Distribution Quandry (vinyl / digital / companies / self )

General Chat // Music Discussion
ross-alexander
endless
Distribution Quandry (vinyl / digital / companies / self )

Post by ross-alexander »

Hi,

Hit a little wall with some future planning, does anybody have experience of distribution swaps (digital swap so so can run with a vinyl / digital distro via same company), vinyl only distribution (companies that would consider this) or direct vinyl distribution (self press / self sales / direct sales to stores)? I'd love to hear a bit of info as I have plotted several potential moves but it is essential I make the right one. Hope you are having a good weekend!

Lost to the Void
subsekt
subsekt
Re: Distribution Quandry (vinyl / digital / companies / self

Post by Lost to the Void »

Direct sales is very very difficult to do, most stores just aren't interested unless they are ones you can physically go to, locally.

I'm not sure I understand what you mean by distro swaps.. You might need to explain more clearly.

I think we are in for another crash this year, all the signs are emerging again, the few dustris left for techno are over subscribing, way too many labelX-001's out there (ie new labels) lots of p&d' swerve kicking about. The same thing has happened every time we've seen lots of distros go down, so I would be very cautious.
Mastering Engineer @ Black Monolith Studio
New Shit
Techno is dead. Long live Techno.

ross-alexander
endless

Post by ross-alexander »

What I mean is the distribution company I have been in touch with seems keen to take over digital as well reading between the lines / possible paranoia. Must admit looking at their product compared to some stuff I own am reluctant to spend money there anyway. Yes I can see a lot of over subscription. Not entirely sure what the answer is. All of it is taking away my energy for actually helping myself and making music. Hmm

Wiu
Slowy J

Post by Wiu »

Lost to the Void wrote:Direct sales is very very difficult to do, most stores just aren't interested unless they are ones you can physically go to, locally.

I'm not sure I understand what you mean by distro swaps.. You might need to explain more clearly.

I think we are in for another crash this year, all the signs are emerging again, the few dustris left for techno are over subscribing, way too many labelX-001's out there (ie new labels) lots of p&d' swerve kicking about. The same thing has happened every time we've seen lots of distros go down, so I would be very cautious.
I don't know much about this kind of stuff, but I reckon you're right. In this I want everything for nothing (or as little to nothing as possible) age, vinyl is always gonna end up going down the shitter again. Or not so much the shitter, just back to where it was before it became in fashion/cool to spin records again. Sooner the better in my opinion. It will just be record collectors like me again and DJ's that aren't just buying the medium as part of a fad. Always fucking annoying missing out on a vinyl release just to see Discogs marketplace full of copies for twice+ the price.
Thank you for the laughs, debate, new music found, production tips etc etc over the years. I wish Subsekt and everyone all the best for the future. Wiu.

ross-alexander
endless

Post by ross-alexander »

I have managed to get pretty much all the answers I need for this through talking to people this weekend so no need to worry about responses unless there is anything to add. Much happier with how to proceed now :)

Lost to the Void
subsekt
subsekt

I can only add that most vinyl distributers want to handle the digital as well, especially if you P&D as it is a way for them to buffer themselves against the potential risk (and it is a risk) of pressing vinyl.
New Shit

ross-alexander
endless

Post by ross-alexander »

That's what I heard Steve and makes perfect sense that really, just trying to nibble away and find the definitive solution. It's something I've always wanted to do, just casting the net out a little wider to assess the options. Thanks!

Lost to the Void
subsekt
subsekt

The best way Used to be splitting your (vinyl) distribution with 2 distributors, like give them a thousand each, or 500 each or whatever.

These days you gotta put all your eggs in one basket, and pick very carefully, distributors are the hardest people to deal with in the scene.
New Shit

ross-alexander
endless

Post by ross-alexander »

Yes I am guessing so because ultimately it's pure number crunch, hardly the easiest part to deal with in a saturated / not the most buoyant marketplace.

ross-alexander
endless

Post by ross-alexander »

Experience so far whilst tricky has also been a beneficial learning one :)