What's with all the 'check my track, give feedback' thanks

General Chat // Music Discussion
Lost to the Void
subsekt
subsekt
Re: What's with all the 'check my track, give feedback' than

Post by Lost to the Void »

Hades wrote:darth fader will not be happy to see this.

I actually once even knew a guy who had a slider broken on his 106, and he replaced the head of the slider with a broken off head from a darth vader doll,
hilariuos sight !
obviously the source for our stupid synth geek jokes :

Darth Fader !

or : "Luke !! I am your fader !!"

just did a quick search, apparntly the idea became quite popular.
There's even a "Darth Fader Recording" and a bunch of people with their sliders "tuned" to the dark side :lol:

I really really want darth vader fader tops.
Mastering Engineer @ Black Monolith Studio
New Shit
Techno is dead. Long live Techno.

Mslwte
subsekt
subsekt

Post by Mslwte »

ross-alexander wrote:Also hats off to the information Dons on here, you're very generous with your knowledge. That's the problem see I believe knowledge should be shared and it's a real buzz when people get it and you help them to grow. It's just nice when things are appreciated and people are able to carry out their own research. Laziness is a bug bear as is the me me me mentality!
Well said mate!
https://soundcloud.com/mslwte
https://noizefacilityrecords.bandcamp.com
https://www.instagram.com/subsekt909
https://www.facebook.com/subsekt909/
Lost to the Void wrote:Fuck off, get some tequila down ya neck and make some noise you cunt....

Mslwte
subsekt
subsekt

Post by Mslwte »

Really we can do with a bit of help with these types of things and I know a few people here have offers to help on the past but I have to be honest I can't remember who it was.

Please get in touch on Facebook if you would like to help, personally I would prefer to let a regular poster on the forum in to the back end.
Lost to the Void wrote:Fuck off, get some tequila down ya neck and make some noise you cunt....

Mslwte
subsekt
subsekt

Post by Mslwte »

Alume wrote:this topic is cool. Its good to see that we all care about the future of subsekt :ugeek:
It's great to see. We have been able to plod along until now I suppose. If you all think something needs to be done then it obviously does.

ross-alexander
endless

Post by ross-alexander »

I don't think it's got terrible but if things need a little nip in the bud and I can help in anyway would be a pleasure.

tsurani
non reader

Post by tsurani »

It is a difficult balance with something like this, limiting what people can post as a default
until they have hit a certain number of posts or been a member for x amount of time
has not worked all that well in the past on other forums I have been on.
A good group of moderators is the best solution, but finding the right people who have the time to put in can be difficult.

ross-alexander
endless

Post by ross-alexander »

True that, one positive that can be gleaned from this is that the forum has visibility, and the quality of the content, so in that way thumbs up folks!

willemb
Mild

Post by willemb »

I dont think any drastic changes should be made, yes there are quite a few of these posters, but its not so busy yet that they are flooding the forum from my point of view. As per previous comments, just ignore the ones that are spammy/unknown/not joining in/rubbish music.

I agree with tsurani that posting rules dont always work well in other places. Obviously there is going to be a point if there are too many selfie generation spammers that something might need to be done, but i personally dont think were quite there.

SquareTheCircle
quasi-public

Post by SquareTheCircle »

I think the first time posters wanting feedback are a great opportunity for hazing. Comments to these guys should be more sarcastic. Or no response given.

I don't think the site is rife with these guys. But it is an emotionally charged topic. One puts there heart and soul into a track. And these guys turn up and effectively say "I don't care about your music, no one cares about your music. I have this kick ass tune that will change the world."

But what can you do?.. Educate them about karma then educate them about music.
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
BandCamp: https://jonathanhart.bandcamp.com
SoundCloud WIPS: https://soundcloud.com/djsquarethecircle
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

SigEnt
will fuck for food

Post by SigEnt »

I think it's inevitable on a forum like this that you will get the "hey doodz, check out my beatz and like my soundcloud/facebook/arsecamp page" I guess it's up to the individual poster if they want to help, ignore or give 'em a ribbing. Also long as subsekt isn't totally swamped with such posts I guess it's just gonna be a minor annoyance to the regulars.

However the point has also been made that some people are just not qualified to advise because they just don't have the skill set/knowledge yet. Personally I think I fall into this category. I do listen to a lot of posted tracks and would love to give back to this community but short of saying I like this (or this is not really my bag) I find it hard to offer advice, so I just keep shtrum. The old adage "if you can't say anything useful........" applies here I think.

intrusav
Rolf Harris

Post by intrusav »

I think this place is still in good order.
Who cares about these guys that just want their ego stroked?
If they don't get it, they won't come back so ignore them or rip the piss or whatever.
The problem with having a minimum number of posts rule is that they'll start spamming the hole with pointless posts til they reach their quota.
That would be a bad move imo...
Besides, not sure about the rest of you but, I rarely visit the members tracks area. From the start it seemed to always be this kind of thing, full of random first time posters with boring tracks...

