dub techno??

Electronic Music Production // Dark Arts
Sustain
fancy woman
dub techno??

Post by Sustain »

Hi guys I tried to make a kind of dub techno track but something does not convince me... can you help?? thanks a lot!

Sustain
fancy woman
Re: dub techno??

Post by Sustain »

sorry wrong section I already post it in the right one.

Hades
Shit Eater

Post by Hades »

just had a quick listen on headphones (sennheiser HDII, the DJ classic)
might have a listen on better headphones and/or studio monitors later, but I'm inbetween paint jobs in the house now, so not much time.

anyway, it's a good track, there's nothing really wrong with it.
It could do with a little more variation, but all in all it's pretty well produced.
but it ain't dub techno.

I think one of biggest things is that you have the bass frequencies filled up with other stuff and there's no real chord+delay going on like you have with proper dub techno tracks.

It's definitely the style of the darker more big room techno that's currently so much in fashion (which isn't a bad thing really), but if you really want dub techno, take out all the bass eating parts, do a minor chord, add some delay, add some background noise or field recording and then you're immediately in the dub techno ballpark.

some lovely tutorials on dub chords were done by fingersinthenoise.
check out this one don with just operator and sampler in Live :

youtu.be/deBnpm7ZkZM

[youtube]mzWHRSKmWqI&[/youtube]
Sin cambios no hay mariposa

Hades
Shit Eater

Post by Hades »

hell, for some reason link 2 doesn't work directly inside subsekt, and I won't be bothering a 3rd time...
but it's there on youtube.

penumbra
Poo Fingers

Post by penumbra »

Hades wrote:just had a quick listen on headphones (sennheiser HDII, the DJ classic)
might have a listen on better headphones and/or studio monitors later, but I'm inbetween paint jobs in the house now, so not much time.

anyway, it's a good track, there's nothing really wrong with it.
It could do with a little more variation, but all in all it's pretty well produced.
but it ain't dub techno.

I think one of biggest things is that you have the bass frequencies filled up with other stuff and there's no real chord+delay going on like you have with proper dub techno tracks.

It's definitely the style of the darker more big room techno that's currently so much in fashion (which isn't a bad thing really), but if you really want dub techno, take out all the bass eating parts, do a minor chord, add some delay, add some background noise or field recording and then you're immediately in the dub techno ballpark.

some lovely tutorials on dub chords were done by fingersinthenoise.
check out this one don with just operator and sampler in Live :

youtu.be/deBnpm7ZkZM

[youtube]mzWHRSKmWqI&[/youtube]
because a track with a kick on every quarter is completely different than verb bass... the former is creative... latter is not.

penumbra
Poo Fingers

Post by penumbra »

damn... I think I spent quite some time dicking with my iphone, and typing up a reply to hades... but apparently, my actual message did not post...

My message... or question rather, was along the lines of wondering if literally every song considered Dub Techno, must have that minor-chord-delay thing in it... is that really true?.. all music labeled as Dub Techno has the delay-chord thing?.. at least some version of it?.. or is it that most Dub Techno tracks have that... but not all of them?..
because a track with a kick on every quarter is completely different than verb bass... the former is creative... latter is not.

Barfunkel
Smalahove

Post by Barfunkel »

penumbra wrote: My message... or question rather, was along the lines of wondering if literally every song considered Dub Techno, must have that minor-chord-delay thing in it... is that really true?.. all music labeled as Dub Techno has the delay-chord thing?.. at least some version of it?.. or is it that most Dub Techno tracks have that... but not all of them?..
No, it's not mandatory. There are, for example, many Basic Channel tracks that don't have those delayed dub chords and BC are as dub techno as you can get.
"I don't shower every day, but when I do, I do it after listening to some Barfunkel" - Anonymous

http://soundcloud.com/user4904810
http://www.mixcloud.com/Barfunkel/

penumbra
Poo Fingers

Post by penumbra »

thanks barfunkel ;)

Alert
brown envelope

Post by Alert »

Hades wrote:I think one of biggest things is that you have the bass frequencies filled up with other stuff and there's no real chord+delay going on like you have with proper dub techno tracks.

truth

Hades
Shit Eater

Post by Hades »

