What Monitors / Headphones do you use?

Electronic Music Production // Dark Arts
msl
║▌║█║▌│║▌║▌█
Re: What Monitors / Headphones do you use?

Post by msl »

Well the DT880 are ridiculously comfortable! You don't even feel like your wearing headphones!

www.bernadettetrax.bandcamp.com
www.soundcloud.com/michaellovatt

“Once men turned their thinking over to machines in the hope that this would set them free. But that only permitted other men with machines to enslave them.” Dune

ashley BORG
Small Penis

Post by ashley BORG »

msl wrote:Well the DT880 are ridiculously comfortable! You don't even feel like your wearing headphones!

Does it feel like wearing pants over your head?

msl
║▌║█║▌│║▌║▌█

Post by msl »

Hum ok your second producer I know singing their praises... gotta check them out even though I just bought 880's! But not many people selling them round here... asides from Inervisions it seems...
Hades wrote:Last purchase was the Phonon SMB-02, and I'm totally in love with them.
Though they are a closed type of headphones, the still let in a tiny bit of noise, which also helps to stop the ear fatigue to come up too soon.
They're simply perfect for studio use, but I even use them for my iPod, even though the cable is too long for it, and you definitely hear the iPod has raeched it's limits with headphones that good.

But I can't help it, their sound is very addictive. Extremely detailed and perfect low end in my opinion.

Not cheap though, but to me they sound as though they should normally ask twice the price for a pair like that.
www.bernadettetrax.bandcamp.com
www.soundcloud.com/michaellovatt

“Once men turned their thinking over to machines in the hope that this would set them free. But that only permitted other men with machines to enslave them.” Dune

G-Nova
Suspect Handshake

Post by G-Nova »

i´m using one AKG K171 MK2 and Yamaha HS5 for Monitors, my sound is clear and the same in the headphones...

Planar
subsekt
subsekt

Post by Planar »

msl wrote:Well the DT880 are ridiculously comfortable! You don't even feel like your wearing headphones!
They are fucking lush. Lovely cans.

Hades
Shit Eater

Post by Hades »

msl wrote:Hum ok your second producer I know singing their praises... gotta check them out even though I just bought 880's! But not many people selling them round here... asides from Inervisions it seems...
Hades wrote:Last purchase was the Phonon SMB-02, and I'm totally in love with them.
Though they are a closed type of headphones, the still let in a tiny bit of noise, which also helps to stop the ear fatigue to come up too soon.
They're simply perfect for studio use, but I even use them for my iPod, even though the cable is too long for it, and you definitely hear the iPod has raeched it's limits with headphones that good.

But I can't help it, their sound is very addictive. Extremely detailed and perfect low end in my opinion.

Not cheap though, but to me they sound as though they should normally ask twice the price for a pair like that.
they're not easy to come by, no.
when I looked them up, I found some shop in Italy and some shop in the UK.
Got them through the UK shop, but yeah, not many people sell these headphones.
Not many people have heard of them either.
Phonon is just a small Japanese company that makes only 1 or 2 products, if I'm not mistaken.
But they sure make superb headphones !
I'm even thinking about getting a 2nd pair and shortening the cable just for mobile use.
But I'm too broke for the moment to afford such luxury and these don't come cheap.
Sin cambios no hay mariposa

Hades
Shit Eater

Post by Hades »

if it's any reference. I used to use a pair of grado SR325i, and a pair of ultrasone pro 750.
and of course an old trusty pair of sennheiser HD25-II for my iPod, together with one of those in-neck models for doing sports.

The grado's are open, and I used to use them at work because I wanted to be able to hear my phone while working on some music and/or clips.
The Phonons are closed buy yet with their little airholes you can still hear just enough noise from the outside world,
so I can use them at work, and use them with my iPod and I'll still hear more traffic coming towards me when I'm crossing the street or something than I had with my HD25-II on my head.

Usually I want to hear as little from the outside world as possible, but ever since I was just 0,5cm away from getting killed by a car while crossing on a zebra-crossing (car I couldn't see coming because there was a firetruck blocking the view), I have completely given up on the idea of getting noise-cancelling headphones some day. :?

I wouldn't say the Phonons are as "unbreakable" as the HD25-II's which I've literally used as "ear protectors" (with iPod for music of course) while working hours and hours with sanding machines, and breaking out floors and stuff.
But then of course no one in their right mind would use an expensive pair like the Phonons for that.
That's why I still have my other pairs of headphones, right ?

The ultrasone pair is closed but has very low ear pressure, so was perfect for me since I'm very sensitive on that subject.
I've got hyper-acusis, and one of the things I can't stand for example, are those in-ear models. I just can't stand stuff inside my ears. So any closed models usually give me the creeps in no time, can't explain why.
The ultrasones also have a kind of "unique sound staging" so to say, hard to explain, you just gotta listen to one of them to understand what I mean. Not bad at all, but not always what you'd really want all the time either.
The ultrasones are nice, but the Phonons are far far better.
Sin cambios no hay mariposa

nocernoc
unsure

Post by nocernoc »

it's funny that dj headphones should be mentioned for production because i remember using senheizer hd25 and i honestly think they were much better than the beyerdynamics in terms of accuracy. my only problem with them is that the they hurt my ears cause they never had the can shape and i think fatigue was also worse.

