How to get into DJ'ing (cheaply)

General Chat // Music Discussion
Hades
Shit Eater
Re: How to get into DJ'ing (cheaply)

Post by Hades »

mint clad wrote:
Hades wrote:(decks were nowhere to be found in the shithole town I grew up in)
Order online
online ????
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

ahh, the digital natives, they take it all for granted...

dude we are talking about 1993-1994.
a small example : my first synth was a roland JW-50, bought in 94,
and I paid 1500€ for it in used condition, it sucked massively and only had GM sounds, but it had an onboard sequencer, so I was happy,
cause it was all I could find,
cause though officially the internet existed, nobody actually had internet.
my first "online" experience was when I entered univ in the fall of 96.

hell, in my student years almost no one had a cellphone.
we'd be calling each other up from our parents homes in the weekend, saying "ok, I'll meet you in this city at that address on thursday at 7PM"
and then if something went wrong, you'd just be standing there, waiting...
and eventually after 2 hours of waiting, you'd be hoping to catch the last train back home, or you'd be sleeping in the train station...
Sin cambios no hay mariposa

SFBM
&roid

Post by SFBM »

How much the xone k2 where most of you guys are? It's 340 in aus or so, but managed to get mine for 230 I think, and for entry level djing on a digital level, I'd say it's perfect for traktor (and definitely ableton, but I'd hedge my bet that someone learning mixing would want to learn beat matching), given you take a day or so to learn how to map a controller in ableton , it would do pretty much everything you need, except it lacks jog wheels and a dedicated pitch fader I guess, so depending on style , it may not suit some people.

Some of the pioneer dj controllers I've seen are pretty cheap and good for entry level too, that said.

Traditional setup wise, don't see why you wouldn't seek out a djm400 or xone 2ch mixer (or 4 channel models if you have the dough for it) and some cdjs or decks off ebay (cdj400s, Stanton st series decks)

Mslwte
subsekt
subsekt

Post by Mslwte »

Hades wrote:ow man, my current status, hahahahahaha
<<
that's gotta be a classic ! :lol:

thank you ICN, ya cunt !
Lol!!
https://soundcloud.com/mslwte
https://noizefacilityrecords.bandcamp.com
https://www.instagram.com/subsekt909
https://www.facebook.com/subsekt909/
Lost to the Void wrote:Fuck off, get some tequila down ya neck and make some noise you cunt....

mint clad
quasi-public

Post by mint clad »

Hades wrote:
mint clad wrote:
Hades wrote:(decks were nowhere to be found in the shithole town I grew up in)
Order online
online ????

and I paid 1500€ for it in used condition, it sucked massively and only had GM sounds, but it had an onboard sequencer, so I was happy,

we'd be calling each other up from our parents homes in the weekend, saying "ok, I'll meet you in this city at that address on thursday at 7PM"
and eventually after 2 hours of waiting, you'd be hoping to catch the last train back home, or you'd be sleeping in the train station...
Haha a two word joke post provoked half a novel from Hades, I should've expected nothing less. At least I got something fresh to masturbate to

Thumper
decent

Post by Thumper »

SFBM wrote:How much the xone k2 where most of you guys are? It's 340 in aus or so, but managed to get mine for 230 I think, and for entry level djing on a digital level, I'd say it's perfect for traktor (and definitely ableton, but I'd hedge my bet that someone learning mixing would want to learn beat matching), given you take a day or so to learn how to map a controller in ableton , it would do pretty much everything you need, except it lacks jog wheels and a dedicated pitch fader I guess, so depending on style , it may not suit some people.

Some of the pioneer dj controllers I've seen are pretty cheap and good for entry level too, that said.

Traditional setup wise, don't see why you wouldn't seek out a djm400 or xone 2ch mixer (or 4 channel models if you have the dough for it) and some cdjs or decks off ebay (cdj400s, Stanton st series decks)
I got a K2 from Juno last year for about £100. Noticed prices seem to have gone up a bit since then. Have you anything mapped to pitch? I've messed around but haven't been able to get anything set up properly for that one function.

