Drum & Bass Thread

Electronic Music Production // Dark Arts
Planar
subsekt
subsekt
Re: Drum & Bass Thread

Post by Planar »

I was just joking. Techno is too serious to have a tune war. If we did this loon would win anyway: http://www.subsekt.com/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=5047

You just can't compete with that.

Anyway. Jungle. I like Om Units first one the best so far, it made me laugh. Some of the attempts seem to have lost the initial spirit of taking the piss a bit.

willemb
Mild

Post by willemb »

ah fuck, ive been done over by BSN

Om Units just wins for the sample haha.

thats why i like the first Gantz one though, its silly but super phat (serious?) at the same time!

Planar
subsekt
subsekt

Post by Planar »

I thinks probably the best thing BSN ever posted on here as well. It's gets worse (or better)... Much worse (or better).

Planar
subsekt
subsekt

Post by Planar »

A pretty interesting interview on the cross over of techno and DnB.

http://www.junodownload.com/plus/2014/1 ... hbourhood/

willemb
Mild

Post by willemb »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eqmjWCk36C8#t=106

"it was called jungle then, not drum and bass, that came later"

Planar
subsekt
subsekt

Post by Planar »

Planar wrote:A pretty interesting interview on the cross over of techno and DnB.

http://www.junodownload.com/plus/2014/1 ... hbourhood/

Another similar interview with Presha who runs Samurai. His labels are defining the whole scene for me and it's very interesting that he believes he's putting out techno on Horo despite the tempo. Techno as an ethos, if you will.

Planar
subsekt
subsekt

Post by Planar »

The link to that interview: http://www.teaandtechno.net/interviews/ ... ff-presha/. The mix is pretty sweet as well.

innovine
hmmmmmm...

Post by innovine »

Having read the interview before listening, I was expecting miracles, and it just sounds a bit aimless to me. like a few presets from different genres thrown together and then edited to calm it down. Did i miss the point somewhere?

Planar
subsekt
subsekt

Post by Planar »

Yes, I think you have. It's a very obvious cross-pollination of sound design techno with DnB. It's arguable that Monolake was doing this years ago but it's now it's own micro-genre with very few rules. You may not like it but in terms of DnB the sound is fairly revolutionary and is the kind of big leap that techno hasn't made for quite a while now. DnB has gone from incredibly stale to pretty exciting over the last couple of years and this is showing that things are still evolving. Presha's point is that what these guys are making could actually be though of as techno. Your thoughts on this will be highly dependant on whether you believe techno is underpinned by a bpm range and a kick drum, or if you believe techno is a way of thinking.

Calling it aimless just sounds a bit closed-minded really, sorry, firstly the mix is excellent, there is a definite beginning, middle and end, with a lovely flow. Secondly the music is no more or less aimless than any other form of dance music, hell, most of it sounds like sound design techno.

willemb
Mild

Post by willemb »

It is a leap for dnb, so much so, that i doubt that it will be accepted as dnb.

I can definitely hear sound design techno influence, but I think its a shame that the rolling energy is lost at the same time, most of the time this mix sounds too much like dub or ambient to me. And the tracks that do have more of a drive or sound more dubby actually dont sound that revolutionary to me. I think that this is more just "some kind of music" than much to do with dnb or techno, although clearly influenced by the two. All personal opinion of course.

Really digging some of the sound design though, and appreciating the fact that they are doing something different.

PS. I'm so incredibly jaded when it comes to dnb.

Lost to the Void
subsekt
subsekt

Post by Lost to the Void »

Yeah this new stuff coming out of smaurai horo camp and such, I like it a lot, but it isn`t drum and bass, it is more its own thing, I guess it can be thrown under the loose banner of IDM. It lacks pretty much all the traits that make drum and bass drum and bass.

I never ever liked the whole Drill and bass/Techno DnB fad like Raiden and such. For me, it lost the looseness and fluidity and bass obsession that made drum and bass, and jungle, so great, and inherited all the horrible cliches that made early 000`s techno so dull, the rigid beats, boring static sub and ridiculous overloopy repetition.

I like this new movement, but it`s a push to call it DnB
Mastering Engineer @ Black Monolith Studio
New Shit
Techno is dead. Long live Techno.

