Re: best 303 machine in the market?

Post by BandoftheHand »

Mslwte
subsekt
subsekt

Post by Mslwte »

Hades wrote:
Mslwte wrote:The devilfish mod effects the sound in a bad way imo. I wouldn't bother and certainly not at that price. I haven't listened to a devilfish in years but I was never impressed by it. I can see advantages by having midi, ie a x0xb0x etc but why fuck up the sound of an original 303?
care to elaborate on this one ?
In what way do you feel it effects the sound in a bad way ?
and, to be honest, are there any better alternatives ?
What's the point in spending all that money and making a 303 sound like that? The magic is in the sequencer and that typical acid squelchy groove. That it's.

I'm all for experimenting but a 303 is just a one trick pony and is best left alone in my opinion.
https://soundcloud.com/mslwte
https://noizefacilityrecords.bandcamp.com
https://www.instagram.com/subsekt909
https://www.facebook.com/subsekt909/
Lost to the Void wrote:Fuck off, get some tequila down ya neck and make some noise you cunt....

decair
broke

Post by decair »

They sound fine, Drumcell owns one with the mods and his sounds great...I think its just hearsay regarding that it doesn't sound good by those that never actually heard one...this is the one I purchased and have hadfor the past year...http://www.ebay.com/itm/Xoxbox-Silver-A ... 3a99f9f27d
There's your damn avatar!

Hades
Shit Eater

Post by Hades »

Mslwte wrote:
Hades wrote:
Mslwte wrote:The devilfish mod effects the sound in a bad way imo. I wouldn't bother and certainly not at that price. I haven't listened to a devilfish in years but I was never impressed by it. I can see advantages by having midi, ie a x0xb0x etc but why fuck up the sound of an original 303?
care to elaborate on this one ?
What's the point in spending all that money and making a 303 sound like that? The magic is in the sequencer and that typical acid squelchy groove. That it's.

I'm all for experimenting but a 303 is just a one trick pony and is best left alone in my opinion.
sound like what ?
as far as I know the mod isn't gonna make it sound completely different unless you want it to.
Most of the sound samples tend to show the more extreme sounds you can do with it, but that doesn't mean it can't sound more normal 303-ish any more, AFAIK.

Plus to be honest I'm more interested in the new parameters like slide time, sweep speed, soft attack, accent decay,...
And of course the handy stuff like MIDI which I'll have installed (it's not standard part of the mod, but obviously I'm gonna throw that in there)

I don't think the 303 is a one trick pony. If It were only good for that distorted squelchy lead, then yeah, but it's been used for fantastic mellow basslines in the last years.
Of course it will never covers huge sound palette, but it can do more than just one thing in my opinion.

Do you consider the 101 a one trick pony ?
I mean, most people only know the 101 from it's techno lead.
Would you consider modding the 101 a bad idea ?
Cause that's been on my list for a while too, and it's only a fraction of the price of the devilfish mod.
If I remember correctly, modding my 101 would cost me approx 200€.
Chances are rather big my 101 will get modded a lot sooner than my 303. :D
Sin cambios no hay mariposa

Hades
Shit Eater

Post by Hades »

decair wrote:They sound fine, Drumcell owns one with the mods and his sounds great...I think its just hearsay regarding that it doesn't sound good by those that never actually heard one...
you're talking about a 303 with devilfish mod now or some 303 clone like the xoxbox ?

Hades
Shit Eater

Post by Hades »

BandoftheHand wrote:http://www.socialentropy.com/quicksilver/qs303.html

Update the cpu. ;)
this looks very interesting, plus extremely affordable. I had never heard of it.
Do you know anything more about this ?
You don't happen to know someone who had this installed ?

