Namm

Electronic Music Production // Dark Arts
Lost to the Void
subsekt
subsekt
Re: Namm

Post by Lost to the Void »

Holy Pooper Scooper, overbridge is wonderful.

Guess I might get myself an Analog4 after all.

Shame the Octa is not part of the overbridge plan though :(
Mastering Engineer @ Black Monolith Studio
New Shit
Techno is dead. Long live Techno.

tsurani
non reader

Post by tsurani »

I don't know if there is a technical reason for why they couldn't?
Maybe that will change, I seem to remember them saying that they would never do something like overbridge
even though they had planned it from the start, so that they didn't put any pressure of expectation on themselves
to deliver something they might not make happen.
I hope Access are watching and thinking we could do something better than that.

tsurani
non reader

Post by tsurani »

Lost to the Void wrote:
Planar wrote:I've not really noticed a difference between the up faders and the gain trim tbh and I'm still rocking my djm600 here as well (note to self: buy a new mixer). But, each to their own; if it's working for you keep at it.
The gain/trim will effect the quality of the sound, the faders don`t so much as they aren`t controlling the channel amps.
When we used to set up rigs we would always do so, so that very little use of gain trims was needed as we set the levels based on vinyl with a low loudness.
Not a huge issue until you get on a big rig.
I wonder how much difference there would be in the fader curve of a gain pot on a typical dj mixer and the fader curve of the channel fader if you get what I mean.
I have always felt that the linear channel fader, fader curves on most dj mixers are a bit too much for doing gradual fades.
For example if you are using the full throw of the fader, most channel faders on dj mixers seem to have a noticeable jump in db at around half of the travel of the fader,
which seems to be because the curve they have used is so extreme/bent.

Lost to the Void
subsekt
subsekt

Yeah the extreme fader curves seems to be something of a problem of newer DJ mixers.
Not a problem with a nice rotary mixer of course.

I think some mixers now have swtichable fader curves though no?

(My only use of DJ mixers these days is plugging my live gear in to the back of them and generally frowning in disgust at nearly every DJ ever seemingly feeling the need to have all the meters redlining, so I`m really not that up on the fine details any more)
New Shit

tsurani
non reader

Post by tsurani »

To be honest I haven't paid much attention to new dj mixers myself.
I know that they have had user changeable fader curves for crossfaders for ages.
I think that Vestax were one of the first to do that, but they usually only made the curve more extreme
to the point that the crossfader was basically an on off switch which was great for scratch dj's.

I'm sure that the information is out there but whenever I look for information on the fader curve
of the famous rotary mixers I can't find it.
I just looked through the manual for the Xone V6
and it has a good few graphs in it but nothing for the fader curve.
That just seems strange considering that smooth fades are a major selling point
and these mixers are not cheap.

I see no reason that you couldn't easily get nice smooth fades with a linear fader that has the right type of fader curve
and a nice amount of physical resistance so you didn't have to be careful about moving it.

tsurani
non reader

Post by tsurani »

This looks interesting, but for some reason it looks like it would be a bit awkward to use to me
youtu.be/oLh6G1aLuzo

msl
║▌║█║▌│║▌║▌█

Post by msl »

Pretty mind boggling all the sweet new analogs. Its a great time to make music (and have money!!!!)

New Vermona looks and sounds sweet, as does the Prophet 6 and the new Oberheim Two Voice.

Only thing I can afford right now is the Korg SQ-1 just what I wanted, and so affordable.

www.bernadettetrax.bandcamp.com
www.soundcloud.com/michaellovatt

“Once men turned their thinking over to machines in the hope that this would set them free. But that only permitted other men with machines to enslave them.” Dune

tsurani
non reader

Post by tsurani »

Yeah some great stuff coming out in my opinion.
I wonder if all these new analog synths coming out
will put a stop to the crazy prices on the old stuff.

Lost to the Void
subsekt
subsekt

tsurani wrote:Yeah some great stuff coming out in my opinion.
I wonder if all these new analog synths coming out
will put a stop to the crazy prices on the old stuff.
Nope
New Shit

Planar
subsekt
subsekt

Post by Planar »

tsurani wrote:
Lost to the Void wrote:
Planar wrote:I've not really noticed a difference between the up faders and the gain trim tbh and I'm still rocking my djm600 here as well (note to self: buy a new mixer). But, each to their own; if it's working for you keep at it.
The gain/trim will effect the quality of the sound, the faders don`t so much as they aren`t controlling the channel amps.
When we used to set up rigs we would always do so, so that very little use of gain trims was needed as we set the levels based on vinyl with a low loudness.
I wonder how much difference there would be in the fader curve of a gain pot on a typical dj mixer and the fader curve of the channel fader if you get what I mean.
I have always felt that the linear channel fader, fader curves on most dj mixers are a bit too much for doing gradual fades.
For example if you are using the full throw of the fader, most channel faders on dj mixers seem to have a noticeable jump in db at around half of the travel of the fader,

