Planar - Coiled

Post your work here - Ask for feedback or just show it off
Planar
subsekt
subsekt
Planar - Coiled

Post by Planar »

Spamming you guys with some more DnB. Enjoy!

krypt
Smore
Re: Planar - Coiled

Post by krypt »

hello Planar!
i've just listened and i've got to say, track is very high quality. nothing to add/comment from my side, pleasure listening to it.
however, I have something to add but it doesn't concern the mix: you could work more on arrangement and it lacks some melodic element. as you know, it is very pesonal and i am sure the track is result of your perfected concept, and the space in the mix is required by this particular concept/style but I think that every quality track should have something particular in it and it usually comes frome some kind of lead/groove that is the substance of music in general and reflects in a quality music track. so you could work on this element, it may be reached by interesting lead, some backgroud noise loop of whatever. but you know it's more about the approach, and it may be my approach, not yours - then i have really nothing to say. great sound!

p.s.
i am certain it passes willemb test!

Planar
subsekt
subsekt

Post by Planar »

I appreciate the feedback, Krypt. I don't really want to make music with obvious lead elements, it's all meant to be about the atmosphere and filthy bass noises. I don't know if you've listened to my mixes, but those kind of tracks are what I'm after and I obviously have a long way to go to achieve that sound. I am planning to work on something a bit more uptempo next, so that might end up with a silly reese melody. Or maybe it won't, who knows!
krypt wrote:p.s.
i am certain it passes willemb test!
Ha! We shall see...

Mono-xID
Uumfääng

Post by Mono-xID »

really cool mate. like the whole atmosphere of this track. great stuff !!!!
http://soundcloud.com/monoxid

Behringer = ARTS label of synths

mattie
refusenik

Post by mattie »

A well thought out arrangement,nice work.

krypt
Smore

Post by krypt »

Planar wrote:I appreciate the feedback, Krypt. I don't really want to make music with obvious lead elements, it's all meant to be about the atmosphere and filthy bass noises. I don't know if you've listened to my mixes, but those kind of tracks are what I'm after and I obviously have a long way to go to achieve that sound.
I know precisely what you mean. Of course i did listen to your mixes (very good stuff!). I was dnb head some time ago and i understand this style, similar to f.e. ASC. But what I wanted to say is that you've got the skills. You can push forward, develop your music and maybe the genre. I'm not talking about silly melodies. I am talking about few sounds during the whole track which will take it to the next level. The more organic those sounds will be, the better. It could just remind a melody of our times, but it should be forward thinking sound, that adds groove and make the track very particular. I hope you know what I mean. that is my idea to develop the style, but I would not like to sound as this is some 'must' or whatever. Its result from my boredom of contemporary electronic dance music, there is a lots of quality stuff, but very few really new ideas. And I think you're able to go there. Just don't stop on the style you wanted to achieve.

Planar
subsekt
subsekt

Post by Planar »

I get what you mean now, sorry. I don't think I'll be revolutionising the genre (or any genre). But I've always seen the trajectory to first make reasonably professional sounding tracks and then develop my own sound after. I don't feel like I'm a million miles off the first part of that now, so hopefully the artisty should come through a bit more over the coming year.

daunzila
arsehole

Post by daunzila »

man, this sounds absurd, really love the tense atmosphere, good work here mate
WTF?!

willemb
Mild

Post by willemb »

It does pass my test, in that I can hear the presence of the sub in fairly low volume, congrats! :) Its definitely a track to be proud of, and I have no doubt it will sound good in a club!

I think partially I was aiming for a slightly different sound, A/Bing with the August dnb mix in your signature, there are tracks in there that wouldnt pass my test!!

The track at 17:40 would not pass. The track at 26:30, would also not pass.

The track at 29:50, ignoring the very high layer on the bass, has clearly audible bass at any volume, this is what I was aiming for. The track at 42:35 also has this feature. I believe most of the CX podcast tracks also have this feature, which I think is essential, as yes inaudible subs might work on headphones or club systems, but anyone listening on speakers at lower volumes will just not know about the presence of the bass. Some of this might also be fixed in mastering.

In a way I think your bass now sounds something in between tracks with this feature, and tracks that will only work in clubs/headphones. Even if you play on headphones or club systems, tracks with this feature just sound phatter in my opinion.

One of these days (I've got some other project deadline to finish first) I will make a planar style dnb track, as I have been talking and listening to this so much now that I wonder if I can do it myself! This will purely be a technical challenge, as to be honest I am not really feeling dnb anymore.

Planar
subsekt
subsekt

Post by Planar »

willemb wrote:It does pass my test, in that I can hear the presence of the sub in fairly low volume, congrats! :) Its definitely a track to be proud of, and I have no doubt it will sound good in a club!
Woohoo! I finally passed! You were dead right right with your earlier feedback, my 'casual' headphones aren't good for making low bass decisions. I'm more concerned with how it sounds on a sound system then through a laptop speaker, but hopefully there is just enough bass now for a decent compromise.
willemb wrote:I think partially I was aiming for a slightly different sound, A/Bing with the August dnb mix in your signature, there are tracks in there that wouldnt pass my test!!

