The last "weird" or unu vst effect you had lots of fun with?

Electronic Music Production // Dark Arts
Lag
athlete
The last "weird" or unu vst effect you had lots of fun with?

Post by Lag »

AVOX Throat here. Unless used in extreme ways you can really modify voices to sound different and still natural. Really comes in handy when I have to change voices of samples that have been used in hundreds of tracks since the early 90s to give them some new spark. It can also "pull out" a vocal so that it fits a certain mix better. Here's an example:

youtu.be/H9FabyVThto
You can hear the vocal sample on the beginning of this track. It sound pretty much unedited in the Timba track (it's not a Timba sample obviously, it's an old Hardcore sample). Used one of the presets of the AVOX Throat on the aux to make the vocal sit better in the mix so this is not some extreme usage, but there are some really weird and interesting presets as well! I can post more examples tomorrow if anyone is interested.
youtu.be/C2Z3rTcixAM

Aight, so show us some of yours now!
You have to systematically create confusion, it sets creativity free. Everything that is contradictory creates life.

willemb
Mild
Re: The last "weird" or unu vst effect you had lots of fun w

Post by willemb »

Hysteris (and its free)
http://www.glitchmachines.com/downloads/hysteresis/

I've been putting this on synths and resampling it for some weird vocal type resonances

Planar
subsekt
subsekt

Post by Planar »

I'm not very good at it (yet), but I spend a lot of time resampling using the resynthesis in Harmor. Taking a sound and running it through the same instance over and over until it sounds cool.

Lag
athlete

Post by Lag »

Thanks for the share! Gonna check both!
You have to systematically create confusion, it sets creativity free. Everything that is contradictory creates life.

Hades
Shit Eater

Post by Hades »

Planar wrote:I'm not very good at it (yet), but I spend a lot of time resampling using the resynthesis in Harmor. Taking a sound and running it through the same instance over and over until it sounds cool.
my omnisphere salespitch sounded more convincing than your poor line. :mrgreen:
I'd say : convince me, but I just checked and it's PC only, isn't it ? :|
Sin cambios no hay mariposa

Hades
Shit Eater

Post by Hades »

last thing I bought with the holidays at nicely reduced price was this

http://www.pspaudioware.com/plugins/mul ... s/psp_n2o/

semi-modular multi-fx.

barely had time to play around with it, but I like the diversity of the results it gives me,
and it's pretty easy to work with.

it reminds me a bit of my Fireworx.
one of my HW FX units I don't use very often but can't let go of either.

Planar
subsekt
subsekt

Post by Planar »

Hades wrote:
Planar wrote:I'm not very good at it (yet), but I spend a lot of time resampling using the resynthesis in Harmor. Taking a sound and running it through the same instance over and over until it sounds cool.
my omnisphere salespitch sounded more convincing than your poor line. :mrgreen:
I'd say : convince me, but I just checked and it's PC only, isn't it ? :|
I think the image-line stuff is in beta for mac. As for the sales pitch, I'll post an example tonight, but basically having a sample that you can apply additive synthesis processes on opens up some interesting possibilities. I use it for bass, but in a more techno context it would probably be great for fucked up vocals or even messing up percussion.

Planar
subsekt
subsekt

Post by Planar »

Here you go, Hades, a very quick and dirty example of what I'm trying to crack with Harmor:-

private link

The first section is the patch as it came out of Serum, just literally a couple of detuned waves with some crappy filter modulation. The drums are for context.The second half is the same patch resampled 3 times into the same Harmor instance using some of the basic processing it offers.

'm shit at it, but hopefully it illustrates what you can achieve with talent and time. It's a ridiculously complex beast and I don't understand it enough to do some of the insane shit you hear from it by other people. Sadly, it's manual is wank, which doesn't help.

Resin
Pig

Post by Resin »

I have lots of fun with Twisted Tools S-Layer (Reaktor Instrument) recently… really cool concept and you get lots of cool sounds out of it. Makes me wanna get an i-pad so badly though.

serial
rescued

Post by serial »

Lag wrote: there are some really weird and interesting presets as well! I can post more examples tomorrow if anyone is interested.
haha Timbaland, god damn I was wondering how you got those vocals but havent had idea it was so crazy ^^ tell us more plz!

