the film topic

General Chat // Music Discussion
Hades
Shit Eater
Re: the film topic

Post by Hades »

Barfunkel wrote:Speaking of films, I plan on watching 31 Jackie Chan films in January. Last time I saw any was like 15-20 years ago.

Sin cambios no hay mariposa

Lost to the Void
subsekt
subsekt

Post by Lost to the Void »

Saw 2001 at the cinema on a huge screen last weekend.
Kubrick really changed things with that film.
Having the ligeti soundtrack blasted at me was wonderful.

Just saw the sci fi film
The Congress.

Amazing work, unique, psychedelic, sad, beautiful. Thoroughly recommended.
Mastering Engineer @ Black Monolith Studio
New Shit
Techno is dead. Long live Techno.

Hades
Shit Eater

Post by Hades »

What's it called ?

Hesher

Who was responsible for making this crap ? And should I know him/her ?

Spencer susser. I had never heard of the dude.

It's not too old, is it (cause I really hate old shit) ?

2010, even Pedro was already born.

Anybody in it I know (or I should really get to know) ?

Joseph Gordon-Levitt, Natalie Portman, and Piper Laurie.
Piper who ?
For those of you who actively lived through the early 90's, Piper Laurie played Catherine Martell/Mr Tojamura in the infamous Twin Peaks series.

But even with all these 3 routiné's, it's the main character, played by the young Devin Brochu, who should take the most credit for some damn fine natural acting.

What's it about really ?

Young boy (10 or 11 years old ?) loses his mother in a car accident. His father falls into a deep depression and turns into a couch potato while they live with his grandmother.
Somehow Hesher, a homeless, über-rock-'n-roll dude comes into the kids life and ends up staying with them, somehow helping him when he's being bullied by an older kid,
but in the mean time just getting him into more and more trouble.

But to be honest, the film is just about people dealing with mourning and loss.
Anyone who's lost someone very close to him/her can recognize some of the truely absurd things we try to do to "get over it" and "move on", though nothing we do seems to make any sense or makes us feel better.

Does it have any funny shit in it that I can imitate in the pub to impress my dumb friends with ?

I laughed throughout pretty much the whole film.
But if I had to pick just one scene...
there's the scene of the grandmother's funeral, where Husher suddenly turns up, stoned and drunk, and gives a final speech about how he once lost his left nut, but how that only made him realise how precious his right nut really was.
One has to see the whole film to properly understand the rather hilarious situation though.

Why should I waste my precious time watching this crap ?

You shouldn't.
This isn't some fantastic film, but on the other hand it strongly reminded me of "Love Liza" where Philip Seymour Hoffman played a husband who has to deal with the suicide of his wife and totally loses control (he starts sniffing gasoline).
Both of these films will never have a big crowd of people who have seen it, nonetheless both are very well done.
Joseph Gordon-Levitt plays a hilarious character in this film, and Natalie Portman once again proved to me that no matter how ugly, white trash or suburbanly boring the character is that she plays, she's definitely my favourite petite brunette by far ! :D
Give me Natalie Portman any time !! :P

Hades
Shit Eater

Post by Hades »

oh yeah, little joke from the film :

what's green, slimey and smells like bacon ???

Kermit the Frog's finger ! :lol:

Hades
Shit Eater

Post by Hades »

What's it called ?

J'ai Tué Ma Mère

Xavier Dolan.
To be honest. I had come across this name multiple times,
and every time I thought "yeah right, "supposed-to-be" next bright star on the indie film screen.
How nice that he's gay, now we can even be very politically correct !! :P

This was untill I finally watched his debut this soir...
Man, what a fucking talent this guy is !!!!
It has nothing to do with the fact that he's gay or not, yet I'm buying a copy of this and sending it out to one of my best friends who's gay,
and I'd love to force my mom to watch this film together with me.
It's about son versus mom during teenage years.

Who cares, really ?

What's it about really ?

