your gear lists

General Chat // Music Discussion
AxeD
durchfall
Re: your gear lists

Post by AxeD »

karwa wrote:here i go:

Ableton ...duh. lots of max devices though.
Elektron Rytm ...for drums and all sorts of stuff
Studiologic Master Keyboard ...got it for learning to play the piano but now it's nice to have a good keyboard with real weighted keys around
Yamaha PSR-36 ...picked that one up after reading about it in the bargain synths thread and it's awesome. just so wonky.
Alesis Microverb 4 ...as heard on many of macdemarco's records. haven't had a chance to use it much but also a bargain.
Ableton Push ...don't use it
Cyclone TT-303 ...sadly don't use it either
Yamaha HS-80 ...can't really tell wether i like them. probably the acoustics of my room to blame for that.
NI Komplete Audio 6 ...like it and not too expensive either.

i will have to get a mixer in the future as i hardly get by with 4ins/4outs. any recommendations?
What do you want for the 303?

karwa
Face Hugger

Post by karwa »

that yamaha mixer looks fine. doesn't have to be top sounding at all. and functionality wise it seems ace especially for the money.
AxeD wrote:
karwa wrote: Cyclone TT-303 ...sadly don't use it either

not sure yet. a mixer? an octatrack? a guitar? volca sampler? a tattoo? pretty undecided...

why do you want to trade? ;)

blackmetalblackmetalblackmetalblack

Wiu
Slowy J

Post by Wiu »

I've always used Audacity myself. Never once crashed on me and it does exactly what I need it to do. Not really sure what else audio editors offer if I'm honest as it's not something I've ever looked in to.
Thank you for the laughs, debate, new music found, production tips etc etc over the years. I wish Subsekt and everyone all the best for the future. Wiu.

rktic
Utter Cunt

Post by rktic »

DAW:
selfbuilt i7 PC
UAD-1

Interfaces:
RME Hammerfall Multiface & RPM

Monitors:
KRK RP-5 (i wish they were 8")
Technics RP-DJ 1200 Headphones (club colored, far away from reference)
Behringer headphone AMP

Controllers:
Akai APC 40
Behringer BCF 2000
M-Audio Axiom 49
Arturia Beatstep

Hardware synth:
9U Eurorack modular (setup at modulargrid.net)

Software:
Ableton, Buzztracker
Too many plugins to list

Field recorder:
M-Audio Microtrack
OKM binaural mic

DJ Setup:
black 13" Macbook
Traktor S4

Pro-Ject debut for recording vinyls

Everything cramped into a corner of my living room that yells for acoustic treatment...

msl
║▌║█║▌│║▌║▌█

Post by msl »

willemb wrote:- Audacity (any better suggestions for audio editing on mac?)

yeah the clunky interface always put me off it... I use Audiofile Wave Editor its ok but not great.

Nice setup btw, home made instruments and contact mics for the win! :)

www.bernadettetrax.bandcamp.com
www.soundcloud.com/michaellovatt

“Once men turned their thinking over to machines in the hope that this would set them free. But that only permitted other men with machines to enslave them.” Dune

UN!T B
pregnant

Post by UN!T B »

willemb wrote: My own instruments(?) :
Spring Box - a biscuit tin with a bunch of springs and a contact mic
Bendy Thing - a 1 string guitar made from a bed slat and a contact mic, i like the bendy potential, WIP
Cheap Chinese Violin Bow - bow everything! home recordings is about more than just hitting things
???? - PROFIT
That reminds of this old guy in downtown Toronto sometimes. He had a 4 foot high steel milk canister with a rod set vertically thru it. On either end was a bike rim with spokes. All manner of different types of wires (piano, bass, guitar ectra...) were attached to the spokes of the rims they ran down from the top on slope vertically to the handle of the can and the arced back out in the other direction and attached to the lower bike rim. He created intervals and tunings by attaching a bolth thru a washer with a nut on the end on the strings. He had some pickups attached to the milk can that ran into some efx and then to his amp. He would play his contraption with a bow arcing around it 360 degrees plucking it and stuming. It was pretty crazy to hear that thing being played in a little nest of tall buildings that created a big reverb chamber of sorts. I think he even had a name for it but I forget what it was.

