Music digging

General Chat // Music Discussion

Hades
Shit Eater
Re: Music digging

Post by Hades »

bastos wrote:Guys, could you recommend me some quality podcasts?
just take any producer you like and do a google on "x (=name producer) podcast"
really, after all these years of listening to podcasts, I have found that it's usually the producer/DJ that made the podcast who gives a certain quality to the material,
it's seldomly the website where the podcasts comes from...

Just having a look at what's currently on my iPod...

I would personally highly recommend Bran Lanen.
He's a guy I know from over here at subsekt, and a really good DJ.
He has a preference for older, faster techno (more 90's style) where it's a lot more about the groove than most of the techno that's being produced nowadays.
His podcasts are perfect for doing sports or stupid work on, cause they give you lots of energy.

You can find his podcasts on his blog, just use the google translate function.
It's a bad translation, but you understand enough.
And after all, you just need to download the music.

http://branlanen.blogspot.be/

There's also the excellent pounding grooves subsekt mix by Neil Birnie.

https://soundcloud.com/subsekt/nel-birn ... ng-grooves

a few others...

check out his podcasts :

https://soundcloud.com/arnaudletexier

for some superb deeper podcasts, there's always cio d'or
(also do a google on her, there's barely anything on her soundcloud) :

https://soundcloud.com/cio-d-or

and there's this fabulous DJ set from Donato Dozzy at Labyrinth.
You can listen to it here (but there's no download, do some googling)

https://soundcloud.com/paul-wuerdig/set ... rinth-2008

another one for deeper stuff

http://alan-backdrop.tumblr.com/mix-and-podcast

now all of that should keep you busy for the next few weeks alone...
Sin cambios no hay mariposa

Thumper
decent

Post by Thumper »

Mslwte wrote:I think a lot of you would like the record shop that is in my home town http://www.vinylunderground.co.uk it's been going for 20 years and stocks and lot of dub, Detroit techno, new and reissues etc.

Great shop. I buy from them a lot. Ive got an order to place with the tonight actually. Aide is a great guy too, even phoned a few times when there's been stuff that needed checking. I'm using them more and more. I probably buy from Redeye more than anyone else, but I think about two thirds of my orders have been screwy this year when sent out. Not sure what the problem is.

Those two plus Rubadub and Juno for vinyl. Boomkat and Bandcamp for digi and that's my regular circuit.

Thumper
decent

Post by Thumper »

Forgot to add, VU also have some great stuff on their Discogs page. One day I will make it down there.

bastos
broke

Post by bastos »

Thanks ppl.

Milanello1
Interact. Don't Spam.

Post by Milanello1 »

don't underestimate the power of youtube channels also. There's lots of quality techno channels that are being updated fairly often. I can recommend some I'm subbed to if anyone is interested :)

Monreal
You only live once

Post by Monreal »

I've been digging out this mix lately

seanocean
Jan : )

Post by seanocean »

i do a lot of RSS, personally. if there's a label i like, i put their website on an aggregator like feedly.. or take note of what's happening on the discogs new releases page. i also pay attention to what my favorite artists are doing via fb, take some time to poke through their posted tracks. if i like it, i wishlist it via bookmarks in chrome. listen to a lot of podcasts off mixcloud since good podcasts tend to post tracklists. sometimes i go through a label's catalog and pick out a developing artist, look at their releases and aliases, then i'll see where they've progressed to or if i can guess where they're going. i also like to look at collaborations and the new people that labels are into.. 'huh never heard that person before, let's check it out.'

while a lot of this tends to lead to only 25%-15% good results. you 'll build up a better filter for what's really really good over time... -you'll know who's producing solid tracks, or who's changing their tastes etc.

also there's myriads of little unsaid stories on releases and discographies. oh, why did that guy get dropped from that label, he was so good..!? so and so is touring too much and their tracks are slipping and becoming formulaic. or sometimes it's like: guy gets signed to a respected label, then suddenly the label head is djing all over with that new sound, then that sound tends to influence other heads. i love that aspect of digging (or maybe in my case, trainspotting?). it keeps me mad about it..
| / / < < > > \ \ | | / / < < > > \ \ | | / / < < > > \ \ | | / / < < > > \ \ | | / / < < > > \ \ | | / / < < > > \ \ |

seanocean
Jan : )

Post by seanocean »

Milanello1 wrote:don't underestimate the power of youtube channels also. There's lots of quality techno channels that are being updated fairly often. I can recommend some I'm subbed to if anyone is interested :)
this is a very good point. there's people posting really good stuff quite often. i am really into this one channel by droidlife
https://www.youtube.com/user/DroidLife
superb taste in electro.
| / / < < > > \ \ | | / / < < > > \ \ | | / / < < > > \ \ | | / / < < > > \ \ | | / / < < > > \ \ | | / / < < > > \ \ |

