Kicks to sample

Electronic Music Production // Dark Arts
Hades
Shit Eater
Re: Kicks to sample

Post by Hades »

yes it does.
and it runs in my family.
my mom takes a sleeping pill almost every night (I don't suppoort those so that's not an option for me), and yet she's usually awake for half the night.

I wouldn't mind without kids though.
I used to just get up whenever I had phases like that, and just sleep during the day.
But the kids will always be there at 6AM, and I'm usually awake from somewhere during 2AM to 5AM whenever I have insomnia.
Sin cambios no hay mariposa

Saul Goodman
Get a fucking avatar

Post by Saul Goodman »

baswillems wrote:Actually on second thoughts I take back my apologies you CUNTS!

I'm gonna go swat up on sound design, practice every day, come back here and post tracks that will fucking destroy your puny speakers.
Nice. That's more like it.

Disclaimer: This post is based on actual events. In certain cases incidents, characters and timelines have been changed for dramatic purposes.

Hades
Shit Eater

Post by Hades »

Sin cambios no hay mariposa

surface
Balance

Post by surface »

As an exercise, I spent the evening sampling a few kicks from other peoples tracks that I like and then tried rebuilding them from scratch in live using operator and simpler on a drumrack.
I learned from it by matching basic things, like levels/note length/eq/etc.
In fact it was a bit of an eye-opener because I guess I had some narrow-minded idea of what a kick "should" sound like, only to find out I was off the mark with a few of them.
Having said that, kicks can and will vary widely depending on other elements like basslines and, to an extent, percussion used ..

surface
Balance

Post by surface »

Saul Goodman wrote:
baswillems wrote:Actually on second thoughts I take back my apologies you CUNTS!

I'm gonna go swat up on sound design, practice every day, come back here and post tracks that will fucking destroy your puny speakers.
Nice. That's more like it.

Disclaimer: This post is based on actual events. In certain cases incidents, characters and timelines have been changed for dramatic purposes.
:D I think Bastardo is gonna settle in here just fine...

innovine
hmmmmmm...

Post by innovine »

surface wrote:As an exercise, I spent the evening sampling a few kicks from other peoples tracks that I like and then tried rebuilding them from scratch in live using operator and simpler on a drumrack.
In fact it was a bit of an eye-opener because I guess I had some narrow-minded idea of what a kick "should" sound like, only to find out I was off the mark with a few of them.
Having said that, kicks can and will vary widely depending on other elements like basslines and, to an extent, percussion used ..
You're doing it wrong. You're not supposed to learn anything by sampling. Anything else and you're on your man rag.

Mattias
subsekt
subsekt

Post by Mattias »

surface wrote:As an exercise, I spent the evening sampling a few kicks from other peoples tracks that I like and then tried rebuilding them from scratch in live using operator and simpler on a drumrack.
The proper way to do it. Good sir
Music Page: http://www.facebook.com/Mattias.Fridell.Music
Soundcloud: http://soundcloud.com/fridell
Sample packs: http://mfsamples.bandcamp.com

Contention / 005

Subconcious
broke

Post by Subconcious »

Hades wrote:
intrusav wrote:Dunno about the rest of you but seeing pictures of David Chikita on this forum is really pissing me off! Can we automatically replace it with a picture of a piece of Dairylea?

I agree 700000%
My brother-in-law (well, technically ex-brother-in-law since the sister of mine he was married to died a few years back) told us a few months ago very proudly that he was going to a David Guetta concert together with his current GF, as if he thought it would make him look more "cool".
My sister was a painter and didn't know much about music, but I'm pretty sure she was turning around in her grave... :shock:

I started laughing aloud and asked him why he didn't go to a Milk Inc concert immediately...
You probably don't understand Dutch, but the guy's so stupid he has been imitated for years now,
here's one of those better imitations, they're constantly saying how stupid the music is, and how he only needs 3 sounds for each track, and blablabla
The real Regi is actually playing along in this one, but that's only cause he knows there's no other option cause they'll never stop laughing with the guy's stupid music, plus he's clever enough to know that in his case there's no such thing as bad publicity.
One of his famous quotes : "waar zijn die handjes" = "where are those hands ???" (no puking smiley on subsekt unfortunately)

youtu.be/9phTZlmIzjQ

Whenever there's a family gathering (and I usually start playing piano sooner or later), his new GF (PR career woman) asks me to play "that Billy Joel track".
I so much love the moment where I have to remind her again I have never played any Billy Joel track in my entire life, but I can play 5 different Joe Jackson tracks.
It's also nice to deliberately start asking which one she means, or playing at least 3 of the other ones first and keep a straight face like "no, not that one you meant ?" :lol:
She probably thinks Joe Jackson's black... :?
I lost some braincells watching this video, damn sunday! :)

Subconcious
broke

Post by Subconcious »

Hades wrote: but anyways, never mind all that I'm trying to finish a track, I fucking hate mixing and doing arrangments, it just sucks.
Same here, i hate track mixdowns with a passion

Subconcious
broke

Post by Subconcious »

Alume wrote:
Zit niet te dromen jongen maak die track af!
Zeer goede raad :)

translated: great advice

Lost to the Void
subsekt
subsekt

Post by Lost to the Void »

Alume wrote:
Has Museum of Techno been posted here before? Its an educational must really

youtu.be/zoc9vUlu-BE
I don`t think it has. Very useful.
Mastering Engineer @ Black Monolith Studio
New Shit
Techno is dead. Long live Techno.

Planar
subsekt
subsekt

Post by Planar »

innovine wrote: You're doing it wrong. You're not supposed to learn anything by sampling. Anything else and you're on your man rag.
What's with the reductionist bullshit? Surface is copying other sounds as a learning exercise, he's not wholesale ripping sounds because he can't be arsed learning it himself. I agreed with your earlier point that are things to be learnt from sampling, in fact I doubt anyone here would disagree with you.

It takes 2 brain cells to know that the originator of this topic has no interest in learning any of them and just wanted the laziest solution possible.

intrusav
Rolf Harris

Post by intrusav »

I think he might just have misread the post...

Lost to the Void
subsekt
subsekt

Post by Lost to the Void »

Planar wrote:
innovine wrote: You're doing it wrong. You're not supposed to learn anything by sampling. Anything else and you're on your man rag.
What's with the reductionist bullshit? Surface is copying other sounds as a learning exercise, he's not wholesale ripping sounds because he can't be arsed learning it himself. I agreed with your earlier point that are things to be learnt from sampling, in fact I doubt anyone here would disagree with you.

It takes 2 brain cells to know that the originator of this topic has no interest in learning any of them and just wanted the laziest solution possible.
Exactly, considering how much time I spend with field recording, my contact mics and sample processing, I`m hardly against it. My original point still stands, OP`s "I can`t do this properly, what tunes can I sample!!???" was not a move to experimenting with sampling (which with his attitude at that point would have been "can you tell me good sampler settings?????", though I think he may have seen the light now), it was a cry for a quick easy fix.

Grab kick drum from good tune ---> Use kick drum in own tune ---> Nothing Learned.

Hence my rant about context and men periods.........

Kids these days....... :roll:
Mastering Engineer @ Black Monolith Studio
New Shit
Techno is dead. Long live Techno.