Equipment - Bag - Flight....???

Electronic Music Production // Dark Arts
breakz
Onions
Equipment - Bag - Flight....???

Post by breakz »

At the moment I am preparing my live set-up so have to figure a way travelling safe with my gear too.

Have you ever seen the gear Skudge bring on stage ?
I bet all these can not travel in a couple of handbags,right :)
Aren't they afraid of loosing a bag after they check it in ?
I wonder what happens if for example one of their bag goes to a wrong destination.
Do you have any experience ?
For me all this is a big nightmare.

At the moment I think my live setup looks like this, 3 Eventide pedals,APC40,Fireface800,Maschine MK2,15" Laptop and cables and I am looking for a handbag,backpack,whatevert to fit them all,is it possible ?

thanks.

Lost to the Void
subsekt
subsekt
Re: Equipment - Bag - Flight....???

Post by Lost to the Void »

I've always made sure my live kit will fit in cabin baggage. I never let my gear at the mercy of baggage handlers.

There are tons of padded kit bags that fit overhead locker restrictions.

Unless you use a sodding access virus like me, then there are no bags that fit.
Mastering Engineer @ Black Monolith Studio
New Shit
Techno is dead. Long live Techno.

Mattias
subsekt
subsekt

Post by Mattias »

Yeah seconded that its good to try to keep all in the cabin baggage.
Music Page: http://www.facebook.com/Mattias.Fridell.Music
Soundcloud: http://soundcloud.com/fridell
Sample packs: http://mfsamples.bandcamp.com

Contention / 005

LucidSamples
Interact. Don't Spam.

Post by LucidSamples »

just pack your gear to hand baggage

Faust
Alf Garnett

Post by Faust »

May I suggest to take a look at Pelican Cases. Quite pricey but y'know.
They also do customised foam inserts to fit your exact gear.

youtu.be/GVzZnCaO0Dg
Last edited by Faust on Sat Mar 28, 2015 2:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Faust
Alf Garnett

Post by Faust »

Sorry, website: http://www.pelican.com/custom/

By the way. If you ever find yourself in the situation where you cant get everything in your hand baggage then most airlines have a desk for fragile check in baggage (just make sure that shits protected and not just thrown in a rucksack though of course). I always check my records in to said desk.

Actually took my live set-up overseas for the first time at the start of this month. Took it as hand luggage in one of these here >>> http://tinyurl.com/px9pgjo
The stuff that I didnt fit in the bag (spare leads etc) I put in my record bag and checked in to the fragile desk.
I wouldn't recommend this bag however ;) A bag without a trolley thats full of gear aint that much fun, but yeah, there were no hassles taking it onboard.

A pelican case is now top of my shopping list.

Hades
Shit Eater

Post by Hades »

breakz wrote:At the moment I am preparing my live set-up so have to figure a way travelling safe with my gear too.

Have you ever seen the gear Skudge bring on stage ?
I bet all these can not travel in a couple of handbags,right :)
Aren't they afraid of loosing a bag after they check it in ?
I wonder what happens if for example one of their bag goes to a wrong destination.
Do you have any experience ?
For me all this is a big nightmare.

At the moment I think my live setup looks like this, 3 Eventide pedals,APC40,Fireface800,Maschine MK2,15" Laptop and cables and I am looking for a handbag,backpack,whatevert to fit them all,is it possible ?

thanks.
might I suggest you have a look at the Mono products ?
and this one in particular :

http://monocreators.com/the-365/

I've got this a few years ago, cause I was looking for a backpack that could pack my laptop and the Akai MPK25, and still hold cables, soundcard,...
It's originally designed for DJ's, and more precisely for vinyl DJ's, but Mono makes superb travelling bags.
TOTALLY waterproof. They advertise that you can shower with them, and though I haven't tried doing that, I've walked through many rainy days with my gear totally dry. :)
And that 365 is AFAIK their biggest backpack that can still be checked in as hand luggage.

I'm 100% positive the bag can hold your laptop and the APC40, plus soundcard and cables.
The rest will have to find another way of transportation I suppose.

I used to carry my gear in an ableton backpack, but the Mono stuff is far far better than that Ableton backpack.
Sin cambios no hay mariposa

Hades
Shit Eater

Post by Hades »

oh yeah, just read this on their site :
Our guarantee :
This product is covered under our Lifetime Warranty. As well as our hassle-free return policy.
you don't see that very often.

After years of heavy use of my 365 bag, the only thing that broke off was a small piece at the corner of my "plastic lock piece",
but that can easily be replaced if I wanted it to (it still works fine, so I didn't bother to replace it uptill now).

only downside I see in this bag is the width. (vinyl-size + 2 side-bags)
If you're inside a stuffed metro, people will bump into your backpack.

I've recently bought my mrs this one :

http://monocreators.com/the-flyby/

and once again I was absolutely amazed at the superb quality of their products.
These bags were designed from the ground up for travelling musicians.
They might come a bit pricey, but they're totally worth it !

Lost to the Void
subsekt
subsekt

Faust wrote:Sorry, website: http://www.pelican.com/custom/

By the way. If you ever find yourself in the situation where you cant get everything in your hand baggage then most airlines have a desk for fragile check in baggage (just make sure that shits protected and not just thrown in a rucksack though of course). I always check my records in to said desk.