SigEnt
will fuck for food

Post by SigEnt »

Mslwte wrote:
ross-alexander wrote:Also hats off to the information Dons on here, you're very generous with your knowledge. That's the problem see I believe knowledge should be shared and it's a real buzz when people get it and you help them to grow. It's just nice when things are appreciated and people are able to carry out their own research. Laziness is a bug bear as is the me me me mentality!
Well said mate!
Seconded, you won't believe the amount of Eureka moments I have had whilst reading some of the posts on this forum.

Personally I think people should have a trawl through the forum before asking a question, it's likely to have been discussed before. For example typing the following into your favourite search engine can yield some diamond information.

Code: Select all

kick and bass site:subsekt.com

willemb
Mild

Post by willemb »

SigEnt wrote:However the point has also been made that some people are just not qualified to advise because they just don't have the skill set/knowledge yet. Personally I think I fall into this category. I do listen to a lot of posted tracks and would love to give back to this community but short of saying I like this (or this is not really my bag) I find it hard to offer advice, so I just keep shtrum. The old adage "if you can't say anything useful........" applies here I think.
I think many people would appreciate a "I really like this" or "I think the mix can possibly be improved a bit, but am not sure how?" type comment anyway. Or as the seasoned forum searcher you are, point people towards some threads for improving their track if you feel that they might actually listen to your advice. For me personally when I post stuff, there is a large part of me getting the loop-itis of listening to my own stuff too much and not knowing if my track is any good or not regardless of any technical aspects. If you do feel like giving advice, others will probably soon correct you if they think you are wrong. If everyone thought like you and the best and most well produced track in history got posted, it might not get any comments at all because no one thinks they've got the skill to say anything useful about it?

I personally don't bother too much anymore with the "its not really my bag comments", unless I want to give some technical feedback, along the old adage of "if you can't say anything nice don't say anything nice at all".

As long as you're honest I don't think it really matters if you're no expert. If you don't claim to know the answers to everything, there is nothing bad anyone can say about your comments. Everyone is a listener regardless of experience.

Alert
brown envelope

Post by Alert »

Hades wrote:darth fader will not be happy to see this.

I actually once even knew a guy who had a slider broken on his 106, and he replaced the head of the slider with a broken off head from a darth vader doll,
hilariuos sight !
obviously the source for our stupid synth geek jokes :

Darth Fader !

or : "Luke !! I am your fader !!"

just did a quick search, apparntly the idea became quite popular.
There's even a "Darth Fader Recording" and a bunch of people with their sliders "tuned" to the dark side :lol:

serious LULZ

Lost to the Void
subsekt
subsekt

Post by Lost to the Void »

SigEnt wrote:I think it's inevitable on a forum like this that you will get the "hey doodz, check out my beatz and like my soundcloud/facebook/arsecamp page" I guess it's up to the individual poster if they want to help, ignore or give 'em a ribbing. Also long as subsekt isn't totally swamped with such posts I guess it's just gonna be a minor annoyance to the regulars.

However the point has also been made that some people are just not qualified to advise because they just don't have the skill set/knowledge yet. Personally I think I fall into this category. I do listen to a lot of posted tracks and would love to give back to this community but short of saying I like this (or this is not really my bag) I find it hard to offer advice, so I just keep shtrum. The old adage "if you can't say anything useful........" applies here I think.

I think all opinions can help.
Even if you lack the experience to maybe have a complete solution. A comment such as "the mix seems a little muddy in the lows, or, the mix is a little sharp in the highs" or whatever, could prove helpful if some of the more experienced peeps have missed it.

And sometimes diving in and giving possibly the wrong advice, you can still end up learning something if you are corrected by someone who does know the solution.

I learned a lot this way in forums years ago.

There are people who have been posting very bad advice, misinformed, or just plain audiophile mythery, and it's something I try to keep a check on, subjective foofaa vs objective, practical facts with replicable results. But it soon gets corrected by someone.

The last thing you need is newbies looking for sound advice getting further confused by typical audiophool myths, it helps no one.
Mastering Engineer @ Black Monolith Studio
New Shit
Techno is dead. Long live Techno.

Planar
subsekt
subsekt

Post by Planar »

It's sad to see people avoid a whole section of the forum, some excellent stuff does get posted in there.

Of the regular posters who are active in the members tracks I think only Mattias posts with any real authority. The rest of us are just posting our perceptions and ideas. I say get involved, even if it's to say you like what someone did.

PixelKind
who is it?

