iPad for music production - anyone?

Electronic Music Production // Dark Arts
SigEnt
will fuck for food
Re: iPad for music production - anyone?

Post by SigEnt »

I recently replaced my ageing blackberry playbook with an Ipad Air 2 so decided to get some music toys during the black Friday/cyber Monday sales.

Korg Gadget is on offer at the moment - excellent app with Ableton export £20

Propellerheads Thor is down to 2.99 - Downloading now

Moog Animoog is down to 2.99 - Downloading next.

Check this post http://discchord.com/blog/2014/12/1/app ... onday.html for a massive list of all the music app offers, be quick some of them end tonight

Planar
subsekt
subsekt

Post by Planar »

Definitely get Impaktor, even at full price it's worth it.

aliasweber
Unartful

Post by aliasweber »

SigEnt wrote:I recently replaced my ageing blackberry playbook with an Ipad Air 2 so decided to get some music toys during the black Friday/cyber Monday sales.

Korg Gadget is on offer at the moment - excellent app with Ableton export £20

Propellerheads Thor is down to 2.99 - Downloading now

Moog Animoog is down to 2.99 - Downloading next.

Check this post http://discchord.com/blog/2014/12/1/app ... onday.html for a massive list of all the music app offers, be quick some of them end tonight
didn't know there was a sale on these apps, just bought Thor. thanks for the tip!
-aw

Planar
subsekt
subsekt

Post by Planar »

A new drum synth just came out and it's very nice indeed from the 10 minutes I've spent with it. A little article about it here:

http://createdigitalmusic.com/2014/12/r ... sic.com%29

Alume
Confetti

Post by Alume »

Got to steal my parents Ipad one day.

nomadjames
mummy!!

Post by nomadjames »

I have TouchOSC and TouchAble running on mine so far...TouchAble is pretty damn slick. There's a lot of options to figure out in it though. It has been pretty useful so far to see the volume meters.
www.soundcloud.com/nomadjames

"The Edge... there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over." - Hunter S. Thompson

www.nomadjames.com

Pittsburgh Ableton
www.facebook.com/groups/558333351022659

nomadjames
mummy!!

Post by nomadjames »

I'm trying to read through the whole rest of this thread but I don't have much extra time while I'm working. I bought an Ipad pretty much because i wanted to control Effects 3-4 with it. I have yet to get TouchOSC up and running to do that. TouchOSC seems pretty finicky for me.

"The Edge... there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over." - Hunter S. Thompson

www.nomadjames.com

Pittsburgh Ableton

SigEnt
will fuck for food

Post by SigEnt »

Lemur is on offer at the mo' for £13.99.

https://itunes.apple.com/gb/app/lemur/id481290621?mt=8

I'm very tempted. I'm kidding myself if I think I'll ever get time to program my own stuff but apparently there is oodles of templates from anything from hardware synthesis to Ableton and reaktor that can be downloaded.

Any Lemur IPAD users here?

msl
║▌║█║▌│║▌║▌█

Post by msl »

Oh shit, that is tempting... I'm in the same boat I'll never find time for it...
SigEnt wrote:Lemur is on offer at the mo' for £13.99.

https://itunes.apple.com/gb/app/lemur/id481290621?mt=8

I'm very tempted. I'm kidding myself if I think I'll ever get time to program my own stuff but apparently there is oodles of templates from anything from hardware synthesis to Ableton and reaktor that can be downloaded.

Any Lemur IPAD users here?
www.bernadettetrax.bandcamp.com
www.soundcloud.com/michaellovatt

“Once men turned their thinking over to machines in the hope that this would set them free. But that only permitted other men with machines to enslave them.” Dune

Planar
subsekt
subsekt

Post by Planar »

Lemur is why I ended up buying Push, I used the emulation for a few days and had to have one. I don't really use Lemur much at the moment, but that's mainly because of the Push. There are some nice templates for Microtonic and a few other VST's that I may end up using in future a bit more. I think there is a dedicated package of templates for all Ableton devices as well that looks good (called "Pull", maybe?).

It works well, but I kinda wish it could be connected via USB instead of across wifi. If you just want to control Ableton exclusively, maybe look at Touchable.

nomadjames
mummy!!

Post by nomadjames »

I have lemur on mine too. Haven't gotten around to trying it yet.

www.nomadjames.com

Pittsburgh Ableton

tdmusic
Informer

Post by tdmusic »

I've been playing around with Elastic Drums by O-G-SUS
https://appsto.re/gb/ZAnUW.i

Really fun drum synth for iPhone, which can make some really unusual sounds (you'll struggle to get x0x sounding percussion out of it but who says that is a bad thing?). The interface is great, I like being able to assign any parameter to velocity and quickly tweak it in the step sequencer, and like a lot of these kind of things, the limitations it imposes are part of the fun.