BandoftheHand
rescued

Post by BandoftheHand »

Hades wrote: this looks very interesting, plus extremely affordable. I had never heard of it.

https://www.gearslutz.com/board/electro ... 03-a.html

https://www.gearslutz.com/board/electro ... 303-a.html
audioconsult... :ugeek:

No.

decair
broke

Post by decair »

Hades wrote:
decair wrote:They sound fine, Drumcell owns one with the mods and his sounds great...I think its just hearsay regarding that it doesn't sound good by those that never actually heard one...
you're talking about a 303 with devilfish mod now or some 303 clone like the xoxbox ?

Yeah, the devilfish...to rich for my blood, I don't make enough to justify buying one. Just to clarify, the mods allow for distortion and harmonic changes to the frequency. Most old school acid tracks had to use 4 foot pedals to achieve a similar sound. You could prob do it in Ableton, however the xoxbox is the most affordable other than the TR-3. I'm surprised no one mentioned the Aria as of yet...
There's your damn avatar!

Mslwte
subsekt
subsekt

Post by Mslwte »

Hades wrote:
Mslwte wrote:
Hades wrote: care to elaborate on this one ?

sound like what ?
as far as I know the mod isn't gonna make it sound completely different unless you want it to.
Most of the sound samples tend to show the more extreme sounds you can do with it, but that doesn't mean it can't sound more normal 303-ish any more, AFAIK.

Plus to be honest I'm more interested in the new parameters like slide time, sweep speed, soft attack, accent decay,...
And of course the handy stuff like MIDI which I'll have installed (it's not standard part of the mod, but obviously I'm gonna throw that in there)

I don't think the 303 is a one trick pony. If It were only good for that distorted squelchy lead, then yeah, but it's been used for fantastic mellow basslines in the last years.
Of course it will never covers huge sound palette, but it can do more than just one thing in my opinion.

Do you consider the 101 a one trick pony ?
I mean, most people only know the 101 from it's techno lead.
Would you consider modding the 101 a bad idea ?
Cause that's been on my list for a while too, and it's only a fraction of the price of the devilfish mod.
If I remember correctly, modding my 101 would cost me approx 200€.
Chances are rather big my 101 will get modded a lot sooner than my 303. :D
Personally I would go for a heavily modded x0xb0x (maybe and x0xi0) and save butchering a lovely 303 and a fair bit of money as well.

I don't know anything about 101 mods but I know a 101 is cheaper to buy and probably cheaper to mod than a 303. I have a 202 so I'm sure a 101 is more versatile than a 303
https://soundcloud.com/mslwte
https://noizefacilityrecords.bandcamp.com
https://www.instagram.com/subsekt909
https://www.facebook.com/subsekt909/
Lost to the Void wrote:Fuck off, get some tequila down ya neck and make some noise you cunt....

Hades
Shit Eater

Post by Hades »

decair wrote:
Hades wrote:

Yeah, the devilfish...to rich for my blood, I don't make enough to justify buying one. Just to clarify, the mods allow for distortion and harmonic changes to the frequency. Most old school acid tracks had to use 4 foot pedals to achieve a similar sound. You could prob do it in Ableton, however the xoxbox is the most affordable other than the TR-3. I'm surprised no one mentioned the Aria as of yet...
thx for the info.
If I understood it correctly though, the mods do more than just distortion, no ?
better bass response, faster attack, longer decay, env mod has been tripled,...
There's quite a lot that has been changed if you read the manual of the devilfish mod.

http://www.firstpr.com.au/rwi/dfish/Dev ... Manual.pdf

I think no one has mentioned the TR-3 cause no one tried it out yet.
I wanted to try it out in a local music store, and the shop owner told me Roland made it "exclusive" by giving only 3 shops in the whole country the right to sell them.
same with all the aira products.
pfff, jeezes... :roll:

I honestly felt the TR-3 looked very promising.
If the sound was any good, I'd be in the market for buying one.
But I have to test it out in person first.