Actually took my live set-up overseas for the first time at the start of this month. Took it as hand luggage in one of these here >>> http://tinyurl.com/px9pgjo
The stuff that I didnt fit in the bag (spare leads etc) I put in my record bag and checked in to the fragile desk.
I wouldn't recommend this bag however ;) A bag without a trolley thats full of gear aint that much fun, but yeah, there were no hassles taking it onboard.

A pelican case is now top of my shopping list.
The fragile desk means the baggage handlers kick it harder, and they will say so themselves if you ask them.

I'm reasonably sure those pelican cases are outside the Ryanair/squeezyjet size restrictions.
New Shit

Hades
Shit Eater

Post by Hades »

Lost to the Void wrote:
I'm reasonably sure those pelican cases are outside the Ryanair/squeezyjet size restrictions.

for what it's worth, I can guarantee you from personal experience I've flown several times with the 365 being admitted as hand luggage.

Faust
Alf Garnett

Post by Faust »

Indeed the 1440 case is too large for Ryanair carry on, there are however many others that are suitable dimensions (sadly without the trolly attachment admittedly). http://www.pelican.com/case_category.ph ... ium%20Case

The "1510 Carry On Case" is like 2cm too big for Ryanair (sneaky shits that they are) http://www.pelican.com/cases_detail/Case/1510/
But yeah, there are many options.

Ryanair :
"One cabin bag weighing up to 10 kg with maximum dimensions of 55cm x 40cm x 20cm, plus 1 small bag up to 35 x 20 x 20 cms may be carried per passenger"

Pelican 1440 :
50 x 30.5 x 45.7 cm

I cant really comment on "The fragile desk means the baggage handlers kick it harder" I only have your word on that one (which Im by no means discrediting chap) ;)
I can say that Ive not once had a problem with my records in almost 10 years, but records are records and gear is gear so...

Faust
Alf Garnett

Post by Faust »

Hades wrote:
Lost to the Void wrote:

for what it's worth, I can guarantee you from personal experience I've flown several times with the 365 being admitted as hand luggage.
Hi there Hades, I cant find any 365. Do you have a link perhaps good sir?

Lost to the Void
subsekt
subsekt

The thing is the cheap flight services have really tightened up on overhead baggage, mainly cost of the cunts who try to take their entire wordly possessions on to the plane because they are too cunting cheap to spend the 12 quid for hold luggage, which means those of us who actually need the cabin baggage get penalised.
Cunts.

These days they check at check in and at the gate, so you gotta be careful.

I'm still trying to find a bag that can fit my kit that also fits the baggage limitations.
Sodding access virus is impossible to find a case for.
New Shit

Hades
Shit Eater

Post by Hades »

Faust wrote:
Hades wrote:
Lost to the Void wrote:

Hi there Hades, I cant find any 365. Do you have a link perhaps good sir?
I gave you a direct link in my first post

guess I'll have to post it again...

http://monocreators.com/the-365/

I've flewn across Europe with this bag as hand luggage and never had airline people complain

Hades
Shit Eater

Post by Hades »

of course, I can't guarantee that all airlines will accept it at all times, but yeah, the flights I took it on, I never heard anyone complain.

UN!T B
pregnant

Post by UN!T B »

Hades wrote:
In North America its common courtesy to remove your backpack if you are on transit so as to not wack other people with it while you move around. Bunch of European savages.... :lol:
Hades wrote: stop being such a total dick, honestly.

Lost to the Void
subsekt
subsekt

Hades wrote:of course, I can't guarantee that all airlines will accept it at all times, but yeah, the flights I took it on, I never heard anyone complain.

Yeah that 365 is fine, not a pelican case.
I'd get that 365 myself but yet again, another bag that can't fit a fucking virus.
New Shit

Hades
Shit Eater

Post by Hades »

Lost to the Void wrote:
Hades wrote:of course, I can't guarantee that all airlines will accept it at all times, but yeah, the flights I took it on, I never heard anyone complain.

I'd get that 365 myself but yet again, another bag that can't fit a fucking virus.
I think you can perfectly fit a virus in there.
I can fit my MPK25 and laptop in there, so it would amaze me if you wouldn't be able to fit a virus in there.

Hades
Shit Eater

Post by Hades »

UN!T B wrote:
Hades wrote:
In North America its common courtesy to remove your backpack if you are on transit so as to not wack other people with it while you move around. Bunch of European savages.... :lol:

doesn't make much difference in this case, it still stays the same width whether you carry it in your hands or have it on your back.
but you're right, we're total savages here compared to North America...

youtu.be/TDCh4-pKrrE

Lost to the Void
subsekt
subsekt

Hades wrote:
Lost to the Void wrote:

I think you can perfectly fit a virus in there.
I can fit my MPK25 and laptop in there, so it would amaze me if you wouldn't be able to fit a virus in there.
Nope, look at the dimensions 17inches external. That's the size of the virus.
I need at least 19 inch internal to fit the virus, it's a sodding pain in the ass.
New Shit