I'm still struggling getting used to Electribe style sequencers which store the sounds with the pattern, so not much good at sequencing anything on this, but fun for making loops definitely!

tdmusic
Informer

Post by tdmusic »

Anyone using TouchAble? Picked it up while it was on sale after reading lots of rave reviews and hoping to have a play with it today - dug my old iPad 1 out, apparently it still works well on there which is commendable if true and leaves my 3 for other fun stuff (enjoying running synths through pedals on JamUp Pro). I already have Push but for me the more hands on control the better!

msl
║▌║█║▌│║▌║▌█

Post by msl »

Right well I gotta say Patterning is the best drum machine / sequencer app ever!

It sounds really great out the box, or you can load your own samples, but its the interface that is just totally fucking awesome for experimenting, and really quickly, really intuitively.

Great features, poly rhythms etc are super easy do. Amazing modulation options, per note!!! Only negatives is its a bit sluggish on my now ageing iPad 2 and no audio export (yet).

Its only 10 bucks, highly recommended...

youtu.be/HCEnTCOiSDY
www.bernadettetrax.bandcamp.com
www.soundcloud.com/michaellovatt

“Once men turned their thinking over to machines in the hope that this would set them free. But that only permitted other men with machines to enslave them.” Dune

borg
Lifer

Post by borg »

some I didn't see mentioned in this thread so far:

TF7, great free fm synth (with in app patch pack purchase)
Molten, a drum machine I had some fun with
but through subsekt I recently learned about DM1, which seems marvelous the afternoon I spent with it.

for the rest: Samplr, Nave, Anymoog, Amplitube. All very underused, as combining these great sounding tools grinds my old iPad to a halt quite soon.
TouchAble is what I mainly use the iPad for, and the odd sound that gets it's way to the computer.

On a side note: From work I recently got a Nexus Android phone, and the only app I have on that one is Caustic3 which sounded very nice. Just saw they have an iOS version as well.
Andy
the lunatics are in the hall...

Den Bosch
brown envelope

Post by Den Bosch »

Bringing this thread back from the afterlife so hopefully we can continue this discussion on using the iPad as a controller, synth, sampler, or to cut up your coke on.

I've been enjoying Ruismaker Noir for a while now, it's a synth that I use mainly for bass and kick grooves with a separate randomize function for the sequencer and the synth section which I like a lot. Patterning is a great drum sampler with a pretty deep sequencer section and a built in browser for free community sample packs that you can add to your project within the blink of an eye. I'll probably check out some granular stuff like Spacecraft and Tardigrain in the future. Currently trying out Cubasis as my DAW/AU host and Audulus 3 looks like a very interesting synth for creating gigantic chaotic self modulating random crazy sketches-of-spain-type shit.

Has anyone here downloaded his/her personal sample library onto the iPad? How do you organize stuff? I would ideally want a system with folders which I can browse through on my apps, but I haven't found any way of getting this to work with iTunes yet. I can find my music and samples in the music app but I can't find them using the Files app which also means I can't find them when trying to import audio files in e.g. Spacecraft or Patterning. I can browse Dropbox and Google Drive but I'm not going to upload all my shit there just so I can access it on the iPad.

Be without
Opposite

Post by Be without »

I use my iPad in most music making sessions now. I sequence and send midi clock to iPad with my Digitakt.

I have all synths, drum machines etc hosted in an app called apesoft matrix. It has a cool feature where you can use lfos etc to modulate any parameter of synths or effect units. So you can get everything evolving over the sequence.

I have all audio damage and bram bos apps. Recently picked up Quanta from audio damage for £1.99

The bram bos apps are outstanding, Rozetta suite of sequencers, ruismaker noir, ripplemaker etc.

I map the controls to my Digitakt knobs and it works great.

AudioShare app is what I use for my samples etc

Han-il
Interact. Don't Spam.

Post by Han-il »

Ruismaker Noir is techno as fuck, I suspect most folks here would love it. Audio Damage, Sugar Bytes and Klevgrand all have a lot of goodness on the App Store. Aparillo sounds so damn good and it’s gui is perfect for iPad. LoopField is a real interesting one. Turns your phone into a loop field recorder with granular effects, it shits out useable material. iOS is great for generating sounds but it’s a bit iffy trying to to put it all together. DAWs like Beatmaker 3, Stagelight and Cubasis are either unstable or missing some frustrating things.

Pelecaras
Lifer

Post by Pelecaras »

sorry I know this thread about iPad but DRAGON DRUMS on android is a nasty ass drum machine that gets really dirty. Pity it isn't cross platform. not sure if there is anything similar on apple?
FUCK-WIT

ekwipt
Smore

Post by ekwipt »

There’s some amazing iOS apps for music production but it just goes to show how powerful the latest iPads are when you can run all of the Fab filter plugins inside of it!

FabFilter Pro Bundle by FabFilter https://apps.apple.com/au/app-bundle/fa ... 1469377147