New Ableton Beta (PDC fix)

Electronic Music Production // Dark Arts
Planar
subsekt
subsekt
New Ableton Beta (PDC fix)

Post by Planar »

Just a heads up that Ableton have released a new Beta today, it seems to have a lot of new stuff. The big news appears to be a fix to the PDC issue people have been moaning about for a long time. There's a new (I think anyway) device, a tuner, and some small improvements for Push. Looking forward to checking this out tonight.

The release notes:

Added the Tuner Device to the Live audio effects.
Added a "Start Transport with Tap Tempo" preference to determine if Tap Tempo is going to activate playback.
Improved tempo detection for warped audio files where the tempo appears to be constant.
Improved the sound of Complex and Complex Pro Warp modes.
Added the option "Warp Selection as x-Bar Loop" in the context menu when right clicking on a time selection inside an audio clip.
Live Sets that contain Max for Live devices or third-party plug-ins now have lower latency.
Automation and Modulation are now fully latency compensated.
Modifying the Arrangement loop brace with mouse or keys will not affect the current track selection, while previously all tracks were selected as soon as the braces where adjusted with the mouse.
Dropped compatibility for Windows XP and Vista, OS X 10.5 and 10.6.
Bugfixes:

When switching between Note and Scene mode with the APC20, the Pad LEDs would occasionally not update correctly.
The Session Ring would not be entirely displayed on screen anymore when navigating through tracks if the Live Set contained folded Group tracks.
Fixed a bug in the Axiom Air 25, 49 and 61 Control Surface remote script, where the Send mix mode controlled the available Sends for the currently selected channel, instead of controlling Send A for the first 8 channels.
Fixed a bug in the MPK Control Surface remote script, where the Record Arm button had to be pressed twice to be toggled, and Exclusive Arm would not work.
Fixed a bug in the Vestax VCM600 Control Surface remote script, where the Punch In and Punch Out controls would work only as momentary toggles.
Fixed a bug which caused artefacts in the waveform visualisation when increasing the Gain on low amplitude audio clips.
Live would not display bluetooth audio devices in the Input and Output device menu under Preferences-->Audio
When controlling a number of mixer or device parameters via Aftertouch, crackles could be noticed in the audio stream.
The Live browser "All Results" label would not remember the settings for the optional second column.
Fixed a rare crash which might happen on OS X with certain input sources.
Fixed a crash which might occur when deleting several Max for Live devices from a Live Set at once.
Live would crash when quitting the application while renaming a Groove in the Groove Pool.
Changes for Push:

Added 64 Pad Drum Rack mode for Push. The Note button now toggles between the Drum Rack three section layout and the 64 Pad Mode.
Improved Aftertouch response and added an Aftertouch Threshold setting in the Push User Preferences
Added Modwheel functionality for the Push Ribbon Controller. Tapping the Ribbon Controller while holding "Select" toggles between Pitch Bend and Modwheel function.
Holding "Delete" and tapping an encoder on Push resets the respective parameter to the default setting.
Holding "Shift" while turning an encoder on Push changes the respective parameter with finer resolution.
Improved buttons readability on Push. The Repeat and Metronome buttons now blink if active.
When recording using Repeat on Push, the MIDI notes would be recorded with a negative offset with respect to the grid if the option “Reduced Latency when Monitoring” was on. This caused the very first note in the Clip not to be played back at all.
Using "Shift" + "Add Effect" or "Add Track" while in Scales mode would cause the display to show the Note Layout options even after releasing the Shift button.
When selecting a Drum Rack Pad set to Multisample mode with Push, pressing “Device In” with Push would automatically select the first device in the Chain list, and it would not be possible to go back to the enclosing Instrument Rack device.

tdmusic
Informer
Re: New Ableton Beta (PDC fix)

Post by tdmusic »

Wow, didn't think they'd fix that so soon (well, not soon in the grand scheme of things, but I thought it might not happen til 10). Not that I've ever had issues with it but I know it bothered a lot of people. Will be interested to see if that makes people happy. Glad to see some Push updates in there too (even though it'll probably break the scripts I did ;))

Hedges
Chernobyl

Post by Hedges »

Great updates and shit but how did it take them so long to allow modwheel functionality in the touch strip?

UN!T B
pregnant

Post by UN!T B »

Human wrote:Great updates and shit but how did it take them so long to allow modwheel functionality in the touch strip?
The main functionality of Live is dealing with audio. Midi was added later in its development. Every thing to do with midi has been added after the fact. For instance there is no way to do a program change in live to switch patches. Instead you have to hot swap devices. Altho R.Henke did build and release a pgm change device in M4L... Even after all this time midi is still a weak spot for Ableton.
Hades wrote: stop being such a total dick, honestly.

rktic
Utter Cunt

Post by rktic »

Way about time they fix their stupid Latency compensation. Tripping straight on my nuts for ages. Wonder why nobody around here has any gripes with it.

youtu.be/c-kL9O74so8

Planar
subsekt
subsekt

Post by Planar »

It's probably very reliant on a persons style of working. I bounce to audio quite a lot and tend not to have long fx chains at the point I'm automating. I don't ever come across a problem (that I'm aware of or care about). However, I'm very glad they've fixed it.
tdmusic wrote:Wow, didn't think they'd fix that so soon (well, not soon in the grand scheme of things, but I thought it might not happen til 10). Not that I've ever had issues with it but I know it bothered a lot of people. Will be interested to see if that makes people happy. Glad to see some Push updates in there too (even though it'll probably break the scripts I did ;))
I think the groundswell of opinion about it probably forced their hand. I bet it must have take a fair amount of redevelopment to fix it.

I think we'll eventually see a lot of the PXT functionality for Push made official. Haven't they hired the guy that made it? I really hope they improve VST integration at some point.

ozias_leduc
ANAL

Post by ozias_leduc »

rktic wrote:Way about time they fix their stupid Latency compensation. Tripping straight on my nuts for ages. Wonder why nobody around here has any gripes with it.

youtu.be/c-kL9O74so8
hey i have a big gripe about it - and i have griped about it here mister.

you should read my posts, they're great

seriously if this fixes the PDC .. that will be amazing.

Mslwte
subsekt
subsekt

Post by Mslwte »

This update doesn't support mac 10.6 or windows xp and vista.

I would have to upgrade my os.
https://soundcloud.com/mslwte
https://noizefacilityrecords.bandcamp.com
https://www.instagram.com/subsekt909
https://www.facebook.com/subsekt909/
Lost to the Void wrote:Fuck off, get some tequila down ya neck and make some noise you cunt....

Lost to the Void
subsekt
subsekt

Post by Lost to the Void »

Get windows 7 you worm
Mastering Engineer @ Black Monolith Studio
New Shit
Techno is dead. Long live Techno.

msl
║▌║█║▌│║▌║▌█

Post by msl »

Working nicely here...

www.bernadettetrax.bandcamp.com
www.soundcloud.com/michaellovatt

“Once men turned their thinking over to machines in the hope that this would set them free. But that only permitted other men with machines to enslave them.” Dune

Planar
subsekt
subsekt

Post by Planar »

Mslwte wrote:This update doesn't support mac 10.6 or windows xp and vista.

I would have to upgrade my os.
If you're still on XP or ( :o ) Vista, you should really upgrade. Windows 7 is actually really good and that's about to become legacy itself with win 10 around the corner.