Dark Lab / Studio Thread

Electronic Music Production // Dark Arts
Mattias
subsekt
subsekt
Re: Dark Lab / Studio Thread

Post by Mattias »

Victor wrote:Just an update on my working space. Was a while ago since I posted mine.. The keyboard shifts all around the room, just what works best at that moment. Monitors are on stands and 'floating' just above the shelf on the desk.

Tidy. What's the panels?
Music Page: http://www.facebook.com/Mattias.Fridell.Music
Soundcloud: http://soundcloud.com/fridell
Sample packs: http://mfsamples.bandcamp.com

Contention / 005

tsurani
non reader

Post by tsurani »

One of my friends that moves around quite a bit, bought some blank canvases and stuck normal foam tiles to them.
Just a guess but it looks like Victor might have done something similar

lahtac
Interact. Don't Spam.

Post by lahtac »

Hades wrote:to mr Iahtac : don't worry : just some small domestical problems to be dealt with here.
has nothing to do with you. :) ;)

nice setup.
would love to hear your alpha-juno.
any tracks you used it in ?
The only thing that I have recorded of the alpha juno that I have online is this; https://soundcloud.com/lahtac/veloreso
Not your most typical Juno or alpha sounds, but just a bit of fun playing with velocity and resonance. Only two notes are triggered; G# and C# (noticeable in the key change). Thought it was fun how the velocity interacted with the resonance to generate different tones even though the same note is played. It's a great synth but the alpha dial, membrane buttons and menu system can make it a pain. Thankfully there's a few sysex apps that you can use in place of a PG300, I opted for the Novation Zero SL Mk II for a more hands on approach - does the job!

I had a chance recently to compare the audio realism ReDominator synth for comparison. Stabs and the iconic hoover sounds are very similar but it doesn't recreate the velocity/resonance in the same way as the original synth.

Don't get the time I'd like to spend with it and make the most out of it, but I could never part with it. If I ever get round to recording more techno orientated stuff I'll be sure to stick them up!

Victor
beast

Post by Victor »

ICN wrote:All these studios are so fucking tidy. My music room is an absolute pigsty.
Whatever works best for you, may be just part of your creative mind (in a good way)! Must admit that I have moved some paperwork to an other place, but I like working in a neat environment. So that nothing distracts me.
Alume wrote:Sick studio.
Thanks man !
Mattias wrote:Tidy. What's the panels?
Made those myself with pyramid foam glued to canvas. I also made some hanging on my wall (not visible in pic.) and covered my whole door with the material. It is not ideal, but since this room is just like a white empty box, it helped a lot in reducing the 'ringing' sound in my room. Besides that I find that it contributes to the setting I like in a music-making environment.
tsurani wrote:One of my friends that moves around quite a bit, bought some blank canvases and stuck normal foam tiles to them.
Just a guess but it looks like Victor might have done something similar
Indeed! Those panels give you much flexibility in re-arranging or when moving to a new place. :D

Hades
Shit Eater

Post by Hades »

lahtac wrote:
The only thing that I have recorded of the alpha juno that I have online is this; https://soundcloud.com/lahtac/veloreso
Not your most typical Juno or alpha sounds, but just a bit of fun playing with velocity and resonance. Only two notes are triggered; G# and C# (noticeable in the key change). Thought it was fun how the velocity interacted with the resonance to generate different tones even though the same note is played. It's a great synth but the alpha dial, membrane buttons and menu system can make it a pain. Thankfully there's a few sysex apps that you can use in place of a PG300, I opted for the Novation Zero SL Mk II for a more hands on approach - does the job!

I had a chance recently to compare the audio realism ReDominator synth for comparison. Stabs and the iconic hoover sounds are very similar but it doesn't recreate the velocity/resonance in the same way as the original synth.

