Which artist consistently impresses you?

General Chat // Music Discussion
wowsignal
fancy woman
Re: Which artist consistently impresses you?

Post by wowsignal »

Lee Norris -a good while ago youtu.be/sszSZj-0Rz8

Last year - youtu.be/fIJuAEo2B4U - great vocal sample at end

Stars Of The Lid (this ones w. Arvo Part)youtu.be/02h6vpPK3dQ

Claro Intelecto
youtu.be/28uzRi15EzA -
youtu.be/YyIknM8AO58

Kassem Mosse

Hepta
I Love YOU!!!

Post by Hepta »

Desiderii Marginis

His releases grabs me every time.

jordanneke
subsekt
subsekt

Post by jordanneke »

I've been thinking about this for a while.

2 artists that consistently amaze me - not necessarily for the high-brow nature of their music, but by their ability to produce tracks that are simple, but devastating. They both hark back to hardcore/rave in separate ways.

Shed aka wax aka head high.

and Tessela

Hedges
Chernobyl

Post by Hedges »

Blawan. Objekt has been tearing up the rulebook a lot lately. Clouds. [Phase]. Sunil sharpe. Trevino. South London ordnance. Tim hecker (the ravedeath 1972 is a great example of beardstrokery at its most droney). Samuel kerridge. Brian eno.

Alright that's me for now.

Hades
Shit Eater

Post by Hades »

slowly working my way through this thread

Mono-xID wrote:CUNNINLYNGUISTS

the best rap crew with the deepest, most melancholic beats i've ever heard. The beatmaker (KNO) is a fucking genius as he samples rock and folk records instead of funk and soul. I own every album plus every mixtape (which are like 10 albums) and they don't have ANY bad or uninteresting song. The lyrics are concious, sometimes funny and far far away from all that money,bling and bitches crap which doesn't deserve the name hip-hop.

These dudes deserve waaaaaay more recognition. I fuckin' love 'em....

youtu.be/jy0Y3s1gt1Y
you know I love these guys mono (thx to you for mentioning them a few years ago),
but that first track's melody, isn't from rock or folk, to my ears the guitar melody sounds like it's taken almost straight from Concierto de Aranjuez by Joaquin Rodrigo.
Once made into a famous jazz version by Miles Davis on "Sketches of Spain".

youtu.be/cZWO5ROq_aA

youtu.be/CsWidlDldVk

perhaps pitched up 1 or 2 notes, and definitely sped up, but yeah.

melancholy comes rather soon into a hip-hop track if you sample a classic piece someone wrote about losing his 1st born child.

anyway, you are right though, KNO makes great beats, and he reworked the guitar part very nicely too.
(and if anyone mentioned this before in this thread, apologies, I haven't gone through it all yet :oops: )

on a completely less melancholic sidenote :
isn't it funny how a group of guys can call themselves cunninlynguists, and there would never be anyone complaining,
but if a group of women would call themselves blowjobbaz or something, there would be a tsunami of upset women talking about how sexistic that group name is...

dear women : why is it that almost any man I know is prepared to go down on a woman almost any time and consider it as normal as drinking a beer, while men must consider them lucky if their woman goes down on them once in a while and then they can only hope these women won't afterwards pretend as if they just did those men the best favour and self-sacrifice ever ???
:shock: :? :lol:

(and trust me if I say I am not talking about personal frustration but just mentioning a conclusion that popped up in my mind from talks with male friends of mine :lol: )

where's the equalness in all that ?*

*not that I ever expected any equalness in relationships between men and women, I'm not that retarded !! :lol:
Sin cambios no hay mariposa

SFBM
&roid

Post by SFBM »

Miles Davis into a rant about oral sex, that's impressive hahahaha :p

Hades
Shit Eater

Post by Hades »

Mono-xID wrote:CUNNINLYNGUISTS

These dudes deserve waaaaaay more recognition. I fuckin' love 'em....

youtu.be/T2EDljd3tsE
fucking love this one.
didn't even know they had a new album in 2014 (again, thx for bringing them up again mono)
superb beats and perfect lyrics.
but maybe you had to have been around in '95, digging hip-hop (back when that still meant something else than mind-numbing bling-bling) to properly appreciate the truth of these lyrics. :) ;)

Hades
Shit Eater

Post by Hades »