Teenage son rebelling against his mom, who, in all honesty isn't really that bad, sure her taste is in urgent need for an upgrade, but other than that, she does everything she can to make the best out of her single-parent situation. Yet, her rebellious, "I'm gay, I'm a genious and I'm fucking misunderstood !!!" son takes every opportunity to yell at her for everything he can, so finally she decides to put him in a bording school.

Does it have any funny shit in it that I can imitate in the pub to impress my dumb friends with ?

Best scene must be when the director of the bording school calls up the mother at work to inform her that her son has run away.
He gently tries to give her some "good advice" as to the fact that her son might at times need a "male" figure" in the household to teach him some discipline.
The monologue she yells at him after his "kind advice" is just brilliant and a pure "claim of victory" to anyone of the female sex or anyone who has held up a household on his/her own.
It was just hilarious !! :lol: :lol:

Well, decide for yourself.
Yesterday I've spent all day tramping on about half a million apples, just cause my best friend asked me a few days ago if I didn't wanna help him taking out, I quote, "a few trees for firewood".
It turned out he and his friend agreed to cut down 1800 apple trees from a local farmer who couldn't sell his harvest because of the Russian boycot.
The result was that I was walking next to a huge tractor throwing in pieces of firewood all day long, in the worst weather conditions of the whole year, massive wind, heavy rain,
and I've been beating a semi-flue all week.
Yet, in the evening I sat down and watched "Paradise : Glaube" and never hit the fast forward button once, and truely enjoyed the whole 115 minutes of it.
I still think "Import/export" is Ulrich Seidl's best film, but I've been following this guy since "Hundestage", and when you look up "Paradies: glaube", and you see only 5 (!!!!) user-reviews at imdb (even though it's not a film that's hard to come by like many others that I watch), then you know you're a total die-hard film-nerd... :oops:

So yeah, it's all a personal choice.
But let me tell you this (for those who do like to watch quite a few films) :
Xavier Dolan is a MASSIVE natural talent !!!
I have only watched one film of his, and that was his debut.
Pretty much everything was perfect : the shots, the soundtrack, the storytelling, the mise-en-scène,...
I have rarely come across such a natural talent in all the years that I've watched thousands and thousands of films.

But if you're expecting some high action "shock-as-much-you-can" (gay) film, you should look elsewhere. It barely even matters in the film that he's gay. It's just a minor detail really.
This guy is just apologizing to his mother for what a massive cunt he must have been to her in all his teenage years, and whether or not you're gay or straight doesn't matter a single fuck, if you've had troublesome teenage years, you'll surely recognize far too many parts in this film.

And also, any film that starts of with a quote from Guy de Maupassant deserves to be watched.
There are just not enough readers around, and surely not enough readers who read Guy de Maupassant... :)

Hades
Shit Eater

Post by Hades »

What's it called ?

True Detective (1st season, 2nd isn't out yet I think)

Nic Pizzolatto wrote it. Forget the name of the director.
1st season was completely shot on film though, which must have been pretty tough in the Louisiana weather conditions.

Matthew McConaughey and Woody Harrelson.
There are quite a few B-actors in it that seasoned TV or film-watchers might recognize, but it's really these 2 that make the whole series.
I quite liked Michelle Monaghan as well, who plays Harrelsons wife.

What's it about really ?

Women and children disappearing and getting ritually murdered.
The series start in 2012, when the 2 former detectives/partners are seperately interviewed by 2 other detectives/partners about a serial killer case they wrapped up back in 1997.
The story continually jumps back and forward in time, 1995, 2000, 2002, 2012,... while you gradually learn that they hadn't wrapped up the case like they thought they had.
Slowly but certainly it becomes clear that the 2012 detectives consider McConaughey a suspect of the killings that still go on in 2012.

Both main characters also have their own world of personal problems.
Both know they have to be bad men in order to keep the other bad men from the good people's doorstep (to say it with their own words).

Harrelson seems to be your typical family guy semi-macho cop, who truely believes he's putting away evil to protect his family and the rest of the world. Meanwhile he's cheating on his wife on a regular basis in a strange effort to keep things in "balance" in his life. The more the series evolve, the less positive-minded he gets.

