Which artist consistently impresses you?

General Chat // Music Discussion
simon_marklar
Pig
Which artist consistently impresses you?

Post by simon_marklar »

Which artist consistently impresses you? no matter what their output, you listen to it and think "man, that is fucking top shelf, i love it" ???

For me its Marcus C. Maichel. for me, he is midas.

who is yours?
ヾ(⌐■_■)ノ♪ヾ(⌐■_■)ノ♪ヾ(⌐■_■)ノ♪ヾ(⌐■_■)ノ♪ヾ(⌐■_■)ノ♪ヾ(⌐■_■)ノ♪ヾ(⌐■_■)ノ♪ヾ(⌐■_■)ノ♪ヾ(⌐■_■)ノ♪ヾ(⌐■_■)ノ♪ヾ(⌐■_■)ノ♪

AlexSting
non reader
Re: Which artist consistently impresses you?

Post by AlexSting »

For me it's Andy Stott. He reliably comes up with pioneering and innovative sounds every album. "Faith in Strangers" deserves awards IMHO. It's like a classical concert...

Lost to the Void
subsekt
subsekt

Post by Lost to the Void »

Arvo part - utter genius
Bork - constantly shifting and embracing new paradigms.
Neurosis - utterly committed to their art, keep getting better over the years
Justin broadrick - super prolific always finding new ways to reframe his penchant for brutality
Surgeon - at least up until breaking the frame, which I thought was a brave album and nice step forwards, unfortunately techno land seemed to think it didn't go DOOF DOOF enough and he seems to have become a little reserved since.
Mastering Engineer @ Black Monolith Studio
New Shit
Techno is dead. Long live Techno.

Ttinga
Normality Restored

Post by Ttinga »

simon_marklar wrote:Which artist consistently impresses you? no matter what their output, you listen to it and think "man, that is fucking top shelf, i love it" ???

who is yours?
You're not really making this easy on us. :twisted: Has he released any tracks?

Googling did lead me to these guys https://soundcloud.com/desonanz who I'm actually really digging.

Mono-xID
Uumfääng

Post by Mono-xID »

CUNNINLYNGUISTS

the best rap crew with the deepest, most melancholic beats i've ever heard. The beatmaker (KNO) is a fucking genius as he samples rock and folk records instead of funk and soul. I own every album plus every mixtape (which are like 10 albums) and they don't have ANY bad or uninteresting song. The lyrics are concious, sometimes funny and far far away from all that money,bling and bitches crap which doesn't deserve the name hip-hop.

These dudes deserve waaaaaay more recognition. I fuckin' love 'em....

youtu.be/jy0Y3s1gt1Y

youtu.be/Z8rZ059UnmM

youtu.be/T2EDljd3tsE

youtu.be/kkoQnMLFGlI

youtu.be/dkC179BlRRk

youtu.be/B0_oOjPRdfI

youtu.be/DHHLABZseFk
http://soundcloud.com/monoxid

Behringer = ARTS label of synths

platform
BAD

Post by platform »

abdulla rashim - Watching his sound evolve has been a true pleasure. His most recent records are brilliant as is his collab with varg.
miles whittaker - I love everything he's done. Dark and twisted in the best ways.

Planar
subsekt
subsekt

Post by Planar »

Off the top of my head:

Monolake
Regis
Calibre
Consequence
Claudio Prc

mainst09
Traits

Post by mainst09 »

Cindy
Jönsson Tõll
Mauno Koivisto
Voices From Cindy's Cunt

PixelKind
who is it?

Post by PixelKind »

Adam-X, Surgeon and Regis considering how long these guys are making techno already and still dont sound boring in my opinion

simon_marklar
Pig

Post by simon_marklar »

Ttinga wrote:
simon_marklar wrote:Which artist consistently impresses you? no matter what their output, you listen to it and think "man, that is fucking top shelf, i love it" ???

who is yours?
You're not really making this easy on us. :twisted: Has he released any tracks?