Don't get the time I'd like to spend with it and make the most out of it, but I could never part with it. If I ever get round to recording more techno orientated stuff I'll be sure to stick them up!
haha, I made a similar sound/half finished track with a sound just like that, using my Xpander. Called it "orbital" cause it reminded me of an old orbital track.
I had the chance to buy an alpha-juno once around 10 years ago, even tried it out in my studio for a brief while, but I had just bought a juno-60 a year earlier, and I didn't have much space in my studio back then, so I didn't go for the offer.
I wonder how much you'd pay for an alpha-juno nowadays, I bet they're still rather cheap.
Sin cambios no hay mariposa

Barfunkel
Smalahove

Post by Barfunkel »

Hades wrote: I wonder how much you'd pay for an alpha-juno nowadays, I bet they're still rather cheap.
400€-ish usually.
"I don't shower every day, but when I do, I do it after listening to some Barfunkel" - Anonymous

http://soundcloud.com/user4904810
http://www.mixcloud.com/Barfunkel/

Alume
Confetti

Post by Alume »

Victor wrote:Bla Bla

Hey man, how are you liking those A7x's? they are pretty neat right?

Victor
beast

Post by Victor »

Alume wrote:
Victor wrote:Bla Bla
Hey man, how are you liking those A7x's? they are pretty neat right?
+1 for the quotation. They are quite an improvement to my previous monitors (HiFi speakers). Got them on stands for a week now, also helped a lot in the clarity of the lower frequencies. Still have to get used to them, ended buying new ones (with big discount), still in the 'burning in'-fase I guess. The tweeter is a bit harsh now.. One of the first things I did was listen to some tracks of yours, since I know you have them too! I understand where you came from now.

Did some quick mixes, 'detail' was the first thing I noticed. Pretty decent those Adam's :D

UN!T B
pregnant

Post by UN!T B »

Here's my setup. CS-3 on the master bus...

Hades wrote: stop being such a total dick, honestly.

quest
will fuck for food

Post by quest »

Here are some current pics of the two studios I am running:

PS: I suck at photography. Hiring a pro at some point...

Studio A: Techno, Alternative Rock, Video Game Production and Post-Production:
http://studios.musiclink.info/studio-108/
Studio B: Lounge, Downtempo, R%D:
http://studios.musiclink.info/studio-1709/

Vorlis
hunger marcher

Post by Vorlis »

Myself and two mates where looking for a space/room to make some tunes away from the house and it snowballed into two floors of studio, we ended up with a control room, 2x live rooms and rehearsal room. Just putting the finishing touches to the place now with some clouds made from an old parachute from ebay! So much material for 60 quid! The website has gone live and our overheads are being covered, thank fuck! just wish id more time to make some techno ffs, not used to all this real work shit..

http://www.ramalley.com

Alume
Confetti

Post by Alume »

Some serious studio's you guys got there. I sleep&live in mine haha

mainst09
Traits

Post by mainst09 »

UN!T B wrote:I noticed this too. There has been an increase the past couple months.

honestly.
Voices From Cindy's Cunt

mainst09
Traits

Post by mainst09 »

Hades wrote:
UN!T B wrote:
Hades wrote: it's a simple question, not a command.

and you don't have to join in if you don't want to.
my only purpose of that topic was that I felt like it had been long enough that 2 people paid with their own money to keep a place up where quite a few of our regular members get a lot back from, which is also why I mainly aimed that "let's support subsekt" topic at the regular members, though anyone is free to contribute.

if you feel so bad about this place, why did you leave and come back at all ?
I don't recall saying I feel bad about this place. When did I ever say that? Show me where.

Its completely the opposite. I like the fact that somebody created a place dedicated to techno. That is the reason I came back....

I tried to help you with your Ensemble problem but I guess I failed. :lol: Then I helped the dude with 3 midi controllers.
Also discussed the Analog Rytm at length and commented on the sync issue that exists. I try to post useful information...

Like my sig? Nice... :roll:

well, if you put a smiley right after you type :
Now somebody is asking me to give money to this place... :lol:
it doesn't come across as if you like it a lot here.