McConaughey on the other hand, is by far the most depressing character I have EVER seen in any film.
He's highly intellectual, and sees the world as one big wrotten sewer, a ghetto we can't get out of.
To take but one of the many MANY excellent quotes his character is spitting out at top speed :
"I think human consciousness, is a tragic misstep in evolution. We became too self-aware, nature created an aspect of nature separate from itself, we are creatures that should not exist by natural law. We are things that labor under the illusion of having a self; an accretion of sensory, experience and feeling, programmed with total assurance that we are each somebody, when in fact everybody is nobody. Maybe the honorable thing for our species to do is deny our programming, stop reproducing, walk hand in hand into extinction, one last midnight - brothers and sisters opting out of a raw deal."
I think Steve helped writing parts of the dialogue if you ask me ;)

It has thousands of great quotes I wish I could remember, but there's absolutely nothing truely funny about this series.
First of all, it plays in Louisiana, but you can forget about Trème right now. You never even get to see New Orleans.
Only the swamp country where the poor live and the ritual killings happen.
Second of all it's a dark dark trip down the human soul. The DVD-box says : "touch darkness and it touches you back", and though that might sound like a corny catch-phrase, in the case of this series it's totally true.
With Breaking Bad you slowly saw Walter White become an evil drug lord, but in this series it's already pitch black from the start, and there is very little light at the end of the tunnel.
Hell, I even disliked the very ending where they tried to end on a more "brighter" note, so to say.
I was expecting to have a bad end (as in : both get killed, killer walks), cause somehow that would have made more sense to the whole philosophy of Rust Cohle.
But in a way I was kind of relieved it didn't end that way, cause I'm quite sure a lot of people would need a family pack of prozac to survive watching a series like this.

Because it's on the same level as The Wire and Breaking Bad.
Hell yes it is !!!!
The soundtrack is perfect, the cinematography, the story, the dialogues (!!!), the acting,...
I think I even liked it better than Breaking Bad in some way.

It contained stuff I saw before in Hannibal (female corpses with antlers on their heads), Dexter, Trème (the voodoo mardi gras elements),... but it was all so much better put to use.
Also, to all of you who have read the deep web thread, the links Steve put in there about pedophile rings.
If you've bothered to read up on those pages, or watched some of the youtube documentaries, you will see how shockingly close all this is to brutal reality. :shock:
I would give examples but it would ruin the plot too much for those who haven't seen it yet.

True Detective is by far one of the best things you'll ever see series-wise.
And most definitely the darkest one ever made.
I highly doubt the 2nd season will be as good as the first, but my hopes are up nonetheless.

I also doubt McConaughey will ever play a better role in his whole career.
I've seen him in quite a few films where he's far passed that old poster-boy image he used to have, but the way he played Rust Cohle, pffff, now that's on a whole different level ! :shock:

Alume
Confetti

Post by Alume »

True Detective is fucking bad ass. Such a great ride it was.

Alume
Confetti

Post by Alume »

And I agree with every word Tom had said. Great discription.

tsurani
non reader

Post by tsurani »

The Shadow Line is well worth a look for anyone that enjoyed shows like True Detective and The Wire. It is a British crime series (7 episodes) staring Chiwetel Ejiofor but has lots of good actors giving great performances and a really good story.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1701920/?ref_=ttep_ep_tt

Alume
Confetti

Post by Alume »

Did any of you guys watch "Fargo" (the series) its deff worth a watch. I could go into detail, but yeah just watch the first episode and see if you like it. The Coen brothers have some influence as well.

Lost to the Void
subsekt
subsekt

Post by Lost to the Void »

Hades wrote:
"I think human consciousness, is a tragic misstep in evolution. We became too self-aware, nature created an aspect of nature separate from itself, we are creatures that should not exist by natural law. We are things that labor under the illusion of having a self; an accretion of sensory, experience and feeling, programmed with total assurance that we are each somebody, when in fact everybody is nobody. Maybe the honorable thing for our species to do is deny our programming, stop reproducing, walk hand in hand into extinction, one last midnight - brothers and sisters opting out of a raw deal."

It`s like reading my own thoughts!!!