I always wanted samples of that thing. Maybe I will just build my own. How hard can it be to steal a couple bike rims and an old milk can?
Hades wrote: stop being such a total dick, honestly.

Patriek
Mititei

Post by Patriek »

2 macbooks / windows PC
Ableton Live
Analog four
Maschine
RME Fireface (19")
UC33e
Akai MPK mini
Yamaha Rm1x (collecting dust)
Some behringer mixer
Beyerdynamics headphones (yet to arrive)

Nothing special really :)
Don't try for perfect, it's never enough
https://hearthis.at/patriek/
http://www.soundcloud.com/patriek

AxeD
durchfall

Post by AxeD »

karwa wrote:that yamaha mixer looks fine. doesn't have to be top sounding at all. and functionality wise it seems ace especially for the money.
AxeD wrote:
karwa wrote: Cyclone TT-303 ...sadly don't use it either

not sure yet. a mixer? an octatrack? a guitar? volca sampler? a tattoo? pretty undecided...

why do you want to trade? ;)
A US Fender HM with OBL lace pick ups?

Hades
Shit Eater

Post by Hades »

Wiu wrote:
Drum Machines:

Boss DR-660
MFB-503
MFB-522
Yamaha RY10
Yamaha RY20
Yamaha RX8
Yamaha RX5 (and all the official carts)
Kawai R100 (with 3 sound proms mod)
Roland R8 (circuit bent by Circuitbenders)
Yamaha RM50
Yamaha DD-10
Vermona DRM1 MkIII
Veromna Kick Lancet
Roland TR-626
Cheetah MD16
drum machine addiction ?
Sin cambios no hay mariposa

Hades
Shit Eater

Post by Hades »

Mattias wrote:I agree with the previous two gentlemen. Too much stuff been nasty for me also, hence why I tucked away much of it and now it's collecting dust
It's been said before, but I'll repeat it again : it's not about the gear.
In the end the only thing really helpfull is putting in the hours.

HW synths + drum stuff :

Roland XV88 (main controller keys, almost never used for sound sources, though it still stands the test of time pretty well for its age)
Alesis Andromeda A6 (love it)
Oberheim Xpander (becoming friends with it, but I consider it the "high maintenance woman" of my synths, mostly used as sound source or for long ambient jams)
Ensoniq Fizmo (very exotic stuff)
Roland Juno-60
Roland JX-10 (almost never used)
Rolnd SH-101
Roland TB-303
Roland R-5 (circuitbent, almost never use it, should probably sample it and sell it)
Jomox Xbase888
Oberheim Matrix 1000 + Access programmer
Kawai K5000r + Macro Control box (lovely additive madness)
Kurzweil K2600r (still gotta start using it more)

Other outboard :

FX :

Eventide H8000 (obviously love it)
TC Electronic Fireworx
OTO Biscuit Sherman Filterbank 2x2 (not getting used enough)
Sherman Rodec Restyler

Controllers :

APC40 (twice, but only 1 in use)
Triggerfinger (never use it)
BCR2000 (somewhere in my attic)
Livid Code V2 (don't use it enough, probably cause I'm usually too lazy to route knobs)
MPK25 (used it far more a few years ago, bought it for on the road use really)
Doepfer MAQ 16/3 (barely used it at all, might sell it in the future, but I'll sleep on it for another year or so)

Other stuff you need :

3x half-normalized patchbays
MOTU MIDI express 128 (need a 2nd one)
Apogee Duet (for on the road) + Ensemble (studio)
Furman PL-Pro DMC E power conditioner (everything expensive gets power through that thing)
Midas Venicef 32 (couldn't do without anymore, but would probably get the 24 if I'd have to buy it again, don't really need 32 anymore nowadays)
Focal Twin 6BE (absolutely love 'em)
Grado SR325 + Ultrasone Pro750 + Phonon SMB-02 (perfect headphones)

