Opinions and motivational feedback

Electronic Music Production // Dark Arts
OHADOHAD
decent
Opinions and motivational feedback

Post by OHADOHAD »

Hi guys..
I know there is a special sub forum for posting tracks and such.. but I would really love your opinions on this sample..
Less than getting a feedback on something, more to understand where i stand in the techno production world (Level wise if you want...).
Ive been holding myself from sending stuff to labels or putting something meaningful out there for the last 2 years..
Been doubting my production and music making even thou i have lots of experience study wise and full on production wise.
I have no more excuses regarding "things to do", my studio is fully operational with all stuff i wanted to get and ready acoustically.. (you probably all been in these moments that you will do anything but music).
So.. would be great understanding somehow where do i stand at this very moment... (I know listening to music or references is a must, but at this point i feel like it's just confuses me).
So yeah.. here's a sample:
No Bass Lines For Me!

Lost to the Void
subsekt
subsekt
Re: Opinions and motivational feedback

Post by Lost to the Void »

I had a listen to a few bits in your soundcloud, and it sounds good for that type of techno. Your balancing is not perfect, your bass has a tendancy to be a little boxy and booming - too much high bass.
And the track you linked is a little dry over all, but there are no major problems, the music is fairly minimal so you don`t have any major sound clashes.
Mastering Engineer @ Black Monolith Studio
New Shit
Techno is dead. Long live Techno.

OHADOHAD
decent

Post by OHADOHAD »

Thanks for the feedback, really appreciate any comment!
Balancing wise you are probably right, the track was not yet in a real "mixing" position.. It was a simple balance just for the sake of the sample.
Regarding the Bass, you think the issue is just regarding high freq.?
By Dry you mean go a bit crazier using reverb?
Elements wise, would you cut or add? Is the loop is interesting enough to stretch it over 7 min.?

Thanks again!
No Bass Lines For Me!

OHADOHAD
decent

Post by OHADOHAD »

any other thoughts you guys? I see you've been listening ;)
No Bass Lines For Me!

Planar
subsekt
subsekt

Post by Planar »

OHADOHAD wrote:Hi guys..
I know there is a special sub forum for posting tracks and such.. but I would really love your opinions on this sample..
Less than getting a feedback on something, more to understand where i stand in the techno production world (Level wise if you want...).
I'm not the forum police, but there are 2 stickied threads in this forum for this kind of feedback.

OHADOHAD
decent

Post by OHADOHAD »

Planar wrote:
OHADOHAD wrote:Hi guys..
I'm not the forum police, but there are 2 stickied threads in this forum for this kind of feedback.
True.. My bad! sorry for spamming.. :roll:
Kinda tried to create conversation around the subject i mentioned on my post.. but did not catch on...
No Bass Lines For Me!

ross-alexander
endless

Post by ross-alexander »

It sounds solid enough, no harm sending out just depends what your expectations are really in terms of where you see it going.

OHADOHAD
decent

Post by OHADOHAD »

Thanks for the comment!
Well, hopefully getting some stuff signed on decent labels in order for me to get booked to play in clubs :) Isn't that what everybody wants at the end? interaction with crowd, fame and glory :)
No Bass Lines For Me!

ross-alexander
endless

Post by ross-alexander »

Maybe you are saying that tongue in cheek I don't know. Good enough to get on a decent ish label, make some contacts and keep nibbling away at it maybe, fire em out. They don't have quite enough to propel you into the limelight yet.

OHADOHAD
decent

Post by OHADOHAD »

Thanks Ross!
I was kidding bout the fame and glory, but do looking for the recognition and crowd interaction.
What do you think is missing in order to bring them to the next stage?
No Bass Lines For Me!

Barfunkel
Smalahove

Post by Barfunkel »

I don't think this one is ready for sending out to labels yet.

Didn't like the kick or the hihats much. Didn't have any stand out moments (could be anything really, great melody/chords/rhythm, energy, emotion, depth) and the song didn't really "gel", by which I mean the sounds didn't really form a coherent whole.

I'd move on to the next project, there's not much point in fine tuning tracks that don't contain great ideas.
"I don't shower every day, but when I do, I do it after listening to some Barfunkel" - Anonymous

http://soundcloud.com/user4904810
http://www.mixcloud.com/Barfunkel/

Twilitez
You only live once

Post by Twilitez »

Ive got about 100 of those, but i sample them now and then. That said, ive heard far worse released on fairly big labels. Connections and luck come before talent and inspiration all too often, but dont let me foul your thread with a potentially long and tiresome discussion.
When you feel its the right time to give it a shot, it probably is.

I just realized this might come off as a very dickish post, its not meant to be. Im very jaded, sometimes depressed, rarely enthusiastic and often critical to the point of pointlessness.
Which hurts me as well since im not very good at making music and should celebrate everything i do thats markedly above mediocre, but when it happens, i dont.

OHADOHAD
decent

Post by OHADOHAD »

No worries! Reality is important, I'm not producing music since yesterday, just was not doing lots of Techno related music.
Only in the last year or so i've found my sweet spot with Techno, music I like to listen to and to produce (or attempt to anyway...).
I actually own the same opinion as you unfortunately... It is not always about how talented you are, but I do think it could matter to some point.