I have to see this now.
Mastering Engineer @ Black Monolith Studio
New Shit
Techno is dead. Long live Techno.

Hades
Shit Eater

Post by Hades »

Lost to the Void wrote:
Hades wrote:

It`s like reading my own thoughts!!!

I have to see this now.
Trust me, you'll love Rusty Cohle and his quotes.
It's like that Leonard Cohen quote :
I don't consider myself a pessimist. I think of a pessimist as someone who is waiting for it to rain. And I feel soaked to the skin.
but then like soaked to the bone.

mainst09
Traits

Post by mainst09 »

Hades wrote:What's it called ?

True Detective (1st season, 2nd isn't out yet I think)

Nic Pizzolatto wrote it. Forget the name of the director.
1st season was completely shot on film though, which must have been pretty tough in the Louisiana weather conditions.

Matthew McConaughey and Woody Harrelson.
There are quite a few B-actors in it that seasoned TV or film-watchers might recognize, but it's really these 2 that make the whole series.
I quite liked Michelle Monaghan as well, who plays Harrelsons wife.

What's it about really ?

Women and children disappearing and getting ritually murdered.
The series start in 2012, when the 2 former detectives/partners are seperately interviewed by 2 other detectives/partners about a serial killer case they wrapped up back in 1997.
The story continually jumps back and forward in time, 1995, 2000, 2002, 2012,... while you gradually learn that they hadn't wrapped up the case like they thought they had.
Slowly but certainly it becomes clear that the 2012 detectives consider McConaughey a suspect of the killings that still go on in 2012.

Both main characters also have their own world of personal problems.
Both know they have to be bad men in order to keep the other bad men from the good people's doorstep (to say it with their own words).

Harrelson seems to be your typical family guy semi-macho cop, who truely believes he's putting away evil to protect his family and the rest of the world. Meanwhile he's cheating on his wife on a regular basis in a strange effort to keep things in "balance" in his life. The more the series evolve, the less positive-minded he gets.

McConaughey on the other hand, is by far the most depressing character I have EVER seen in any film.
He's highly intellectual, and sees the world as one big wrotten sewer, a ghetto we can't get out of.
To take but one of the many MANY excellent quotes his character is spitting out at top speed :

It has thousands of great quotes I wish I could remember, but there's absolutely nothing truely funny about this series.
First of all, it plays in Louisiana, but you can forget about Trème right now. You never even get to see New Orleans.
Only the swamp country where the poor live and the ritual killings happen.
Second of all it's a dark dark trip down the human soul. The DVD-box says : "touch darkness and it touches you back", and though that might sound like a corny catch-phrase, in the case of this series it's totally true.
With Breaking Bad you slowly saw Walter White become an evil drug lord, but in this series it's already pitch black from the start, and there is very little light at the end of the tunnel.
Hell, I even disliked the very ending where they tried to end on a more "brighter" note, so to say.
I was expecting to have a bad end (as in : both get killed, killer walks), cause somehow that would have made more sense to the whole philosophy of Rust Cohle.
But in a way I was kind of relieved it didn't end that way, cause I'm quite sure a lot of people would need a family pack of prozac to survive watching a series like this.

Because it's on the same level as The Wire and Breaking Bad.
Hell yes it is !!!!
The soundtrack is perfect, the cinematography, the story, the dialogues (!!!), the acting,...
I think I even liked it better than Breaking Bad in some way.

It contained stuff I saw before in Hannibal (female corpses with antlers on their heads), Dexter, Trème (the voodoo mardi gras elements),... but it was all so much better put to use.
Also, to all of you who have read the deep web thread, the links Steve put in there about pedophile rings.
If you've bothered to read up on those pages, or watched some of the youtube documentaries, you will see how shockingly close all this is to brutal reality. :shock:
I would give examples but it would ruin the plot too much for those who haven't seen it yet.

True Detective is by far one of the best things you'll ever see series-wise.
And most definitely the darkest one ever made.
I highly doubt the 2nd season will be as good as the first, but my hopes are up nonetheless.

