Which artist consistently impresses you?

General Chat // Music Discussion
PixelKind
who is it?
Re: Which artist consistently impresses you?

Post by PixelKind »

i forgot to mention Cio D'Or. One has to remember that she is over 60 (!!) years old! And still playing sets all night long. Some of her stuff is a bit boring and too ambient for my taste but one has to admire her love for music

Hades
Shit Eater

Post by Hades »

PixelKind wrote:i forgot to mention Cio D'Or. One has to remember that she is over 60 (!!) years old! And still playing sets all night long. Some of her stuff is a bit boring and too ambient for my taste but one has to admire her love for music
she's over 60 ??
damn... I always thought she was like 40 and wearing far too much make-up. :)

I love most of her work all right.
Die Faser series are still some of my favourite vinyls.
"Goldbrokat"... just wow.

Where did you read she's over 60 ?
She started late with electronical music then, right ?
Sin cambios no hay mariposa

PixelKind
who is it?

Post by PixelKind »

I met her at a gig when i still lived in Asia when she toured there about 2 years ago. Also read it on some wiki but i cant find it right now. She was a contemporary dancer before and started late making music

Hades
Shit Eater

Post by Hades »

how come you lived in Asia and where exactly did you live ?

what's Cio D'Or like as a person btw ?

PixelKind
who is it?

Post by PixelKind »

she is really nice. but its funny cuz she cant stand still. she is always moving. u see that in interviews too. a habit i guess from being a dancer. and it was easy to talk to her since we were the only 2 german speaking people there. but we didnt talk long. i knew the organizers of the party so they introduced me

i lived in Taiwan for over 8 years. got there as a student and then just stayed. studied chinese and then worked there for a while. i'm only back in europe for about a year now

Hades
Shit Eater

Post by Hades »

it's funny, one of my best friend's friends is together with a chinese girl and they've been living in Taiwan now for 4 or 5 years now because the life standard is so much better over there.
He's a jazz musician, and contrary to jazz musicians in Belgium who are either always broke or semi-famous if they get lucky enough and are extremely talented or just play popular shit,
they take jazz rather "serious" in countries like Japan and Taiwan.

Always reminds me of "hellloooo, and welcome to jazz club" from The Fast Show when I think about "jazz" and "serious" in the same sentence :D

youtu.be/hSQVvjiXxJU

But over there you can make a proper living there as a jazz musician.

What made you come back after all that time ?
I'm sure you must hate the food here though.
Or maybe you are happy to be eating European food again after Asian food for so long.
I used to cook Asian food (Thai, Chinese, Vietnamese, Japanese, Korean,...) 8 out of 10 times before I had kids.
Now my 2 girls are always complaining about everything that looks even slightly suspicious, so I can forget to be cooking proper Asian food for at least another 5 years.
Or I gotta have an alternative dish ready for them.
Fucking sucks having kids when you like food with lots of different flavours.

PixelKind
who is it?

Post by PixelKind »

i came back mostly cuz of some family reasons and cuz working there with a local contract really sucks. haha. wanna spend a few year in europe and who knows maybe i find some european company sending me back to asia but with a proper contract ;)

yeah food is a big problem for me here. i pretty much never cooked in taiwan cuz u get great food 24/7 and its so damn cheap! so now i have to learn cooking (and i dont like it at all!) and if i wanna cook some asian stuff its quite difficult to get the right ingredients.

haha. yeah kids and good food can be difficult i guess. i used to be very picky as a kid. must have been a pain in the ass for my parents

Hades
Shit Eater

Post by Hades »

yeah my friend told the same story when he came back from visiting his friend : they just never cooked cause you found perfect food pretty much on every street corner for no money at all.

I love cooking though, which makes it even more painful when your kids are always nagging for the same stupid shit.
And my youngest just totally looks up to my oldest so whatever my oldest doesn't want to eat, my youngest isn't gonna eat any more either.
even if they used to eat everything before they were 2 years old : olives, ansjovis,...
now they're never happy.

PixelKind
who is it?

Post by PixelKind »

i have no choice now anyway but to learn it. but i hate planning for food. thinking what i need to buy for the meals over the weekend for example. my brain is not used to that. in Asia when i got hungry i just thought what i would want to eat and then go out and buy that. no planning or anything.

Hades
Shit Eater

Post by Hades »

I still hate planning on what to eat for more than 2 days in advance.
it just doesn't work that way for me.
And now that my car broke down for good 2 weeks ago, we gotta sometimes plan "what will we eat" for 4 days or more.
I hate it.
It's like saying "what music will you like/listen to in 4 days"
I don't fucking know.
I don't wanna know !
It shouldn't work that way, damn it !

PixelKind
who is it?

Post by PixelKind »

Exactly! I miss the convenience of getting pretty much anything 24/7 and within walking distance

Sey
Chernobyl

Post by Sey »

PixelKind wrote:i have no choice now anyway but to learn it. but i hate planning for food. thinking what i need to buy for the meals over the weekend for example. my brain is not used to that. in Asia when i got hungry i just thought what i would want to eat and then go out and buy that. no planning or anything.
The easiest way is to buy random vegs, some meat and make sure you always have milk, flour, eggs and various rice/pasta at home. If you learn how to cook just a bit you'll be amazed to see how much stuff you can do with very little and you'll never have to plan recipes.
It also stops you from getting into repetitive eating patterns (monday pasta bolognese, tuesday chicken salad, bla bla :( , eating should be fun)

And if you really don't like to cook, just see it that way : it's very similar to the process of making a track. It's all about balance, harmony, contrast and having fun. You chop, slice stuff. You throw it with other stuff that goes well together, then you mix the flavours properly so your main ingredients stands out and other are just here to enhance them.

Fuck I'd love to make my mixdowns as well as I cook scallops. :mrgreen:

PixelKind
who is it?

Post by PixelKind »

yeah i kinda try doing that already. just takes some time getting used to

gedda
Metric Martyr

Post by gedda »

Robert Hood. Dude knows how to be resourceful.

Hades
Shit Eater

Post by Hades »

true. Robert Hood keeps on delivering good tracks.

Alume
Confetti

Post by Alume »

Polar Inertia.. Man do I love waht they are doing. They are techno imo

Sadko
quasi-public

Post by Sadko »

Just listened to some polar inertia i love this kind of stuff good shout man thanks

Hades
Shit Eater

Post by Hades »

yeah it's great stuff, unfortunately impossible to buy on vinyl with discogs inflated prices...

Alume
Confetti

Post by Alume »

They have a few various artist releases but the first two eps on dement3d are impossible to find.

dylanlolwut
Metric Martyr

Post by dylanlolwut »

I never really thought about it until now, but Petter B has some serious tracks released.

I played this one out about 2 weeks ago, the place went tits up to say the least.
youtu.be/MOzOgi8ZTEs

I remember around December time I started a set with this, really good opener I think.
youtu.be/NAP7QqaZw9U
Greetings, brethren. Checketh out mine soundeth-cloud!