I never go back to things I'm not finishing on the spot.. (unless it's for mixing and such), I tend to lose interest or like you have mentioned, nothing really got me there (which probably why i didn't finish it on the same day).

Barfunkel, if you are still following this thread, would be great hearing your opinion on this:
https://soundcloud.com/ohadohad/ohad-you-know-it
No Bass Lines For Me!

Planar
subsekt
subsekt

Post by Planar »

Ok, I listened to this. I agree with Barfunkel, the kick is weak and the hats aren't great. My personal preference is that it just sounds like a loop stretched out with no attention to details, no spot FX and nothing that really conveys to me that some effort was put in. I know lots of people like stuff like that, so don't take that particular critism to heart. Overall if I ran a label I wouldn't sign it.

Now, can you calm down a bit with asking for feedback on your stuff and join in with the more generalised discussion about production?

ross-alexander
endless

Post by ross-alexander »

I will listen again, but it has been covered pretty well with what needs sorting out. I wouldn't sign that but I certainly would have responded if it had been sent. Mix wise you do need to look at the mentioned stuff, but I think it's very easy to get bogged down in sonic details before actually pushing yourself in terms of ideas. Ideas are what makes a track good, if you have that down you can learn the rest easier, there will always be advice available. How much music are you writing?

Also as has been mentioned connections are important, I don't think anything ever comes down to luck really. Get yourself out there and meet people at events in the real world, write shit loads of music and make your own sounds. In an ideal world you need to be putting a spin on things that nobody else is / can.

Having said all that I have heard worse stuff released, but that should never be a benchmark for anything if you ask me :)

OHADOHAD
decent

Post by OHADOHAD »

How do you create connections at this day and age when everything is online and when you try to speak to a DJ/Producer they instantly thinks you want something from them and are backing off?
I mean, i'm 31, for the last 6 years i have been living all over Europe (originally from israel) and me (and my girlfriend) thinks it just came to a point that it's so hard to make new connections..
Sounds like I'm whipping but it is true.. I have loads of friends, but none of them relates in any way to this field... So, how would you approach someone you just trying to connect with because you think he/she he's cool and you like their music?
No Bass Lines For Me!

OHADOHAD
decent

Post by OHADOHAD »

Maybe I should blame my girlfriend... Since I met her, I don't have the urge to speak to other people haha... :)
No Bass Lines For Me!

breakz
Onions

Post by breakz »

OHADOHAD wrote:How do you create connections at this day and age when everything is online and when you try to speak to a DJ/Producer they instantly thinks you want something from them and are backing off?
I mean, i'm 31, for the last 6 years i have been living all over Europe (originally from israel) and me (and my girlfriend) thinks it just came to a point that it's so hard to make new connections..
Sounds like I'm whipping but it is true.. I have loads of friends, but none of them relates in any way to this field... So, how would you approach someone you just trying to connect with because you think he/she he's cool and you like their music?
Just make music,quality music,more music,quality music,more music and again quality music,if what's coming out of your speakers is not quality don't be dissapointed just do more and more,if you have it(the talent) then one day it will come out from your speakers and you will realize it instantly that this is quality and from there start sending demos and again if your demo is rejected by a couple of labels then do more music,quality music and more music and send demos again to the same people and new people and when you get signed then you will start making your first connections.

Its all about YOU !!!!! not about the others,don't expect anyone to come to YOU !! no one will do.

its tough, I know.

OHADOHAD
decent

Post by OHADOHAD »

breakz wrote:
OHADOHAD wrote:How do you create connections at this day and age when everything is online and when you try to speak to a DJ/Producer they instantly thinks you want something from them and are backing off?
Just make music,quality music,more music,quality music,more music and again quality music,if what's coming out of your speakers is not quality don't be dissapointed just do more and more,if you have it(the talent) then one day it will come out from your speakers and you will realize it instantly that this is quality and from there start sending demos and again if your demo is rejected by a couple of labels then do more music,quality music and more music and send demos again to the same people and new people and when you get signed then you will start making your first connections.

Its all about YOU !!!!! not about the others,don't expect anyone to come to YOU !! no one will do.

its tough, I know.
Thanks! Never waited for someone to come.. so that's nothing new for me.. I always believed that if you put your effort into something than there's no need to count on somebody else, it's all up to you and what you do with it.
But if you read thru this thread, you can see that there are mixed feelings about what you have stated.
No Bass Lines For Me!

breakz
Onions

Post by breakz »

OHADOHAD wrote:
breakz wrote:

its tough, I know.
Thanks! Never waited for someone to come.. so that's nothing new for me.. I always believed that if you put your effort into something than there's no need to count on somebody else, it's all up to you and what you do with it.
But if you read thru this thread, you can see that there are mixed feelings about what you have stated.
I speak from my experience and that was just how it worked for me,I am in the bussiness since 1999.

You do something good,people will follow(sooner or later),you can not escape from this one !