Hades
Shit Eater

Post by Hades »

BandoftheHand wrote:
Hades wrote: this looks very interesting, plus extremely affordable. I had never heard of it.

https://www.gearslutz.com/board/electro ... 03-a.html

https://www.gearslutz.com/board/electro ... 303-a.html
audioconsult... :ugeek:

No.

fuck me.
just halfway through reading the 1st gearslutz link.
this upgrade looks like exactly the type of thing I'm looking for.
(and most likely the best upgrade to do on my 303, if I still want to do other stuff later, then so be it, but I highly doubt it, except maybe getting a metal case for it)

To quote the gearslutz topic :
All of this can be recorded into the DAW and played back so you can totally eliminate ALL of the quirky sequencing of the 303 if you like. This is probably THE most appealing thing for me. I am a keyboard player and am way more comfortable playing sequences than programming them.
I am a pianist. The thought of playing my 303 from my keyboard, programming my patterns in that way (instead of the stupid sequencer which everybody's supposed to love), playing legato when I want to tie the notes.
Give my trained fingers the option to add accent or legato slides to a sound as nice as the 303,
then perhaps (no idea about this, but will find out) making velocity control the cutoff, and I'll be in pure heaven. :shock:

Oooowww, it's been a long time since I was ever that excited about gear... :)
Play me some Chopin on a 303... :lol:

many thx for the links !
I seriously owe you some beer.

BandoftheHand
rescued

Post by BandoftheHand »

Rochefort 10.

Hades
Shit Eater

Post by Hades »

I just contacted those guys.
If the mod goes through and works as I expect, I will gladly send you a few rochefort 10's, no problemo !

Alume
Confetti

Post by Alume »

What are the possibilities with a 303 sounding device. I mean, basslines and acid oke.

But with some fx what can it become, does anyone have examples?

Hades
Shit Eater

Post by Hades »

Alume wrote:What are the possibilities with a 303 sounding device. I mean, basslines and acid oke.

I'm sorry, but what do you mean exactly ?
You want to hear how non-303 a 303 can sound when run through enough fx, is that it ?

Alume
Confetti

Post by Alume »

Hades wrote:
Alume wrote:What are the possibilities with a 303 sounding device. I mean, basslines and acid oke.

I'm sorry, but what do you mean exactly ?
You want to hear how non-303 a 303 can sound when run through enough fx, is that it ?
I think im just want some examples of unconventional ose of a 303 or clone.
How creative can you get with basslines, or other sounds.

Something like this, or am I completly wrong here saying this is a 303?
youtu.be/wBZXiGYsHu4

Hades
Shit Eater

Post by Hades »

^^ ow no, that's definitely a 303.
but in what way do you think it's so much different sounding than what you mean (bass/lead) ?
I mean, I LOVE a 303 used in not too obvious ways, so I love the stuff of this video,
but it still sounds very much like a 303 in my opinion, just used in a slower context,
it's not like the FX drastically changed it in the video you posted.

if you do want unconventional samples, then have a listen to the samples on the devilfish page.
Not that it's actually that that I'm personally after, but it's defenitely a lot less 303 sounding at times.

Wiu
Slowy J

Post by Wiu »

The 303 (or a clone) is kind of like a guitar in that it's just so recognizable. But that's a good thing I think. Sure you could throw a ton of effects at it and get some different results, but I think the reason they're so damn popular is that the sounds it does are just so nice, be it the lovely square wave bass or the full resonance squelches and everything in between. God I'm gonna go fire my x0xb0x up and tweak that cunt for a hour or so.....
Thank you for the laughs, debate, new music found, production tips etc etc over the years. I wish Subsekt and everyone all the best for the future. Wiu.

Hades
Shit Eater

Post by Hades »

Wiu wrote: but I think the reason they're so damn popular is that the sounds it does are just so nice, be it the lovely square wave bass or the full resonance squelches and everything in between.
^^ exactly this.

Alume
Confetti

Post by Alume »

Hmm yeah probably so. Ill give it some more time.