Barfunkel wrote:
penumbra wrote: My message... or question rather, was along the lines of wondering if literally every song considered Dub Techno, must have that minor-chord-delay thing in it... is that really true?.. all music labeled as Dub Techno has the delay-chord thing?.. at least some version of it?.. or is it that most Dub Techno tracks have that... but not all of them?..
No, it's not mandatory. There are, for example, many Basic Channel tracks that don't have those delayed dub chords and BC are as dub techno as you can get.
no offence, but there are just about as much BC tracks that do feature chords.
they're just not always your typical cliché minor chords in the lower frequeny spectrum and less drenched in delay like pretty much 80% or more of what is called dub techno nowadays does.

to OP : what does it really matter ? if you make a great track, then it's fine, it don't matter which "genre" it will be "considered" to belong to.
Your track was just more what people would consider "big room techno" than "dub techno".
Hell, even Hard Wax would describe it like that, and their short descriptions are usually pretty spot on. If you're familiar with the, you can very easily expect what to get from a record before you've even listened to them for half a second.

I've made a track a few months back that I consider dub techno yet most of the dubby "feeling" comes from putting a delay on the kick, which is usually a no-no that many people wouldn't want to get into, and later on adding a duduk drenched in expensive reverb.
Who cares if that isn't what dub techno normally should be like ? I liked the result, and for lack of a better "label" on SC I called it "dub techno".

Just make tracks and see where the track/music leads you to.
Nothing wrong with that.
Fuck the masses and what they think anyway.

daunzila
arsehole

Post by daunzila »

Hades wrote:
I've made a track a few months back that I consider dub techno yet most of the dubby "feeling" comes from putting a delay on the kick, which is usually a no-no that many people wouldn't want to get into, and later on adding a duduk drenched in expensive reverb.
Who cares if that isn't what dub techno normally should be like ? I liked the result, and for lack of a better "label" on SC I called it "dub techno".

Just make tracks and see where the track/music leads you to.
Nothing wrong with that.
Fuck the masses and what they think anyway.
Yeah, just do your music man!

Hades, theres a link to this track you made it? im really curious about :)
WTF?!

Hades
Shit Eater

Post by Hades »

direct link to SC

but please remember it isn't that great.
I made 80% of the track on headphones at work, and just played in the duduk parts later at home on keys,
the bass is far too much, and the mix is far too long.
But I wanted to finish the track to be done with it cause not finishing tracks is my nr 1 problem, so I finished it like 2 days later at home.
I just don't like the finishing and arranging part, and I'm too much of a perfectionist so it's a painfull process I just like to avoid as much as possible. :)

Someone ripped it off SC and put on youtube though, only a few weeks after I made it, so at least someone must have liked it enough to do the effort. :)

daunzila
arsehole

Post by daunzila »

sorry, i asked for the track and then i got the 7x7 pack for the tr8, totally forgot about outside world for a while hehe

Listening now, really deep stuff, lovely man, i can see the dub feeling youre talking about in this track, but i wouldnt label it dub techno and again, who cares? its a great track :)
WTF?!

Hades
Shit Eater

Post by Hades »

yeah I didn't even label it as dub techno apparantly. just "techno".
I find those labels stupid anyway.
I just called the track "armenian dub" because of the whole dubby feeling and the duduk.

anyway, it's just a track.

some day I'm gonna learn how to play a duduk, it's such a beautiful melancholic sound.

Mattias
subsekt
subsekt

Post by Mattias »

Well I like that track Hades.
Music Page: http://www.facebook.com/Mattias.Fridell.Music
Soundcloud: http://soundcloud.com/fridell
Sample packs: http://mfsamples.bandcamp.com

Contention / 005

Hades
Shit Eater

Post by Hades »

Mattias wrote:Well I like that track Hades.
thx Mattias !

coming from a talent like you I suppose that's a true compliment to treasure :oops:

it still has too much bass and the mix is too long, but yeah...
I didn't work on it long enough, so what can one expect apart from just the right atmosphere, and I suppose the track kind of has that.
Lesson of the month : just use a bloody duduk, a duduk always works. :D

now if subsekt would only send out notification mails properly (I'm only receiving 1 out of 5 if even that, unsubscribing and resubscribing to topics doesn't seem to help) I would have read this days before the depressing X-mas + end of year period.
your compliment means a lot ! :)