Post by PixelKind »

i think most of the spam gets sorted out naturally anyway. if someone just posts a track asking for feedback as his first post and never comes back he wont get much feedback and that stuff can just be deleted after a week or so i would say. if u limit posting tracks to a certain post-count they will just spam everything until reaching that count and ruin other discussions. the way it is now u can at least easily make them out as spammers. anyone who is seriously interested in joining this community will do so naturally anyway and join discussions

Sey
Chernobyl

Post by Sey »

PixelKind wrote:i think most of the spam gets sorted out naturally anyway. if someone just posts a track asking for feedback as his first post and never comes back he wont get much feedback and that stuff can just be deleted after a week or so i would say. if u limit posting tracks to a certain post-count they will just spam everything until reaching that count and ruin other discussions. the way it is now u can at least easily make them out as spammers. anyone who is seriously interested in joining this community will do so naturally anyway and join discussions
+1

I think these "spammers" are still a minority of the posters. You're right when you say that it'll get sorted out naturally.
It's not like there's an army of Sam Paganini wannabees knocking at Subsekt's doors :ugeek:

Twilitez
You only live once

Post by Twilitez »

At least the volume of things is still manageable here. Over on IDMf theres simply too much stuff, regardless of the quality, format posted in, asking for feedback or not, its simply too much unless you strictly check out what your 'friends' do i suppose. I dont have friends.

Hades
Shit Eater

Post by Hades »

Lost to the Void wrote:
SigEnt wrote:I think it's inevitable on a forum like this that you will get the "hey doodz, check out my beatz and like my soundcloud/facebook/arsecamp page" I guess it's up to the individual poster if they want to help, ignore or give 'em a ribbing. Also long as subsekt isn't totally swamped with such posts I guess it's just gonna be a minor annoyance to the regulars.

I think all opinions can help.
Even if you lack the experience to maybe have a complete solution. A comment such as "the mix seems a little muddy in the lows, or, the mix is a little sharp in the highs" or whatever, could prove helpful if some of the more experienced peeps have missed it.

And sometimes diving in and giving possibly the wrong advice, you can still end up learning something if you are corrected by someone who does know the solution.

I learned a lot this way in forums years ago.

There are people who have been posting very bad advice, misinformed, or just plain audiophile mythery, and it's something I try to keep a check on, subjective foofaa vs objective, practical facts with replicable results. But it soon gets corrected by someone.

The last thing you need is newbies looking for sound advice getting further confused by typical audiophool myths, it helps no one.
absolutely agree with this.

and SigEnt, you did fine collecting more than 200 posts for someone who only spoke when he felt he had anything useful to add to the discussion. ;)

Personally I do believe in introducing a certain minimum amount of posts (or minimum of time !) before people can post a track here and expect feedback.
Seriously. The last 10 years, it has become easier and easier to make music, so tons more people are making music than when I grew up.
Result is great gear for great prices and SW that can do tons, and all for very little money,
but yeah, lots of shit music being made by folks who still believe there's tons of money and fame to be found in electronical music and more specifically in techno.

Why not introduce say a 50 posts minimum before you can post a track and expect feedback ??
I think it's quite hard to reach 50 posts by just spamming.
If you just take 20 it's easy enough to just quickly make some posts, but if you make it something like 50, it takes at least several weeks and if people do start to spam obviously just to reach the amount we can clearly see who will never be contributing anything useful.
Or introduce the time factor : a minimum of 3 or 4 months before expecting feedback.
I mean seriously : if you're new to producing : you're not gonna be making anything worth listening to in less than 6 months (if even that, I honestly think it takes years, but yeah),
so why should we be bothered to waste our time with it ?
And those people can always "work around" that rule if they really want feedback earlier by sending out PM's to people who they think might be giving them proper feedback, or posting a direct link to their SC.
If people want to ignore it there, then they still can, but at least it's not clouding up our subsekt forum.

Let's face it :
No we haven't reached the point yet where our "underground" status is in danger to become overruled by tons of newbies spamming this place making it impossible for all the proper helpful folks to look for decent info and/or give decent info back, or even just have a good laugh.
But let's face it : that point could be coming a lot sooner than we might think.
I for one had some guy contact me on my FB (which is my real name), coming from my posts on subsekt.
I'd like to keep both worlds apart, plus I'm not big on FB.
The guy was totally cool, and I'm ok with it, but it's kind of giving me a feeling of holding back with what I post here.
I even wanted to contact ICN and ask him to remove some of my more private ramblings.
If it continues to grow, I will eventually have no other choice than to hold back.

Subsekt is cult, it's proper cult, with a proper cunt-following.
I've posted thousands of posts on many fora in the past (and I've been active on fora since '99),
I'd really hate to see this place turn into some popular "place to be".
That's just not what/who/how we are.
:) ;)
Sin cambios no hay mariposa