SFBM
&roid

Post by SFBM »

I haven't mapped anything to pitch yet, but I've been beatgridding + syncing more than using the pitch faders, I usually just setup a tempo/phase nudge button instead, so if my track is unmatched (and don't have time to regrid it) I'll set a 4/8 bar loop going, and beatmatch it by nudging the phase left or right as it loops. I'm sure you could setup a fader to work for the pitch though, the only thing is it may be a bit tricky as you have a 0-127 value instead of a +/- 8/16/etc where 0 is taken from middle value. I'm pretty sure there would be a way to set it up though, DJ tech tools would probably have something on it.

Hades
Shit Eater

Post by Hades »

mint clad wrote:
Hades wrote:
mint clad wrote: Order online
online ????

Haha a two word joke post provoked half a novel from Hades, I should've expected nothing less. At least I got something fresh to masturbate to
gotta give folks something to masturbate to. 8-)
Sin cambios no hay mariposa

Mslwte
subsekt
subsekt

Post by Mslwte »

Pro 150 decks and a made2fade mixer lol.

Seriously, I know they are expensive but it really is worth getting a good pair of technics straight away. But if you don't get technics at least get some sort of direct drive. You wil be wasting time and money buying belt drive.

I think stanton direct drive decks were half decent.
https://soundcloud.com/mslwte
https://noizefacilityrecords.bandcamp.com
https://www.instagram.com/subsekt909
https://www.facebook.com/subsekt909/
Lost to the Void wrote:Fuck off, get some tequila down ya neck and make some noise you cunt....

surface
Balance

Post by surface »

Mslwte wrote:...it really is worth getting a good pair of technics straight away. But if you don't get technics at least get some sort of direct drive. You wil be wasting time and money buying belt drive.
Have to agree. I did the belt drive to direct drive thing and there's a world of difference between them. You could perfect your mixing on beltdrives, but the switch will be like starting again for a while.

Besides, how many times are you gonna find belt drives in a club?!! ..

surface
Balance

Post by surface »

Hang on a second...why would anyone go down the vinyl route these days?! ..

Hepta
I Love YOU!!!

Post by Hepta »

I'd say start early because in that way, you don't have to pay for equipment. :D

youtu.be/FSBg_KhuY5o

Hepta
I Love YOU!!!

Post by Hepta »

Hey guys. Could anyone give some tips on how to create a nice simple layout (2 decks) in Ableton? I just got my midi-controller (Ds1 - Christmas is early here) and want to start jamming with some tracks I got from Juno. I just wanna try to create some simple sets for practicing. Which I could perhaps benefit from when i'm making my own tracks as well, arrangement etc.

calum666
No Avatar = Thick Bastard

Post by calum666 »

Hi Hepta just start with 2 audio tracks, bang a eq 3 on each channel and and auto filter if you like. You will need to map it so when the knob is centred the auto filter is off and when it moves left you get a low pass and when turned right you get a high pass. Make sure you have the each channel assigned to the crossfader this will be a/b at the bottom. and just map all your controls from there. then you can set up some delays, reverbs ect in return channels. anything is possible in ableton, build your own custom setup. :D
Hepta wrote:Hey guys. Could anyone give some tips on how to create a nice simple layout (2 decks) in Ableton? I just got my midi-controller (Ds1 - Christmas is early here) and want to start jamming with some tracks I got from Juno. I just wanna try to create some simple sets for practicing. Which I could perhaps benefit from when i'm making my own tracks as well, arrangement etc.

Hepta
I Love YOU!!!

Post by Hepta »

Exactly what I need. Thanks bro!

Is there anything that you would need on the master channel? Perhaps a limiter? Tiny compression? Or will that just fuck things up?

calum666

Post by calum666 »

You could stick a limiter on master if u like just to stay safe. I would map my channel faders so the peak at -6db and pull the master down a little. I wouldn't bother a compressor though.
Hepta wrote:Exactly what I need. Thanks bro!

Is there anything that you would need on the master channel? Perhaps a limiter? Tiny compression? Or will that just fuck things up?

Hepta
I Love YOU!!!

Post by Hepta »

Ok thanks :)

calum666

Post by calum666 »

Not a problem mate

Alert
brown envelope