Críoch
subsekt
subsekt

Post by Críoch »

Love the sound of the 25's but they are definitely like a medieval torture device on your head after not so long periods. Like a fucking vice. I almost get delirious sometimes wearing them for long spells. Fatigue indeed.. But they do sound good. .
KennethExack wrote:My kids and I are completely shocked by the specialized secrets that everyone has on this forum
>> Click here for NEW POSTS on subsekt <<

Dialog I The Hole I subsekt Blog I The Bench I IG I SC I Mixes I FB

nocernoc
unsure

Post by nocernoc »

ICN wrote:Love the sound of the 25's but they are definitely like a medieval torture device on your head after not so long periods. Like a fucking vice. I almost get delirious sometimes wearing them for long spells. Fatigue indeed.. But they do sound good. .
+1 on the vice. funny thing that more fatigue comes with more accuracy. is that universal do you think? like, does it happen with monitors tooo. which one's are you using right now?

Mattias
subsekt
subsekt

Post by Mattias »

Since we're 8again) on the topic on cans; I can't (again) stress enough how great HD650's are!
Music Page: http://www.facebook.com/Mattias.Fridell.Music
Soundcloud: http://soundcloud.com/fridell
Sample packs: http://mfsamples.bandcamp.com

Contention / 005

Barfunkel
Smalahove

Post by Barfunkel »

Mattias wrote:Since we're 8again) on the topic on cans; I can't (again) stress enough how great HD650's are!
Have you compared them to the HD600's? I've been thinking about getting one or the other.
"I don't shower every day, but when I do, I do it after listening to some Barfunkel" - Anonymous

http://soundcloud.com/user4904810
http://www.mixcloud.com/Barfunkel/

Mattias
subsekt
subsekt

Post by Mattias »

Sorry to say I never compared the two. But both are ace as far as I know, comes down to personal preference a bit I reckon
Music Page: http://www.facebook.com/Mattias.Fridell.Music
Soundcloud: http://soundcloud.com/fridell
Sample packs: http://mfsamples.bandcamp.com

Contention / 005

Lost to the Void
subsekt
subsekt

Post by Lost to the Void »

nocernoc wrote:
ICN wrote:Love the sound of the 25's but they are definitely like a medieval torture device on your head after not so long periods. Like a fucking vice. I almost get delirious sometimes wearing them for long spells. Fatigue indeed.. But they do sound good. .
+1 on the vice. funny thing that more fatigue comes with more accuracy. is that universal do you think? like, does it happen with monitors tooo. which one's are you using right now?
Fatigue comes with poor balance, over emphasised mids or raspy top end or high volume, it doesn't come with accuracy, that's how I can use my monitors all day and feel comfortable.
When I get my B&W's 802's it will be even better, a beautiful bed of sound.
Mastering Engineer @ Black Monolith Studio
New Shit
Techno is dead. Long live Techno.

Críoch
subsekt
subsekt

Post by Críoch »

It's more of a physical thing Steve.. Or appears to be anyway. They're so snug that it eventually becomes unbearable to wear both st sane time. I'm talking for anything over an hour. Absolutely fine for spot checking things.. But for me it's more the physical uncomfortableness.

I never considered what you said before as a contributing factor. Maybe. I guess it's hard to say but I guess I need to take small breaks from them. Don't know why I don't.
KennethExack wrote:My kids and I are completely shocked by the specialized secrets that everyone has on this forum

Lost to the Void
subsekt
subsekt

I was talking to nocknarc

I pretty much get physical discomfort from all overhead phones too. But I do have a massive fucking concrete slab of a head.
New Shit

nocernoc
unsure

Post by nocernoc »

for me it was both the squashed-ear-pain and ear fatigue stopping me going long sessions on the hd25. i do recall reading something about emphasis on top and mids causing fatigue now come to think of it.

the best thing i remember about the hd25 is that i could hear exactly when frequencies from two sounds overlap and that's what i mean about accuracy; dunno if that right. i don't get that as much with the 770s but maybe my hearing isn't what it used to be.

i still get pain with the 770s but that cause i'm bald and the top arch thing chafes my scalp. :D

i'll definitely give those higher-end senheizers a go next time fo sho.

Críoch
subsekt
subsekt

Post by Críoch »

I was actually talking to a different Steve

nocernoc
unsure

Post by nocernoc »

ICN wrote:I was actually talking to a different Steve
thought you were talking to johnhaness heil

Lost to the Void
subsekt
subsekt

nocernoc wrote:
ICN wrote:I was actually talking to a different Steve
thought you were talking to johnhaness heil

I only do that whilst masturbating in the mirror.

wearing all my Nazi paraphernalia.

Including my Waffen SS Buttplug.
New Shit