SFBM wrote:Miles Davis into a rant about oral sex, that's impressive hahahaha :p

trust me, it's not even a rant, it's just something I've noticed in many many talks between gentlemen,
and even a few talks between me and some women (when they've had a few drinks so they can be honest enough to admit it)

kind of like you'd get a perfect blowjob one night and the next morning, out of the blue, she'll start talking to you about how you're supposed to
1. waste your whole morning chosing drapes (fucking drapes !!)
2. waste your whole afternoon trying to hang up them drapes (them fucking drapes !!)
3. cook dinner for 4 of her female friends and join their company long enough in the evening for her (and her female friends) not to be offended.
:lol:

(thank god I was never in a similar situation though :D )

as if any guy would actually think "damn, better eat out her pussy damn well tonight cause I wanna order myself a new synth tomorrow.
we just wouldn't think that way, we'd just do it for damn nothing.
that's how good we are ! :lol:

and it's not Miles I tried to point people to btw, you cunt, it's Joaquin Rodrigo,
cause cunninlynguists definitely use a Spanish guitar and not a trompet in their track.
but anyway... :D

PixelKind
who is it?

Post by PixelKind »

Hades wrote: kind of like you'd get a perfect blowjob one night and the next morning, out of the blue, she'll start talking to you about how you're supposed to
1. waste your whole morning chosing drapes (fucking drapes !!)
2. waste your whole afternoon trying to hang up them drapes (them fucking drapes !!)
3. cook dinner for 4 of her female friends and join their company long enough in the evening for her (and her female friends) not to be offended.
:lol:

(thank god I was never in a similar situation though :D )

as if any guy would actually think "damn, better eat out her pussy damn well tonight cause I wanna order myself a new synth tomorrow.
we just wouldn't think that way, we'd just do it for damn nothing.
that's how good we are ! :lol:
lol. so true!

Mono-xID
Uumfääng

Post by Mono-xID »

@ Hades: don't be such a picky cunt. Yeah, KNO uses a fuckin spanish guitar sample. Yeah, it's not folk or rock. All i wanted to say is that he's not your obvious "loop an old soul song for 3 seconds" type of hip-hop producer.

btw: Wu-Tang's RZA was great back then. He had the ability to spot the 3 seconds worth looping in some old soul shit. His samples sounded very sinister and dark but they were actually from funky soul tracks.
http://soundcloud.com/monoxid

Behringer = ARTS label of synths

nocernoc
unsure

Post by nocernoc »

:roll:

Steve_Leroy
Interact. Don't Spam.

Post by Steve_Leroy »

Right now im really feeling Ten Walls

SigEnt
will fuck for food

Post by SigEnt »

Loscil

(Not very Techno I know, still love his stuff tho')

Monreal
You only live once

Post by Monreal »

Oddisee

Esp. this is such a beauty

youtu.be/Z-HFIH-5gU0

Him and Iggy :D

youtu.be/RgopVOg2ifk

"These rhymes were written in economy class seats, these beats were produced on long bus trips & these songs were recorded in airbnb apartments."

Some deep shit.

Hades
Shit Eater

Post by Hades »

Mono-xID wrote:@ Hades: don't be such a picky cunt. Yeah, KNO uses a fuckin spanish guitar sample. Yeah, it's not folk or rock. All i wanted to say is that he's not your obvious "loop an old soul song for 3 seconds" type of hip-hop producer.

btw: Wu-Tang's RZA was great back then. He had the ability to spot the 3 seconds worth looping in some old soul shit. His samples sounded very sinister and dark but they were actually from funky soul tracks.
I'm not trying to be a picky cunt.
I'm only mentioning Concierto de Aranjuez by Rodrigo cause I believe it's a beautiful piece and (to most) relatively unknown,
this has nothing to do with if the track that sampled it isn't good or not, but sometimes it's important to know the original,
especially if the original is that good.
Concierto de Aranjuez is a bit like Samuel Barber's Adagio for Strings, except everyone knows Barber's Adagio for Strings.
Rodrigo was probably the first composer to compose a piece that put a solo Spanish guitar before a full orchestra and get away with it.
It's a LOT easier to make piano-concerto's, cause a piano can sound very big and has a wide range frequency-wise with more than 7 octaves.
But to write a piece that makes a Spanish guitar stand up in front of a whole orchestra and not have it get drowned out completely, that's quite an achievement.
And persnally I think Concierto de Aranjuez is one of the most emotional pieces of classical music I know.