I also doubt McConaughey will ever play a better role in his whole career.
I've seen him in quite a few films where he's far passed that old poster-boy image he used to have, but the way he played Rust Cohle, pffff, now that's on a whole different level ! :shock:

Yeah i loved True detective,you can't even compare it with Breaking Bad since BB is a shit series.

I agree with everything you said,when i started watching the show,like the 1st Episode,i knew that would gonna be an amazing show,i mean that shit scared me so much because it was so fucking truthful,because this kind of shit really happened,and they really achieved one thing i guess anyone never achieved,wich is to show the true USA. The USA of the poor,those who the only way to have a good life is through crime.

After The Wire and Sopranos,for me this is my favorite show ever(At least season 1,since every season will be with different characters and different stories).

I don't agree with you when you say you doubt season 2 will be any good,because the beautiful thing about season 1 is that the actors were not the ones you would expect to see. I per example like Taylor Kitsch(one of the chosen actors for season 2) his role on Friday Night Lights is amazing,for me the best character of that TV Show.

And i wait to see the roles of Vince Vaughn and Colin Farrel in the 2nd Season
Voices From Cindy's Cunt

Hades
Shit Eater

Post by Hades »

did you watch "Friday Night Lights" Pedro ?
I was wondering if it's worth spending my time watching it or not.
I've read some good stuff about it, but I'm not sure if it's good enough to invest all the hours.

Hades
Shit Eater

Post by Hades »

one of the good things about True Detective was also that they made it a point NOT to show any real horrific images.
You know, you don't get to see dead bodies (or at least not a lot), or shocking video footage, or disturbing photo's.
And yet I found myself around episode 6 (the one that ends with Cohl picking up one of the wooden constructions in the abandoned school) almost too scared/moved to continue watching.
I watched the whole series almost non-stop in about 1,5 days, and at that point I really had to take a break for a few hours, it was just too intense.

mainst09
Traits

Post by mainst09 »

Hades wrote:did you watch "Friday Night Lights" Pedro ?
I was wondering if it's worth spending my time watching it or not.
I've read some good stuff about it, but I'm not sure if it's good enough to invest all the hours.

Yes. At least for me. it's the typical high school football type of shit,but is really well made drama so is worth watching.

i really loved it to be honest,all the actors did their job. so thumbs up for it
Voices From Cindy's Cunt

PixelKind
who is it?

Post by PixelKind »

Just started watching True Detective last night. WOW! The opening sequence alone is worth watching it i think. Amazing characters and yes , as Hades pointed out, there are no shocking images. Not even much nudity (considering its an HBO series). But those characters drive it to amazing levels. It is really bleak and nihilistic so far. But also smart and i even laughed a few times. Really great show. Gonna try to finish it tonight!

Hades
Shit Eater

Post by Hades »

it's an "uppercut" of a series.
it leaves you almost completely exhausted after a while of watching it

PixelKind
who is it?

Post by PixelKind »

just finished it. really excellent! but i have to say the first half was better. more of a mind-fuck cuz u dont know whats going on. the 2nd half is more of a standard crime thing. but the characters remain amazing. what fascinated me was that there were really no shocking graphical elements in it. not like Hannibal (which i liked a lot too but it was too graphical sometimes). All the dark atmosphere came from the characters. very powerful!
Now Fargo will be next!

Hades
Shit Eater

Post by Hades »

PixelKind wrote:just finished it. really excellent! but i have to say the first half was better. more of a mind-fuck cuz u dont know whats going on. the 2nd half is more of a standard crime thing. but the characters remain amazing. what fascinated me was that there were really no shocking graphical elements in it. not like Hannibal (which i liked a lot too but it was too graphical sometimes). All the dark atmosphere came from the characters. very powerful!
Now Fargo will be next!
yeah I liked Hannibal, but it was far too much "made to shock" kind of.
And with every episode featuring a "mental disorder of the week" thing.

you are right about the last part being a bit less than the first.
I found the turning point around the end of episode 5 or 6, where Rust picks up the wooden thing in the abandoned school. somehow it became more of a whodunit from there on.
But it's still far far above most other series I've ever seen.
One big dark mindfuck.