The ensemble problem has nothing to with this.
Like I said sir, your help was very much appreciated.
and yes, you do post helpful information, which is always a good thing.

but you don't have to post that in your sig sir,
you could just ask Pedro if he actually meant it or not,
sometimes the guy has a real dry sense of humour.
using it in your sig kind of reminds me of the Jews and the Holocaust :
always having to remind the whole world of when someone did them harm (giving them the perfect excuse to be the meanest country in the Middle East).
yes, 6 million Jews got killed in a horrible way, but an additional 5 other million people got killed as well (gypsies, gays, resistance people,...),
but you never hear those other 5 million people talk about it anymore.

Anyway, extreme example, but you get the idea : why post it in your sig as a constant reminder ?

I'm pretty good at telling jokes
Voices From Cindy's Cunt

Alume
Confetti

Post by Alume »

Dudes ,

Alume
Confetti

Post by Alume »

Pedro is a good joker.,

Hades
Shit Eater

Post by Hades »

mainst09 wrote:

I'm pretty good at telling jokes
this is Pedro on a good hair day :

Hades
Shit Eater

Post by Hades »

Snivitz wrote:Myself and two mates where looking for a space/room to make some tunes away from the house and it snowballed into two floors of studio, we ended up with a control room, 2x live rooms and rehearsal room. Just putting the finishing touches to the place now with some clouds made from an old parachute from ebay! So much material for 60 quid! The website has gone live and our overheads are being covered, thank fuck! just wish id more time to make some techno ffs, not used to all this real work shit..

http://www.ramalley.com
just out of curiosity, but I read on your site :
Electronic Music Production : For DJ's looking to get into music production or artists sick of working ITB all our equipment is made available to you with an engineer to guide you through the process. £180 per day
that engineer, is that someone who actually has a degree, or just someone who knows his way around the gear that's in your studio ?
cause, no offence, but that seems like serious money for a day, considering there isn't anything really high-end in your gear-list.
you get a lot of customers that want to pay this ?

I liked that "throttle" track on your SC page btw.

Vorlis
hunger marcher

Post by Vorlis »

I agree its to expensive, when we where discussing rates we unsure of how to price our time for this service so we decided to run with the same price as a days tracking, id be happy and more comfortable offering this for around £80 tbh. It should be accessible/affordable for anyone with an interest really.
We are revising our rates and services atm and we'll update the site at the end of the month. As we have had no costumers for this service yet i realise it priced to high. But we are flat out tracking and have a back log of mixing to get through, so things are picking up in other areas which is nice.

We all studied sound engineering & music technology together for three years, two of us continued our studies online wile one got a job for a year working along side a well respected mix engineer/producer in a busy studio, after that we didn't know what to be at really, so we decided to look for a place to work away from the kids, pets and crazy women in our lives then we found the wonderful John Sayers forum and Sketch up and it got outa hand real quick, if the rent wasn't so cheep id still be twiddling knobs in my shed.

So we've all had some formal education in the field but not to degree level, id love to continue my studies in a collage environment but the work coming through the door is paying the bills and is as good as experience as any i suppose.
We are working on a buskers album on our down time which is getting some interest, each artist records up to three pieces of original music, we compile and release the album, they get some free studio time and we get people talking about our spot, local radio should give it some time, and hopefully help towards any possible funding from the arts council for some badly needed gear.

Anyway, thanks for the feedback and listen mate, its much appreciated, just remember it doesn't really count until you click that wee heart thingy, ya cheeky sod ye :-)

Any extra feedback on the site is more than welcome mate, we are only a few months in and still working out the kinks...

Barfunkel
Smalahove

Post by Barfunkel »

Sold some stuff, bought some stuff. Here's the current, humble setup:

"I don't shower every day, but when I do, I do it after listening to some Barfunkel" - Anonymous

http://soundcloud.com/user4904810
http://www.mixcloud.com/Barfunkel/