The track at 17:40 would not pass. The track at 26:30, would also not pass.

The track at 29:50, ignoring the very high layer on the bass, has clearly audible bass at any volume, this is what I was aiming for. The track at 42:35 also has this feature. I believe most of the CX podcast tracks also have this feature, which I think is essential, as yes inaudible subs might work on headphones or club systems, but anyone listening on speakers at lower volumes will just not know about the presence of the bass. Some of this might also be fixed in mastering.
Yeah, some of this style is definitely not made in the traditional DnB way. I think a lot of these guys are really into techno and leave a lot of the sub content in the kick, instead of the traditional high pass at 80hz and then a massive sub underneath. The different approach is why it appeals to me, there's good scope for mixing it instead of the boring epic intro/drop formula that gets old quickly. I like to do 4x4 style blends when I'm on the decks. Still I'm happy if I've finally got in the right ballpark, I do want bass in my tracks.

I think 90% of those tracks have been on a cx, Cylon or samurai podcast over the past 12 months. It makes me come across as right Loxy wannabe, when really it's just because he gets all the tunes years ahead of everyone else :(
willemb wrote:One of these days (I've got some other project deadline to finish first) I will make a planar style dnb track, as I have been talking and listening to this so much now that I wonder if I can do it myself! This will purely be a technical challenge, as to be honest I am not really feeling dnb anymore.
Do it. I'd love to hear someone else have a go.

willemb
Mild

Post by willemb »

Planar wrote:I think 90% of those tracks have been on a cx, Cylon or samurai podcast over the past 12 months. It makes me come across as right Loxy wannabe, when really it's just because he gets all the tunes years ahead of everyone else :(
Dubplates (err... i mean mp3s) in dnb? whatever next!?

Planar
subsekt
subsekt

Post by Planar »

It doesn't help that he signed half of the material to his own label and never releases anything. Bukem syndrome. I think Samurai are putting out a big compilation on his behalf early next year anyway, so I can get my hands on lots of stuff I've been waiting for.

Ttinga
Normality Restored

Post by Ttinga »

Planar wrote:I get what you mean now, sorry. I don't think I'll be revolutionising the genre (or any genre). But I've always seen the trajectory to first make reasonably professional sounding tracks and then develop my own sound after. I don't feel like I'm a million miles off the first part of that now, so hopefully the artisty should come through a bit more over the coming year.

Excellent work man. I would say don't hold yourself back though in terms of artistry, you've got the technical skills now.

jordanneke
subsekt
subsekt

Post by jordanneke »

Mate, that's a quality track man.

Mslwte
subsekt
subsekt

Post by Mslwte »

Agreed. I like your DnB style. Kinda slow tempo but fast breaks. I've downloaded one of your mixes to listen to as well.
https://soundcloud.com/mslwte
https://noizefacilityrecords.bandcamp.com
https://www.instagram.com/subsekt909
https://www.facebook.com/subsekt909/
Lost to the Void wrote:Fuck off, get some tequila down ya neck and make some noise you cunt....

SquareTheCircle
quasi-public

Post by SquareTheCircle »

I didn't listen to the mixtape because its not really my thing. Not to say I don't like drum n bass . I just couldn't eat a whole one.

I do like breaks and interesting techno. The tune is really cool. Its like early Hybrid without the strings and orchestra. I don't think you need to add in any rhythm or melody. I think once it gets busy one could find ones own groove. So its a cool tune to me.

Maybe it could be a bit fatter? Will you mix it again?
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
BandCamp: https://jonathanhart.bandcamp.com
SoundCloud WIPS: https://soundcloud.com/djsquarethecircle
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Planar
subsekt
subsekt

Post by Planar »

Thanks for the nice feedback, chaps. It means a lot :)
SquareTheCircle wrote:Maybe it could be a bit fatter? Will you mix it again?
I don't really know what you mean by "fatter", its a term I've never really got, just like "warmer". Do I think I could improve the mix? Yes I think I could maybe get another 5% out of it. Do I think it's worth the time and effort to get that extra? Not really, no. Despite how simple it may sound it's actually a fairly complex track and I've had to compromise to get the mix where it is given my current level. If I mixed it again, I'd be more concerned that I'd make it worse.

Hepta
I Love YOU!!!

Post by Hepta »

I like that it's not melodic Planar. It has more of a dungeon feeling you know. Love it.

day.one
GET A FUCKING AVATAR!!

Post by day.one »

Great work!

LuigiTozzii
refusenik

Post by LuigiTozzii »

Great track =)