Laptop :

MBP with SSD

SW (partly listed) :

Tassman4 (should use it more)
Arturia Synths komplete (or whatever the pack is called, have barely used it, keep forgetting I have it)
Kombinat Dva
Alchemy (haven't used it in years) + Camelspace + Camelphat
D16 komplete (only use the same stuff : Sigmund, Devastor, Decimort, and sometimes a few of the other FX, barely use the drums and Lush synth)
Fabfilter (all the FX)
Bazzism2
Aalto (not enough used)
NI komplete (barely use it)
SPL transient designer, twintube, fullranger,...
Soundtoys FX bundle
Omnisphere (use it all the time) + Stylus RMX (love it)
MFM2

oh yeah, almost forgot : Essex Steinway piano EUP-123, still my most expensive piece of gear.

As you can see from the times I wrote "not enough used" behind a piece I listed, it's just not helping you to have X amount of gear.
What you need is time and patience. Putting in the hours...

Hades
Shit Eater

Post by Hades »

oh and an old tape recorder I've been meaning to use for ages.
and a semi-broken Zoom H2 (can't use it on batteries any more) and Tascam DR-07 MKII

probably forgot a few more things, but it doesn't matter much.

Wiu
Slowy J

Post by Wiu »

Hades wrote:
Wiu wrote:
Drum Machines:

Boss DR-660
MFB-503
MFB-522
Yamaha RY10
Yamaha RY20
Yamaha RX8
Yamaha RX5 (and all the official carts)
Kawai R100 (with 3 sound proms mod)
Roland R8 (circuit bent by Circuitbenders)
Yamaha RM50
Yamaha DD-10
Vermona DRM1 MkIII
Veromna Kick Lancet
Roland TR-626
Cheetah MD16
drum machine addiction ?
Honestly, probably a bit yeah. A nice Akai XE8 turned up this morning so I can add that to my list too. I know I don't need them all and the amount of kit, hardware or software, doesn't help you make decent music, but it's just nice to have options.
Thank you for the laughs, debate, new music found, production tips etc etc over the years. I wish Subsekt and everyone all the best for the future. Wiu.

Hades
Shit Eater

Post by Hades »

well, any time you wanna sell that Vermona DRM1 MkIII for less than 100€, I'll do you a favour...

youtu.be/aGuNsiSZ9RI

:mrgreen: ;)

Wiu
Slowy J

Post by Wiu »

The kick alone is worth 100 imo. All the rest is a bonus.

UN!T B
pregnant

Post by UN!T B »

Hades wrote:
Mattias wrote:
It's been said before, but I'll repeat it again : it's not about the gear.
In the end the only thing really helpfull is putting in the hours.

HW synths + drum stuff :

Roland XV88 (main controller keys, almost never used for sound sources, though it still stands the test of time pretty well for its age)
Alesis Andromeda A6 (love it)
Oberheim Xpander (becoming friends with it, but I consider it the "high maintenance woman" of my synths, mostly used as sound source or for long ambient jams)
Ensoniq Fizmo (very exotic stuff)
Roland Juno-60
Roland JX-10 (almost never used)
Rolnd SH-101
Roland TB-303
Roland R-5 (circuitbent, almost never use it, should probably sample it and sell it)
Jomox Xbase888
Oberheim Matrix 1000 + Access programmer
Kawai K5000r + Macro Control box (lovely additive madness)
Kurzweil K2600r (still gotta start using it more)

Other outboard :

FX :

Eventide H8000 (obviously love it)
TC Electronic Fireworx
OTO Biscuit Sherman Filterbank 2x2 (not getting used enough)
Sherman Rodec Restyler

Controllers :