Googling did lead me to these guys https://soundcloud.com/desonanz who I'm actually really digging.
half of X-Dream, main member of The Delta, 1/3rd of Downhill and heaps more

http://www.discogs.com/artist/80564-Marcus-C-Maichel

x-dream:
youtu.be/S26ZeINzYwY

Der Interpret:
youtu.be/8QtX0fe2BZE
youtu.be/5ItLL69S4mE

Downhill (looooooooove this track):
youtu.be/t7NK4gl_fxg

The Delta:
youtu.be/qPan5Jj1wW0

Ministry of primitive Arts:
youtu.be/027bVHoqgb8
ヾ(⌐■_■)ノ♪ヾ(⌐■_■)ノ♪ヾ(⌐■_■)ノ♪ヾ(⌐■_■)ノ♪ヾ(⌐■_■)ノ♪ヾ(⌐■_■)ノ♪ヾ(⌐■_■)ノ♪ヾ(⌐■_■)ノ♪ヾ(⌐■_■)ノ♪ヾ(⌐■_■)ノ♪ヾ(⌐■_■)ノ♪

simon_marklar
Pig

Post by simon_marklar »

Mono-xID wrote:CUNNINLYNGUISTS

the best rap crew with the deepest, most melancholic beats i've ever heard. The beatmaker (KNO) is a fucking genius as he samples rock and folk records instead of funk and soul. I own every album plus every mixtape (which are like 10 albums) and they don't have ANY bad or uninteresting song. The lyrics are concious, sometimes funny and far far away from all that money,bling and bitches crap which doesn't deserve the name hip-hop.

These dudes deserve waaaaaay more recognition. I fuckin' love 'em....
wow they're really good!!!!! the cocaine track is funny as, and like you say, some of the other ones really hit that melancholic feels. nice.

simon_marklar
Pig

Post by simon_marklar »

Lost to the Void wrote:Arvo part - utter genius
wow. just... wow!

simon_marklar
Pig

Post by simon_marklar »

AlexSting wrote:For me it's Andy Stott. He reliably comes up with pioneering and innovative sounds every album. "Faith in Strangers" deserves awards IMHO. It's like a classical concert...
listening to faith in strangers now (thank you youtube!). sounds like one of those albums that grows on you to become one of your favorites

Twilitez
You only live once

Post by Twilitez »

Biosphere never lets me down:

youtu.be/rXjZjovoqHw
youtu.be/aBW_bklt4Po
youtu.be/xL3MBMim36E (full album link because its amazing in general, possibly the essential modern ambient album of our time)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Zw67li ... -RVRRvaHPY (non graphic link to his Autour de la Lune album in full, quite slow dissonant and weird in places but completely worth it)

youtu.be/cplwxRLLhRY His climbing hobby turned into an album later, i couldn't find the full recording.

nocernoc
unsure

Post by nocernoc »

jerry abstract

nocernoc
unsure

Post by nocernoc »

Lost to the Void wrote: Surgeon - at least up until breaking the frame, which I thought was a brave album and nice step forwards, unfortunately techno land seemed to think it didn't go DOOF DOOF enough and he seems to have become a little reserved since.
i agree that BTF was a brave album but didn't it also do what it says on the pack? i think it did. i read a really good comment on youtube that went something like "he's taken IDM and integrated it back to techno". i tend to agree with that in large part but i also think that, as an artist he's developed to a stage where he seems almost to be expressing artistic "periods". that album gave me a sense of "the past". anyway, he seems also to be taking a more responsible roll; making sure all the right stuff gets heard, teaming up with the "youngins", growing a breard, etc... that would also explain his reduced output as a producer lately.

SFBM
&roid

Post by SFBM »

Future sound of London (non AA stuff, though). Andy Stott (loved the track cherry eye, but listened to luxury problems 2 nights ago and it has blown my mind). Clouds. Brian Eno. I'd say aphex twin, but I'm really not a fan of drukqs, and I need to give Syro a full listen but it hasn't captivated me so far.

AxeD
durchfall

Post by AxeD »

From the top of my head:
Surgeon
Tame Impala
JoeFarr
Greg Beato
Tessela
Suuns
Abulla Rashim
Blonde Redhead
Björk
Function
Juju & Jordash
My Bloody Valentine

terly
arsehole

Post by terly »

Xenakis

saminedia
slipper

Post by saminedia »

D Bridge
Om Unit