Recommended Sample Packs

Electronic Music Production // Dark Arts
truetaurus
Interact. Don't Spam.
Recommended Sample Packs

Post by truetaurus »

Would someone be able to recommend a sample pack that they find themselves constantly using sounds from? I really can't find one that I am happy with. So if anyone has some recommendations with a complete assortment of sounds from toms to percs and kicks to atmospheres.

Resin
Pig
Re: Recommended Sample Packs

Post by Resin »

Check out the sample pack by Mattias (forum member). I like it a lot, especially because the sounds aren't overprocessed and leave enough room to sculpt them to your own taste. I also purchased Wave Alchemy's Drum Tools, and even though the samples themselves are good, they just don't leave enough room to fool arround with them... that said, there is also a section with single rumble, sub, and transient sounds in the same pack, which is really handy. Also the (free I guess) tape 808 and 909 packs by them are my favourite of all roland sample packs... I even prefer them to the goldbaby ones, but you should check out goldbaby though... great samples.

serial
rescued

Post by serial »

search for packs called Modify by brendon moeller
also Project Techno & Bluezone Corporation ;)

but my recomendation for you is to learn to make your own samples even if they sucks at first ^^ it's easier to progress & future modulate them in a track...

oddmyth
Anba

Post by oddmyth »

wavealchemy drums are some of my favourites over the last while, I don't use store bought samples for much else.
Cue 3 2013 - Devil's Advocate.

See what this is all about at oddmyth.ca

BandoftheHand
rescued

Post by BandoftheHand »

Paraphrased from words of the illustrious AudioConsult

"Sample packs make you a lamer."

Mslwte
subsekt
subsekt

Post by Mslwte »

Anyone got suggestions for loop packs? Something fairly recent..
https://soundcloud.com/mslwte
https://noizefacilityrecords.bandcamp.com
https://www.instagram.com/subsekt909
https://www.facebook.com/subsekt909/
Lost to the Void wrote:Fuck off, get some tequila down ya neck and make some noise you cunt....

Alume
Confetti

Post by Alume »

I only use mattiases pack, a free 808 pack for an occasional kick and dmesc pack for percussions.

I recommend to keep your amount of packs limited.

Planar
subsekt
subsekt

Post by Planar »

+1 for the wave alchemy drum tools, I also like their synth drums pack but I don't use it as much. The Mattias packs are also essential, even just as a way of saying thanks for all the great advice you get on Subsekt :D

For bread and butter sounds I think those pretty much have you covered. Learning to synthesise drums, practicing layering and buying a field recorder should sort you out for drums in 90% of techno.

Alume
Confetti

Post by Alume »

serial wrote:search for packs called Modify by brendon moeller
also Project Techno & Bluezone Corporation ;)

but my recomendation for you is to learn to make your own samples even if they sucks at first ^^ it's easier to progress & future modulate them in a track...
Does anyone have the Brendon Moeller pack? is it free?

cant google right now.

msl
║▌║█║▌│║▌║▌█

Post by msl »

Mattias Fridell's Electronic Embryo pack and Wave Alchemy Synth Drums get a lot of use. Plus grab all the free stuff from Goldbaby and Wave Alchemy.

For atmospheres and fx just roll your own man, its easy. +1 on the field recorder, kinda essential for techno.

www.bernadettetrax.bandcamp.com
www.soundcloud.com/michaellovatt

“Once men turned their thinking over to machines in the hope that this would set them free. But that only permitted other men with machines to enslave them.” Dune

PixelKind
who is it?

Post by PixelKind »

Waves Alchemy Synth Drums for drum sounds. It's great cuz it got the unprocessed samples in there too. Also Driven Machine Drums has some free packs that are not bad.

A field recorder (or maybe just a mic for my phone) are very high on my wishlist as well :)

serial
rescued

Post by serial »

Alume wrote:
Does anyone have the Brendon Moeller pack? is it free?

cant google right now.
they are not free
http://www.soundstosample.com/producer/Modify/265

qb748t394
fancy woman

Post by qb748t394 »

aside from making your own samples, I'd say, any good samplepacks are already out there... in other words, anything that they continue to release daily (even hourly I'd bet) are straight sh!te... :lol:

millions of elec. music "producers" are probably financially raped daily with these "gotta get" samplepacks... sounds that are of course... "expertly sculpted with the ultimate vintage analog processing-chain, and sonically crafted to fit perfectly in the mix..." (because why would anyone be expected to have to mix these sounds themselves). :roll:

and that's my favorite selling point... "sonically crafted to fit perfectly in the mix..." :lol:

oh yeah.. can;t forget that they were also "professionally enhanced to rock the dancefloor." :roll:

oddmyth
Anba

Post by oddmyth »

qb748t394 wrote:aside from making your own samples, I'd say, any good samplepacks are already out there... in other words, anything that they continue to release daily (even hourly I'd bet) are straight sh!te... :lol:
Not even close to true. There are a tonne of great sound designers out there doing some amazing stuff daily. To think that everything in this world worth creating has already been created is one of the great follies of life.

Just take Diego Stocco for example

youtu.be/GoQCjP7doNs

Planar
subsekt
subsekt

Post by Planar »

I fucking love these Diego Stocco videos. I bought his first tutorial video and it's really inspiring. I intend to get his others when I have chance.

This video makes me want to buy a contact mic for my field recorder.

Hades
Shit Eater

Post by Hades »

Diego Stocco rules.
He made some of my favourite sounds (and more importantly sound sources) for Atmosphere and Omnisphere.

But the problem is most people don't know original stuff like Diego Stocco and only know the same kind of sample packs that they are indeed throwing our way all the time.
Qb has a point, it's always the same crap.

But I guess as long as people are buying those crap sample packs, they are going to keep on making them.
Sin cambios no hay mariposa

Hades
Shit Eater

Post by Hades »

Planar wrote:I fucking love these Diego Stocco videos. I bought his first tutorial video and it's really inspiring. I intend to get his others when I have chance.

how many more does the guy have ?
I thought he only had 2 uptill now.
Sin cambios no hay mariposa

Hepta
I Love YOU!!!

Post by Hepta »

Goldbaby is pretty nice!

oddmyth
Anba

Post by oddmyth »

Hades wrote:
Planar wrote:I fucking love these Diego Stocco videos. I bought his first tutorial video and it's really inspiring. I intend to get his others when I have chance.

how many more does the guy have ?
I thought he only had 2 uptill now.
Check his vimeo channel

https://vimeo.com/diegostocco/videos

and his blog

http://www.diegostocco.com/blog/

Planar
subsekt
subsekt

Post by Planar »

Just the 3 videos so far. The first was the rhythmic processing video and the one I had to see, being a fan of his stuff for a while. It's actually a fairly simple process, but it's not obvious either. The other 2 videos are about convolution and miking.