What Do Seasoned Members Think About Brainworx Limiter Ad?

Electronic Music Production // Dark Arts
qb748t394
fancy woman
What Do Seasoned Members Think About Brainworx Limiter Ad?

Post by qb748t394 »

I received a Plugin Alliance promotion last night regarding the BX-Limiter. After reading through the advertisement, it left me wondering if anyone on this forum has conflicting thoughts about the ad... because there's a sentence or two that says music producers shouldn't use a limiter only on the master bus..??

here is part of the ad in question:

Brainworx bx_limiter

To get your mixes out of the computer “loud & proud” but grooving and without unwanted distortion, it is necessary to cut off peaks and transients on all channels and stems (i.e., grouped or summed audio channels). Any pro will tell you: ”Don´t just limit on the master bus!”

bx_limiter was designed to be used on multiple busses to smooth things out and glue them together prior to running through a full blown mastering limiter, like the Brainworx bx_XL V2.

don't just limit on the master bus... so put a limiter on all of your tracks?... of course this is an ad, and they wan me to buy it.. but still... most of the time, I here people arguing back and forth about limiters ONLY being for mastering engineers, and that mixing engineers have no business using them on anything really... that is, unless they want to make a "quick" assessment of what a mastered version of their mix might sound like... or to play the track out live before proper master... what do you all think?... is anyone using a limiter on regular tracks?

Mono-xID
Uumfääng
Re: What Do Seasoned Members Think About Brainworx Limiter A

Post by Mono-xID »

well, i don't use limiters on channels or busses as i always try to avoid that my channels/busses are going into the red so there is nothing to do for a limiter. But i saw other guys using this technique.
http://soundcloud.com/monoxid

Behringer = ARTS label of synths

sergiobR1
Wastedddd

Post by sergiobR1 »

what they are trying to say is "YOU CAN USE LIMITERS ON EVERYTHING BECAUSE ITS A COMPRESSOR AND YOU CAN USE IT JUST BECAUSE YOU CAN"

i can't teach you how compressors works, because im a fkng latino and don't have the words, but u can search a lot of good info, here in the forum and on google.

just remember: limiters = compressor
we speak of art with flaming passion
then do work void of compassion
and wonder why reality is bleeding fiction

Lost to the Void
subsekt
subsekt

Post by Lost to the Void »

This is a very technique actually used by a small amount of mix engineers.
I attended an mpg seminar about this back in 2009-ish.
Running channel limiters.
I tried it, I get the theory, and for pop music during the height of the loudness wars it kinda made sense, but with the LUFS standard rolling out worldwide, those days are over.

It's a tricky technique to get right, you really have to be a very good mix engineer and you absolutely have to have a full understanding of dynamics and be able to identify by ear,dynamic changes of less than .5 db.

I wouldn't recommend it at all to be honest.
Mastering Engineer @ Black Monolith Studio
New Shit
Techno is dead. Long live Techno.

qb748t394
fancy woman

Post by qb748t394 »

exactly what i thought... although, its interesting what you said Voidloss... particularly the seminar.

As far as the Lufs... i've seen the term lately; however, i have more basic things to "get right" before i can even worry about different dynamic measuring systems (or whatever it is).

Thanks everyone! : )

Mattias
subsekt
subsekt

Post by Mattias »

If you wanna get rid of peaks, I'd prefer soft and hard clipping instead. All that plus limiting can be nasty business to tame though.
Music Page: http://www.facebook.com/Mattias.Fridell.Music
Soundcloud: http://soundcloud.com/fridell
Sample packs: http://mfsamples.bandcamp.com

Contention / 005

qb748t394
fancy woman

Post by qb748t394 »

no offense to anyone that I do not know yet (or are familiar with) but....

the seasoned members I referred to have made there presence known :lol:

- Sphaereon

-Voidloss

-Mattias

thanks gentlemen

msl
║▌║█║▌│║▌║▌█

Post by msl »

As Voidloss said, its common in pop production, all that nasty loud edm crap is mixed like that. That how you get it so loud, limiters everywhere. Anyway haven't used the BX Limiter but the other plugins I have of there's are top notch.

www.bernadettetrax.bandcamp.com
www.soundcloud.com/michaellovatt

“Once men turned their thinking over to machines in the hope that this would set them free. But that only permitted other men with machines to enslave them.” Dune

qb748t394
fancy woman

Post by qb748t394 »

msl wrote:As Voidloss said, its common in pop production, all that nasty loud edm crap is mixed like that. That how you get it so loud, limiters everywhere. Anyway haven't used the BX Limiter but the other plugins I have of there's are top notch.

how could I forget you mate...