One long ride effect ??

Electronic Music Production // Dark Arts
Sustain
fancy woman
One long ride effect ??

Post by Sustain »

I often listen in some tracks that ride going on top or in the background that sounds like one long ride (for ride I mean something like a 909 ride) so without interruptions! :o Or maybe there are, but you can't hear them like if you would put them in 16.
How does it work?
:?: you know what I mean?

penumbra
Poo Fingers
Re: One long ride effect ??

Post by penumbra »

what??... :?:

oh wait... I think I might see what you mean.

are there usually hi-hats and other things with shorter-harder abrupt attacks playing too?... and then the 909 Ride's playing (with its attack most likely completely rounded-off, sustain / release to "infinite", plus a long decaying verb), playing with all the rest?..

probably one of the many mixing "illusions" is how I think of it.
because a track with a kick on every quarter is completely different than verb bass... the former is creative... latter is not.

Mslwte
subsekt
subsekt

Post by Mslwte »

Sustain wrote:I often listen in some tracks that ride going on top or in the background that sounds like one long ride (for ride I mean something like a 909 ride) so without interruptions! :o Or maybe there are, but you can't hear them like if you would put them in 16.
How does it work?
Have you got an example you can post?
https://soundcloud.com/mslwte
https://noizefacilityrecords.bandcamp.com
https://www.instagram.com/subsekt909
https://www.facebook.com/subsekt909/
Lost to the Void wrote:Fuck off, get some tequila down ya neck and make some noise you cunt....

Alume
Confetti

Post by Alume »

Somehow like this first track? is that what you mean?

Lost to the Void
subsekt
subsekt

Post by Lost to the Void »

There are a number of ways of doing this depending on the final desired outcome.
A good amount of reverb on the rides will cover the attack phase maybe a touch of side chain comp to the kick, and the ride hitting 8th notes.

You can pull back the attack phase of the ride itself, providing you are usng a sample, softening it by removing the transients (or use a transient shaper)

You can run the rides on 16ths and again, add reverb to smear them.

Sometimes it's nice to just resample the tail of a ride and use that with some verb.
Mastering Engineer @ Black Monolith Studio
New Shit
Techno is dead. Long live Techno.

Sustain
fancy woman

Post by Sustain »

yess with proper reverb and resampling the tails I get very close to that effect :-)

Audiokat
Face Hugger

Post by Audiokat »

I know what you mean too. I have heard this before, sometimes more obvious than others. At times it really does sound like the sound is either looped or at least constant. I came across a free sample pack of ( I think it was an old MC 505 collection ) and in there were rides that were actually looped. I've tried that out specifically using the sounds that were looped and it didn't really have an effect I liked. Without some sort of movement and tweaking, to me it felt too static and blatant and prefer the smearing way or is using samples, having a softer attack.

You can get some nice synthetic rides with synths and can have a lot of control that way too if you are not after realistic rides.

AxeD
durchfall

Post by AxeD »

Yeah resampling right in the middle of the hit seems like the obvious way.

Alert
brown envelope

Post by Alert »

Sustain wrote:I often listen in some tracks that ride going on top or in the background that sounds like one long ride (for ride I mean something like a 909 ride) so without interruptions! :o Or maybe there are, but you can't hear them like if you would put them in 16.
How does it work?
Like the schranz techno continuous ride cymbal sound?

I've done it using Logic's EXS synth/drum machine, using an 808 kit (any DAW/drum machine will work)

- MIDI note on each 1/16th (using the 808 crash as the sample/sound)
- turn up the Attack until it's about halfway
- mess around with the Sustain until it has a nice carryover
- turn up the Release a bit (you'll want to experiment until it sounds right)

It will make the notes "ride" over themselves (overlapping/dovetailing)

:)