Hardware recommendations

Electronic Music Production // Dark Arts
PixelKind
who is it?
Re: Hardware recommendations

Post by PixelKind »

If you are looking for a keyboard thats a synth as well you can check out some of the cheaper new synths that do midi over USB. for example the Arturia Mini/Microbrute, Novation Bassstation 2, ...
Dont have experience with them myself so I cant tell if the keys are any good but there are tons of reviews online about them

arc
^^ Has a Drumcode Tattoo

Post by arc »

Can't give enough praise for the Novation SL25. Love everything about mine - the rotaries, pots, sliders, keys and mostly the software. The only thing that sucks on it are the pads, which are completely useless as far as I'm concerned.

If you want a really nice keyboard that's cheap, check out the AKAI MPK mini. I used to have one and loved it, but ended up giving it to my cousin. That was a great little controller though. Very compact and it felt great to use. My only complaint with it was the knobs were really tiny, but it wasn't a dealbreaker.

msl
║▌║█║▌│║▌║▌█

Post by msl »

bastos wrote:No, I don't have MIDI interface but, afther reading your post, I'm thinking of getting some. Any recommendations on that?

Yeah best is if your interface has midi. Otherwise for cheap you can get a M-Audio Midisport 2x2, for more i/o ESI and Motu make bigger models. I have a Motu Micro Lite 5x5. Depends on how much hardware you plan on having.

Anyway you want 61keys ideally, 25/49keys are just too limiting.Thats why I suggested an older synth, which would of been €500-1000+ back in the day.

arc wrote:Can't give enough praise for the Novation SL25. Love everything about mine - the rotaries, pots, sliders, keys and mostly the software. The only thing that sucks on it are the pads, which are completely useless as far as I'm concerned.
Different strokes for different folks but I had the original ZeroSL and hated it, so plastic, the faders where useless and the pads stiff, auto map never worked properly, sold it on quickly.

www.bernadettetrax.bandcamp.com
www.soundcloud.com/michaellovatt

“Once men turned their thinking over to machines in the hope that this would set them free. But that only permitted other men with machines to enslave them.” Dune

CountingToes
fancy woman

Post by CountingToes »

+1 for the arturia beatstep, picked one up the other week, quality piece of kit, sequencer is really good fun tho the lack of chaining patterns is a pain in the arse (tho there are work arounds) The drum pads are great quality too.
Think I'm going to get another. Highly recommended

Alume
Confetti

Post by Alume »

bastos wrote:No, I don't have MIDI interface but, afther reading your post, I'm thinking of getting some. Any recommendations on that?
I really like my focusrite 6i6. It has enough line inputs for a begining home studio --> 4 inputs

Sorry I read audio interface, never mind this comment
Last edited by Alume on Thu Sep 25, 2014 11:16 am, edited 1 time in total.

PixelKind
who is it?

Post by PixelKind »

all new keyboards do MIDI through USB so if you gonna buy a new keyboard you wont need a MIDI interface for now. The mentioned Novation and AKAI all use USB to connect to your computer.

What audio interface do you use?

bastos
broke

Post by bastos »

msl wrote: Yeah best is if your interface has midi. Otherwise for cheap you can get a M-Audio Midisport 2x2, for more i/o ESI and Motu make bigger models. I have a Motu Micro Lite 5x5. Depends on how much hardware you plan on having.

Anyway you want 61keys ideally, 25/49keys are just too limiting.Thats why I suggested an older synth, which would of been €500-1000+ back in the day.
On how much hardware I plan having... To be honest - I don't know. I think that Push (for composing), APC40 (for mixing) and one keyboard (still thinking about which one to get) will do the job, for now. I'm being attracted to http://www.roland.com/products/en/TB-3/ also...

Arturia Beatstep seems like great piece of hardware but I recon If I buy Push I wouldn't need one. With Push, I could make all rhythm patterns, and even synth stuff, but I would preffer keyboard for that anyway.

msl
║▌║█║▌│║▌║▌█

Post by msl »

bastos wrote:
msl wrote:On how much hardware I plan having... To be honest - I don't know. I think that Push (for composing), APC40 (for mixing) and one keyboard (still thinking about which one to get) will do the job, for now. I'm being attracted to http://www.roland.com/products/en/TB-3/ also...

Alright your confusing us a little here by calling everything hardware, usually that mean synths TB- 3, etc. Your talking about whats called controllers Push, APC40 and Keyboard. None of those actually make any sound they are just used to control your DAW.

Anyway like I said you can get a cheap used usb keyboard for €50 on ebay. Its just that usually the feel like €50 keys...

A few suggestions, DON'T buy too much at once... in all honesty Push or TB-3 is probably enough to keep you going for a good while. Just buy one of those and some monitors and an audio interface. If you get an audio interface with midi, then you can chose to get either a simple usb keyboard or an older synth as I suggested.

peas

www.bernadettetrax.bandcamp.com
www.soundcloud.com/michaellovatt

“Once men turned their thinking over to machines in the hope that this would set them free. But that only permitted other men with machines to enslave them.” Dune

Hepta
I Love YOU!!!

Post by Hepta »

LaurentOrchard wrote:Novation Control XL. That thing is so cool, so cheap

I've been thinking of getting this one as well. But I've read in abletons forum that theres problem with the midi-scripting on it. It won't remember your mappings in VST's for the 24 faders.

I've also laid my eyes on the Livid Ds1, but the whole dubspot thing about it seems off-putting. I really want to get a controller with lots of knobs innit to improve my workflow. But can't decide which one.