propagate a bit more easily.
like someone said before the tracks don't belong to the djs, and people who make them prefer of course being named for their work.

Lost to the Void
subsekt
subsekt

Post by Lost to the Void »

Hello and welcome Dust Layer.
Mastering Engineer @ Black Monolith Studio
New Shit
Techno is dead. Long live Techno.

Dust Layer
leper

Post by Dust Layer »

hello!

Udy
brown envelope

Post by Udy »

I prefer to be able to access a tracklist in some way although I rarely read one before or during listening unless a track sticks out at me.

I like to include one whenever I do a mix, usually because I play a lot of artists who I buy from Bandcamp etc. who I imagine would very much like the exposure.

When my shows go out on the old internet radio thingy I wait for the music to play (as it's a pre record) then post roughly 5 tracks at a time in arrears with buy/download links.

I definitely don't think that listening to podcasts and radio shows is an illegitimate form of discovering music though, that's just plain crazy talk.

Dust Layer
leper

Post by Dust Layer »

i wonder what would be the reaction of those people if their mixes were aired on radio or something without their dj name or any title on it.

Ttinga
Normality Restored

Post by Ttinga »

Lol, good point Dust Layer.

TheBinaryMind
pregnant

Post by TheBinaryMind »

I only spin crap, and to help people filter out that shit on Buttport etc. I like to "name and shame", therefore I always add tracklists.

surface
Balance

Post by surface »

Dust Layer wrote:i wonder what would be the reaction of those people if their mixes were aired on radio or something without their dj name or any title on it.
You are bang on with that statement but part of me carries the romantic notion that a mix with no playlist is, in some way, spontaneous. What utter bollox. A spontaneous mix these days seem to be rare and, even at that, it wouldn't be that much of a mission to pinpoint the tracklisting for others to follow up on. I guess it's a case of laziness vs being unorganazized ..

surface
Balance

Post by surface »

Or disorganazized (?) ..