APC40 (twice, but only 1 in use)
Triggerfinger (never use it)
BCR2000 (somewhere in my attic)
Livid Code V2 (don't use it enough, probably cause I'm usually too lazy to route knobs)
MPK25 (used it far more a few years ago, bought it for on the road use really)
Doepfer MAQ 16/3 (barely used it at all, might sell it in the future, but I'll sleep on it for another year or so)

Other stuff you need :

3x half-normalized patchbays
MOTU MIDI express 128 (need a 2nd one)
Apogee Duet (for on the road) + Ensemble (studio)
Furman PL-Pro DMC E power conditioner (everything expensive gets power through that thing)
Midas Venicef 32 (couldn't do without anymore, but would probably get the 24 if I'd have to buy it again, don't really need 32 anymore nowadays)
Focal Twin 6BE (absolutely love 'em)
Grado SR325 + Ultrasone Pro750 + Phonon SMB-02 (perfect headphones)

Laptop :

MBP with SSD

SW (partly listed) :

Tassman4 (should use it more)
Arturia Synths komplete (or whatever the pack is called, have barely used it, keep forgetting I have it)
Kombinat Dva
Alchemy (haven't used it in years) + Camelspace + Camelphat
D16 komplete (only use the same stuff : Sigmund, Devastor, Decimort, and sometimes a few of the other FX, barely use the drums and Lush synth)
Fabfilter (all the FX)
Bazzism2
Aalto (not enough used)
NI komplete (barely use it)
SPL transient designer, twintube, fullranger,...
Soundtoys FX bundle
Omnisphere (use it all the time) + Stylus RMX (love it)
MFM2

oh yeah, almost forgot : Essex Steinway piano EUP-123, still my most expensive piece of gear.

As you can see from the times I wrote "not enough used" behind a piece I listed, it's just not helping you to have X amount of gear.
What you need is time and patience. Putting in the hours...
Is the Access programmer specific to the Matrix 1000 or is it universal. I think it's just for the Obie, no? I have been after an Access programmer for my MWI for a while now. Everytime I find one its a small fortunate. There one on fleabay for 950 GBP. It's fucking retarded asking price....

Lost to the Void
subsekt
subsekt

Post by Lost to the Void »

My current gear is an OG Kush and Purple Haze hybrid.

Very helpful for all this industrial doom metal I am making.
Mastering Engineer @ Black Monolith Studio
New Shit
Techno is dead. Long live Techno.

Hades
Shit Eater

Post by Hades »

UN!T B wrote:
Is the Access programmer specific to the Matrix 1000 or is it universal. I think it's just for the Obie, no? I have been after an Access programmer for my MWI for a while now. Everytime I find one its a small fortunate. There one on fleabay for 950 GBP. It's fucking retarded asking price....
it's specifically made for the Matrix 6 or Matrix 1000.
Access used to make MIDI controllers before they started with their Virus series.
So yeah, you need the model they made for the MWI.

I can imagine they are asking stupid prices for them nowadays, just like they ask stupid prices for the roland PG controllers (forgot to mention my PG800 for my JX10 in my list).
But maybe you can replace it with some other controller.
I know there is a preset designed for the BCR2000 that can (theoretically) replace my Access programmer.
I presume someone out there must have made something similar for the MWI.
If not for the BCR2000 perhaps for another controller, or even for a tablet.
I heard someone mention just a few days ago how he's using a Novation controller on his alpha-juno, using a preset that replaces his PG-programmer.

I just like to have specific controllers for specific synths, so I'd never replace my access programmer with a BCR2000,
but I have to admit it's nice to see the value of your parameters, and something like the BCR2000 or Novation controller give you exactly that.
I hate that "turn the knob untill you hear it change" or even worse if you wanna slightly adjust a parameter and your knob is totally at the other side from a previous sound so it jumps to another extreme.
You find stuff like cutoff or resonance setting back almost immediately, but with envelopes it might take you a little longer.
It's the same thing with the PG sliders.