Planar
subsekt
subsekt

Post by Planar »

willemb wrote:It is a leap for dnb, so much so, that i doubt that it will be accepted as dnb.

I can definitely hear sound design techno influence, but I think its a shame that the rolling energy is lost at the same time, most of the time this mix sounds too much like dub or ambient to me. And the tracks that do have more of a drive or sound more dubby actually dont sound that revolutionary to me. I think that this is more just "some kind of music" than much to do with dnb or techno, although clearly influenced by the two. All personal opinion of course.

Really digging some of the sound design though, and appreciating the fact that they are doing something different.

PS. I'm so incredibly jaded when it comes to dnb.
You're the mirror oppisite of me Willem, I'm massively jaded with techno at the moment and its doing very little win me round. I listened to the Surgeon lady gaga warm-up thing and just sighed, whilst everyone else seemed to love it.

But you're right, it's a leap within a genre, but from a techno perspective it's not revolutionary because techno has done a lot of these sounds already, especially over the past couple of years. Looking from the DnB side it *is* revolutionary because you just don't hear these kinds of noises on that side of the fence (a few exceptions over the years apart). I guess it would be like techno embracing the heavily processed neuro sound (which may exist, I don't know), it would seem a bit old hat from the DnB perspective. It's precisely interesting because these kinds of sounds shouldn't fit that DnB template of rolling drums etc, it's breaking from the mould. The older techno-dnb thing was a much more comfortable fit although personally I never liked that sound- it never had the groove you had in techno.

I think there is a fair case that it shouldn't be called DnB as you're right, it brings the dub and ambient elements more to the fore, but then again the world hardly needs another genre. Eventually this newer sound will be watered down by the imitators anyway and become slightly more dancefloor oriented. The genre will have evolved because of it, just like its evolved because of the autonomic movement. It's great that an old, well established, yet insular genre like this has suddenly become much open to new sounds.

willemb
Mild

Post by willemb »

I cant wait for Fresh to bring out a vocal laden pop hit with resonant noisey textures and dubby kicks! :badteeth:

willemb
Mild

Post by willemb »

Maybe more genres might be the answer, if we have so many genres that we can't tell the genre anymore, and producers dont know which template to copy anymore, all we're left with is music.

And dub influences.... pfff. Thats why I just opened the door and had a Spring King delivered to me!! :)

oddmyth
Anba

Post by oddmyth »

Planar, thanks for turning me onto this mate, defo my bag, really reminiscent of what really piqued my interest in techno all those years ago.
Cue 3 2013 - Devil's Advocate.

See what this is all about at oddmyth.ca

Lost to the Void
subsekt
subsekt

Post by Lost to the Void »

willemb wrote: if we have so many genres that we can't tell the genre anymore, and producers dont know which template to copy anymore, all we're left with is music.

Wouldn`t that be wonderful??
Mastering Engineer @ Black Monolith Studio
New Shit
Techno is dead. Long live Techno.

willemb
Mild

Post by willemb »

It would be.

Now for the hard bit: we just have to set up a consortium to invent a genre weekly, and make sure that it catches on sufficiently, otherwise its just forgotten. Or monthly to give it time to spread and go viral, and it should take about 5 years then? Make a KLF style plan that'll work. Get buy in of relevant people who can influence/market. Then within a year people will be lost. And from the chaos beauty will arise.

innovine
hmmmmmm...

Post by innovine »

Planar wrote:Yes, I think you have. It's a very obvious cross-pollination of sound design techno with DnB.
No it's not. There's absolutely nothing obviously dnb about it. It's like saying this is a giant leap for bluegrass. It's bluegrass music with techno design. Very forward, so forward that it's backwards, with its head up it's arse.

in terms of DnB the sound is fairly revolutionary
It's even more revolutionary in terms of bluegrass.
your thoughts on this will be highly dependant on whether you believe techno is underpinned by a bpm range and a kick drum, or if you believe techno is a way of thinking.

its just anemic techno with a syncopated kick. Nothing revolutionary or exciting or philosophical, unless you're desperate.
hell, most of it sounds like sound design techno.
My point exactly.

Planar
subsekt
subsekt

Post by Planar »

Well bring on the bluegrass movement then mate, because it's sounds miles better than most of the tripe that passes for techno at the moment.