Anyways, like you Mono, I'm talking about music that I like, no matter if it's not techno at all and we're on a techno forum,
cause we strongly believe in that music, and maybe we can convince 1 or 2 people of how great this music is.
If people don't wanna read about it, all they gotta do is scroll down,
or I'll just start mambling away about cunnilingus again, no prob. :)

Hades
Shit Eater

Post by Hades »

but anyways, to go back to the original topic :

Max Richter.
One of the best classical modern day composers if you ask me.

youtu.be/rVN1B-tUpgs

or in piano version :

youtu.be/6DYCGurRUPo

one of my favourite pieces to play on piano :

youtu.be/BJJia598Aig

He seems to be writing a lot of film music as well nowadays.

youtu.be/gcEW9jXvsNw

Of course discog prices aren't a reference, but at least I can tell more people are finding out about him compared to a few years back.
I bought 2 sealed copies of "The Blue Notebooks" 4 years ago, and now they're at approx. 150€ :shock:
If I wasn't so sentimentally attached to the album, I'd sell my extra copy for a more honest price and use the cash for better purposes.

The prices of his other albums have risen as well it seems...
Too bad for all the honest music lovers if they want his stuff on vinyl.
Discog sharks, they're just terrible...

Hades
Shit Eater

Post by Hades »

one of the nicest ambient producers I know.
I got all his albums on CD and vinyl whenever I could still get hold of them.

He's kind of pissing me off with his latest releases though. Making everything limited editions so attracting all the discogs sharks...

His last 2 albums he send out an email to ask people to buy (and pay) in advance before he had the vinyl pressed (which is fine by me),
he even had their names pressed on the inside of the cover (which was nice, I'll admit).

But now he's gonna release some EP somewhere in january and you're supposed to "follow" him on FB to see when.
I do NOT wanna be forced to check my emails and fucking FB a whole goddamn month just to be able to buy the piece of vinyl in time before it gets sold out.
That kind of shit is pissing me off... :evil:

anyway, this one has the exact same chords as Prince's "Little Red Corvette" btw

youtu.be/JdNO1Wi6bQQ

and I've sent away at least 2 copies for free from this album (I certainly hope these people don't sell 'em for the cash some day) :

youtu.be/wGCy81Nx7SQ

and one of these to a certain Portugese cunt...

youtu.be/Mok-WtkGUmA

Hades
Shit Eater

Post by Hades »

Rafael Anton Irissari

this one's for Voidloss...
I personally think this is one of the most perfect symbioses I have ever heard between acoustic and electronical sounds.
He's taken the original piece from Arvo Pärt (which was already as close to perfection as it can be), and still took it to another level.
the little cracks, the slowly drifting in pad sound underneath the fragile piano part.
Fucking perfect...

youtu.be/T75_SuG4HVg

His own works are quite nice as well, but my time is running out...

Lost to the Void
subsekt
subsekt

Post by Lost to the Void »

Hades wrote:Rafael Anton Irissari

I personally think this is one of the most perfect symbioses I have ever heard between acoustic and electronical sounds.
He's taken the original piece from Arvo Pärt (which was already as close to perfection as it can be), and still took it to another level.
the little cracks, the slowly drifting in pad sound underneath the fragile piano part.
Fucking perfect...

youtu.be/T75_SuG4HVg

I hate it, he has taken something pure and minimal, and then removed the purity and the minimal nature.
Totally unnecessary in my opinion. The crackles are like a minimal cliche these days too.

Not that I can talk, I committed a musical atrocity against Arvo myself, by adding cantus memoriam benjamin britten by Arvo to my live PA and throwing a hard techno beat underneath it.
The shame.....
Mastering Engineer @ Black Monolith Studio
New Shit
Techno is dead. Long live Techno.

Hades
Shit Eater

Post by Hades »

Lost to the Void wrote:
Hades wrote:Rafael Anton Irissari

Fucking perfect...

youtu.be/T75_SuG4HVg

I hate it, he has taken something pure and minimal, and then removed the purity and the minimal nature.
Totally unnecessary in my opinion. The crackles are like a minimal cliche these days too.

Not that I can talk, I committed a musical atrocity against Arvo myself, by adding cantus memoriam benjamin britten by Arvo to my live PA and throwing a hard techno beat underneath it.
The shame.....
well I still love it,
he's barely "removed" the minimal nature cause he barely added a lot if you ask me.
yes crackles can be cliché as fuck, but I don't think they are in the context of this track.

and you are forgiven (not that you'd care about something as trivial as forgiveness) :lol:
you did put a mean fucking distorted kick underneath this track. (the kind of distorted kicks mono likes so much) ? :idea:

youtu.be/TRZLxxR23K4

:D