Hades
Shit Eater

Post by Hades »

Planar wrote:Here you go, Hades, a very quick and dirty example of what I'm trying to crack with Harmor:-

private link

The first section is the patch as it came out of Serum, just literally a couple of detuned waves with some crappy filter modulation. The drums are for context.The second half is the same patch resampled 3 times into the same Harmor instance using some of the basic processing it offers.

'm shit at it, but hopefully it illustrates what you can achieve with talent and time. It's a ridiculously complex beast and I don't understand it enough to do some of the insane shit you hear from it by other people. Sadly, it's manual is wank, which doesn't help.
thx for the example. feel free to waste more precious time posting more examples. :mrgreen:
seriously though, appreciate the effort. ;)
I don't even have time to make little examples like that of my plugin.
I'm only on headphones on the work computer (so souncard sucks), but the example just sounds like the lower bass part is still in there but as if the rest is run trhough a formant filter.
Additive synthesis typically works with formant filters (makes total sense since you have so many harmonics to deal with)
My K5000r has a formant filter that has the hardest screaming, well, more squelching, resonance you can imagine.
No analog synth I heard can ever touch it, it sounds like it can really kill your speakers if the volume would get turned up too loud.
Not sure if your plugin has a filter like that, but if it does : be careful for the resonance ! (no joke !!)
If you see pictures of formant filters, the resonance peaks are usually already way higher than your normal LP/BP/BR/HP filters.
I suppose it's also cause they have many peaks instead of just one single incase of the normal filters (or perhaps 2 in case of parallel filters), so you hear more than one resonance, but that just me guessing theoretically. It's been years since I properly dived into additive synthesis.

One of the coolest things I always liked with additive synthesis is the even/odd harmonics.
You know, take a sound, then turn the odd/even knob. I always loved how different that could make a patch sound.

If I find the time next week I'll post some sound samples of some of the patches on my K5000r, nothing sounds like it, absolutely nothing.
kick my butt if I forget.

btw : if that thing of yours gives you the possibility to shape the envelopes of all the different harmonics, than try some of that.
This way you can create some wonderful melodies when the harmonics come in and out of a sound. It can sound like an arpeggiator playing though it's only one single note. Beautiful stuff.

Hades
Shit Eater

Post by Hades »

wait a second, it's not untill now that I even noticed that nice track title !!

(god I am in need of sleep or I will really start to lose my mental sanity or whatever there was still left of it)

now you're definitely on for me spending half an hour recording my K5000r !
you got me motivated ! (but I bet I'll have forgotten all about it by tomorrow)

Planar
subsekt
subsekt

Post by Planar »

No formants, no filters at all other than on the original patch. What I'm doing could be achieved with some frequency splitting and processing with chorus, phasers and distortion I'd guess, but it would be a pain. My problem with it is that it sometimes sound great, and other times it sounds awful (this example I would class as mediocre), but I can't do it consistently well enough to build a track using a lot of the technique. Thankfully I can do it fairly fast with this plugin instead of a very complex alternative process.

From what I understand about Harmor the partials are left as partials even post filter, which I believe is pretty unusual for additive. I've only used some very basic features it can do a hell of a lot of clever things. I've never tried to synthesise anything in it from scratch, I just use it to fuck up samples with resynthesis, my sources are usually Massive and Serum. I prefer Razor for making sounds from scratch (because I understand it). I will have a look at the envelope features based on your recommendation however.

Hades
Shit Eater

Post by Hades »

making presets from scratch with additive can be hard as hell.
my K5000r can have more than 1500 parameters if you go fullblown 6 part additive.

the thing is, in my K5000r they group harmonics together, so editing goes a lot faster.
for example "even harmonics", or "odd harmonics" , or "dark harmonics".

It's been too long since I have opened Alchemy, but I presume they would use this way of working with every additive synth cause otherwise makineg presets from scratch woul be a gigantic work if you edit all those harmonics seperately.

no time for more info now. My youngest (3,5 years) decided she wanted "to help" daddy in the music room :

"daddy, why you have new fephone ?"
"cause my old one was broken 'n dirty from all the work daddy did in the house"
"daddy, me want mouse for work on puter"
(goes to fetch old mouse so she can pretend she works on my laptop with the not connected mouse)
"daddy, mouse no work" (grabs my mouse and starts pushing the buttons)
"daddy, why you .... ?" (question nr 6475)

you know how it is...
how old is yours by now ?
you still only have one ?
I even forgot if you have a boy or girl, but I thought you had a girl (could be totally wrong though).