UN!T B
pregnant

Post by UN!T B »

Hades wrote:
UN!T B wrote:
it's specifically made for the Matrix 6 or Matrix 1000.
Access used to make MIDI controllers before they started with their Virus series.
So yeah, you need the model they made for the MWI.

I can imagine they are asking stupid prices for them nowadays, just like they ask stupid prices for the roland PG controllers (forgot to mention my PG800 for my JX10 in my list).
But maybe you can replace it with some other controller.
I know there is a preset designed for the BCR2000 that can (theoretically) replace my Access programmer.
I presume someone out there must have made something similar for the MWI.
If not for the BCR2000 perhaps for another controller, or even for a tablet.
I heard someone mention just a few days ago how he's using a Novation controller on his alpha-juno, using a preset that replaces his PG-programmer.

I just like to have specific controllers for specific synths, so I'd never replace my access programmer with a BCR2000,
but I have to admit it's nice to see the value of your parameters, and something like the BCR2000 or Novation controller give you exactly that.
I hate that "turn the knob untill you hear it change" or even worse if you wanna slightly adjust a parameter and your knob is totally at the other side from a previous sound so it jumps to another extreme.
You find stuff like cutoff or resonance setting back almost immediately, but with envelopes it might take you a little longer.
It's the same thing with the PG sliders.
Yeah I figured it was specific for the OB. I just get all amped up when I see an access controller as they are very hard to come by...

I have a Novation Remote Zero Mk1. Works great for the MW. Gives access to something like 120 parameter iirc. The MW is deep when it comes to synthesis. 2 aux 8 stage positive & negative envelopes, 2 lfo, it can even do alternate tunings like just intonation.

If it wasn't for the Novation I might have given up on the MW.
Functionally the Novation is excellent I can hook it up to the MW and control it and then have it control parameters in Ableton just by changing the template knob. If even does bi directional communication too, so Ableton values are displayed on its screens and updated in realtime.

Beyond that it's an ugly plastic piece of shit that feels like crap. Having an access controller for the MW would be nice. Save some space on the desk when I only need few parameters. Plus it's metal and wood ends. Besides the MW feels sort of incomplete without its dedicated controller. Guess I'm just neurotic, but not so much so that I am willing to drop +$1500 for a box with some knobs. :lol:

Hades
Shit Eater

Post by Hades »

yeah I've seen and felt how plasticy the novation is when I've come across one in other people's studio's.
seeing the parameter value on screen is great though.

I can guarantee the access controllers look and feel wonderful, their build quality is superb.
but I bought mine when they were still affordable. I think I paid 200€ for mine, but that must have been more than 12 years ago.

Barfunkel
Smalahove

Post by Barfunkel »

Barfunkel wrote:I got a simple setup.

Aira TR-8 for most of the drums
Analog Four for most of the synth sounds
Streichfett for some string sounds
Octatrack for sequencing the Streichfett plus some random samples
Strymon Big Sky for some reverb.
Zoom 1201 for some random FX
Shure SM-58 mic
Zoom H4n portable recorder
Boss BX-8 mixer, when I feel like making dirtier stuff
Soundcraft EPM12 when I feel like making something cleaner

Been thinking about rotating some gear though. Mostly been tinkering with the idea of selling the A4, the Streichfett, the Big Sky and the Soundcraft and replace them with a Moog Sub 37, an Avalon Bassline, some delay unit and a cheap 90's rompler.
Changes!

Sold the Streichfett and the Big Sky. Analog Four and EPM12 are on sale, but no buyer yet.

Bought an Emu Vintage Pro (I really needed a nice old rompler). When I sell the A4, I'll buy a Moog Sub Phatty with the money. Time to make some funky stuff instead of cold Swedish techno!

A friend of mine also bought an Emu SP1200, we'll be making some proper hip hop this summer!
"I don't shower every day, but when I do, I do it after listening to some Barfunkel" - Anonymous

http://soundcloud.com/user4904810
http://www.mixcloud.com/Barfunkel/