Most mixers let you set the cross fader curve. I mix exclusively with the up faders, I find the control of boths channels volume this way means you create your own fader curve, if you like. I get very gradual mixes like this, I blend for ages (especially 4x4) so it's ultra important to me. The only mixers I've ever had to adapt to are those channel scratch ones, which are horrific for my style, even the up faders are aggressively curved.

willemb
Mild

Post by willemb »

From my limited experience I have never liked channel faders on pioneer mixers. I much prefer the response of A&H channel faders. I have also never been a crossfader man, so I often resort to gain trim knobs when I am using a pioneer somewhere. (saying all this i dont dj or even mix at home much or often at all)

Lost to the Void
subsekt
subsekt

I`ve never liked pioneer mixers, I still don`t, not a clean signal in sight.
New Shit

AxeD
durchfall

Post by AxeD »

I'm usually quite lenient towards people sending a hot signal from
an A&H or a nice mixer for live sets. DJM gets a different treatment.

Planar
subsekt
subsekt

Post by Planar »

My DJM has done me alright, I've had it over 10 years. I bought it as it was what I was playing out on most of the time. I've not replaced it as it's not a cost I can easily justify with not getting enough time on the decks these days. Never used the FX or any of that shite.

Although I'm really used to it, I've never found the curves to be sharp. I've no idea why you'd want to go to the gain knob and I've always thought I was a bit more obsessed with layering tracks than most DJs I've played with. I've played on a load of A&H's, Ranes etc. it's why I like up faders only, I create the curve as the 2 tracks dictate.

Anyway, NAMM....

willemb
Mild

Post by willemb »

youtu.be/C7HwMugaJqw

Rolands red light range of products rather than the AIRA green lights...

This Roland JD-XA might become an interesting synth too? The JD-XI reminds me of the Micro Korg a bit, too presetty for me, but the layout of this JD-XA (silent preview, just a case) reminds me more of Nord Lead type synths.

Wiu
Slowy J

Post by Wiu »

tsurani wrote:
Lost to the Void wrote:
Planar wrote:The gain/trim will effect the quality of the sound, the faders don`t so much as they aren`t controlling the channel amps.

Most mixers let you set the cross fader curve. I mix exclusively with the up faders, I find the control of boths channels volume this way means you create your own fader curve, if you like. I get very gradual mixes like this, I blend for ages (especially 4x4) so it's ultra important to me. The only mixers I've ever had to adapt to are those channel scratch ones, which are horrific for my style, even the up faders are aggressively curved.
I'm the opposite here. I have the crossfader set to the aggressive scratch one and then do all fading with the faders and gain/trim knob. I think I prefer to use the gain knob, especially for fade outs, as I seem to be able to do a nice constant slow fade. When I do the same with a fader, I guess my hand goes a bit twitchy or something. I've never really noticed weird curves on the few DJ mixers I've used faders.
Thank you for the laughs, debate, new music found, production tips etc etc over the years. I wish Subsekt and everyone all the best for the future. Wiu.

Wiu
Slowy J

Post by Wiu »

youtu.be/soREY-IFCck

Meh. Why haven't audio interfaces started using USB 3 yet? Just seems a bit crazy to keep plugging away with USB 2.0 when USB 3 is surely well established enough by now. Here's my wish list for any manufacturer that might read this:

I want a 20 Input (say 12 mono and 4 stereo) and at least 4 output channel mixer and audio interface combination with MIDI in and outs ports. Obviously all 20 channels would be able to multi track record and all inputs and outputs would be 1/4" and XLR. I'd also like it to have 4 band EQ with sweepable frequencys on ALL channels, at least 4 buses (also available to record individually), a high pass filter with adjustable frequencies on all channels, dedicated output channel for USB output channels and all the other normal mixer features - aux, inserts, nice clean sounding preamps (gain for stereo channels) etc etc.

Maybe wishful thinking, but I honestly have no idea why a product along these lines doesn't already exist. Maybe it does and I've just never come across it? My old Tascam M-164UF could multitrack record 8 channels over USB and it was great. The cunts never released Windows 8 drivers though :/
Thank you for the laughs, debate, new music found, production tips etc etc over the years. I wish Subsekt and everyone all the best for the future. Wiu.

Wiu
Slowy J

Post by Wiu »

youtu.be/jtCHJAO-HB4

Now that is a thing of beauty. WANT!!

What a bastard decision to have to make though. One of these or the Korg MS-20M :?

willemb
Mild

Post by willemb »

New soundhack crazyness plugins coming up, the flipper sounds cool!

youtu.be/Mnxc3wGvzpI

willemb
Mild

Post by willemb »

some of these guitar pedal guys are far more far out weird than all these analog synth remakes... too much tremolo for my liking, but I am intrigued what this might do to beat, sample or synth signals:

youtu.be/6_AerHyYxwg