FM synths vst's

Electronic Music Production // Dark Arts
Amba
Mingler
FM synths vst's

Post by Amba »

Hi,

I hope i'm not repeating any thread. So currently I work a lot with FM8 and operator and I would like to change to something similar, wanted to ask you guys which ones do you use? Which one would you suggest?

Thanks!

Regards,

Mono-xID
Uumfääng
Re: FM synths vst's

Post by Mono-xID »

bought me this one last week and i have to say i fucken love this synth...

http://www.u-he.com/cms/bazille
http://soundcloud.com/monoxid

Behringer = ARTS label of synths

Planar
subsekt
subsekt

Post by Planar »

There aren't any better FM synths than those 2, maybe Sytrus is on a similar kind of level.

msl
║▌║█║▌│║▌║▌█

Post by msl »

FM8 is the best.

www.bernadettetrax.bandcamp.com
www.soundcloud.com/michaellovatt

“Once men turned their thinking over to machines in the hope that this would set them free. But that only permitted other men with machines to enslave them.” Dune

Críoch
subsekt
subsekt

Post by Críoch »

I really love operator.. I know it's basic compared to FM8, but I'm finding new things in it all the time. It's really holding my interest.
KennethExack wrote:My kids and I are completely shocked by the specialized secrets that everyone has on this forum
>> Click here for NEW POSTS on subsekt <<

Dialog I The Hole I subsekt Blog I The Bench I IG I SC I Mixes I FB

ozias_leduc
ANAL

Post by ozias_leduc »

fm8 pisses me off a bit.

where is the copy + paste operator buttons like fm7? that annoys me.

anyhoo, +1 for mono-xID's suggestion of bazille. the fm sounds beautiful, and it's so flexible and fun!

krypt
Smore

Post by krypt »

Reaktor, Massive or z3ta. Although most people will say that 'massive is limited' and 'zeta sounds oldschool' - they aren't (maybe a little). It's just matter of know-how,especially with z3ta. Ofcourse if you're looking for easy press-button supersound, then those two gentleman won't take you there - it's a lot of tweaking to get them sound right. But anyways, Reaktor is a whole new level.

Recently, calum666 shared here his vst Hybrid 3 - It sounds brilliant and it is very nice. I think it will be my next main vst. I'm digging it righ now. [It's not fm, its subtractive synth]. Look for it on subsekt.
There is also beforementioned, high-valued Aalto [haven't tried it yet]

If you're looking for more, just check the Native Instruments product list. I'm sure they developed plenty of them.

Planar
subsekt
subsekt

Post by Planar »

Krpyt, no-one said z3ta sounded old school, just that it was getting on a bit. It's interface is a bit shit and it doesn't sound as good as some newer synths- I'm hardly a synth snob and I can hear it. Of course, you can get great results with it. Recommending 2 wavetable synths capable of a bit of FM isn't really a good substitution for a proper FM synth (nor is Aalto, which is closer). Serum does the same thing as them both but miles better imo as do Bazille and Zebra 2 (I own them all). I've never found an FM synth in Reaktor I've liked.

FM8 really is the king here. Operator is a really good, simpler solution for FM. Both synths make FM about as clear as it's going to get. Amba should really clarify what he is after here.

I've been saying for ages we need a dedicated FM thread. I'll make it tonight.

krypt
Smore

Post by krypt »

Yeah, I know with this oldschool - im just teasing. You are right, that those new ones sound better - I heard it recently with Hybrid 3. But z3ta after some tweaking can also be comparable. I'm just used to it. Dedicated topic would be great. I don't know if you agree, but when it goes about FM, choosing and deeply understanding 1-2 tools is sufficient - you don't need bunch of them. Most of those vst's are big powerhouses enabling to create great variety of stuff.
P.S. I am goint to purchase Aalto for my christmas present in December (I think chrismtmas period will be enough to read the manual and acknowledge with the tool).

Planar
subsekt
subsekt

Post by Planar »

The problem with using z3ta, massive, zebra etc for FM is the limited number of operators you have to play with. It's limiting, which can be a good thing, but a dedicated synth offers so much more. You get 6 operators with FM8 and you can route them any way you can think of.

Instead of just reading the Aalto manual try the free version (still, it's a good manual, read it). You can download it here: http://www.beatdrive.de:8080/upload/plu ... _1.3.2.rar

It only has a single voice, otherwise it's unrestricted.

joel
Interact. Don't Spam.

Post by joel »

I also like operator. It can make chord stabs and sub bass and thats all a techno producer needs!

Mono-xID
Uumfääng

Post by Mono-xID »

joel wrote:I also like operator. It can make chord stabs and sub bass and thats all a techno producer needs!
I hope you're just kidding dude.... :?
http://soundcloud.com/monoxid

Behringer = ARTS label of synths

krypt
Smore

Post by krypt »

of course he is. it's all about kickdrum!

Amba
Mingler

Post by Amba »

Cool! Bazille looks really tasty! operator and especially FM8 are definitely massive, they are my go to synths, was interested to see what other synths were out there!

Aalto is definitely a fun synth, can get some great sounds out of that!

Amba
Mingler

Post by Amba »

Z3ta look quite fun!

Reaktor, still quite afraid to dive in haha