Hades
Shit Eater

Post by Hades »

seanocean wrote:
Milanello1 wrote:don't underestimate the power of youtube channels also. There's lots of quality techno channels that are being updated fairly often. I can recommend some I'm subbed to if anyone is interested :)
this is a very good point. there's people posting really good stuff quite often. i am really into this one channel by droidlife
https://www.youtube.com/user/DroidLife
superb taste in electro.
I'm trying to stay clear from that.
It would eat away even more time than I already lose every week with the music digging.
I work with podcasts, and sometimes I will check out labels,
but usually just podcasts and then discogs.
I go through the back catalogue from so many artists on discogs.
It takes a lot of time, but it's totally worth it, definitely if people have been making tracks for a longer time, like 10 or even 20 years.

And there's 3 or 4 people on discogs that I know have an excellent taste and write perfect reviews.
Whenever they refer to other stuff in those reviews, I will check that out as well.
But I gotta limit my time.
I've gotten so many records the last 4 years that I barely had time to listen to.
It gets absurd.
You can't have it all.

I have the same thing with watching films.
I've had a tempo of watching approx 20 films a month for almost 10 years.
I've had to slow it down cause I didn't have enough time any more.
I still watch a lot, but you forget so much after a while.
It's only the really superb ones that you'll remember, or the really bizar ones.
But there are so many other ones that were great, and yet you forget so much about them only 1 or 2 years later.
I once started making a list with personal notes from each film I had seen.
I stopped doing it cause it was taking up too much time.
I came across it last week, and I noticed 70% of the films I barely remembered anything from, even though they were great films.
I find that thought very depressing since I am a big reader, film watcher, music listener,...
It makes you wonder why you put so much time into it if you forget so much.

Planar
subsekt
subsekt

Post by Planar »

bastos wrote:Where do you find new music?

Sorry for the slightly philosophical answer. And a dj oriented one at that.

But.

I honestly believe this is where the passion for your art comes in. You need to become obsessive. Research every link, follow every blind alley. Look for techno in genres that aren't techno. Find your own way. If you follow the same routes as everyone else, you'll end up with the same musical 'finds' as everyone else.

Learn your genre, the who's who and who's not. The labels. The influences. Then explore, and move out of those genres. There are great techno tracks on DnB albums or on house albums. Find them, use them and broaden your horizons. Most of all, try not to be taken in by trends. This is hard, but it's worth it I the long term.

Crate digging is easier than it's ever been. No more sitting in a dusty record shop for hours, it's all online.

Hades
Shit Eater

Post by Hades »

Planar wrote:
bastos wrote:Where do you find new music?

Sorry for the slightly philosophical answer. And a dj oriented one at that.

But.

I honestly believe this is where the passion for your art comes in. You need to become obsessive. Research every link, follow every blind alley. Look for techno in genres that aren't techno. Find your own way. If you follow the same routes as everyone else, you'll end up with the same musical 'finds' as everyone else.

Learn your genre, the who's who and who's not. The labels. The influences. Then explore, and move out of those genres. There are great techno tracks on DnB albums or on house albums. Find them, use them and broaden your horizons. Most of all, try not to be taken in by trends. This is hard, but it's worth it I the long term.

Crate digging is easier than it's ever been. No more sitting in a dusty record shop for hours, it's all online.
^^ that there is some quality advice.

you need to get obsessive about music and soon enough you'll never ask about good music any more cause you'll be finding so much good music yourself that your discogs wantlist is only growing, no matter how many records you buy each year.
Same for your "artists to check out list"...

Twilitez
You only live once

Post by Twilitez »

Well i do hope to get to that point some day. Right now i have one site im sticking to for most of my music, and even with its limited catalog (juno, traxsource, beatport all have much more, but i dont like their featuresets), and even then it can take me hours just to line up 10-15 tracks that i feel are worth spending money on. Almost nothing has that x-factor im looking for, which is hard to explain to other people most of the time. I havent found any artist or label that i can get into more then sporadically, sure theres a couple that stick out but thats about all there is to it.

And yes planar, you are totally right its easier now then ever, but as we say over here often i also 'cant see the forest for the trees'. Also its obviously no punishment to be on the hunt, but sometimes i just wonder.. when i actually WANT to spend money, how can it be this hard? :D
I probably just need to get a little more organized though.

Twilitez
You only live once

Post by Twilitez »

And look at the new tag i just got slapped with, oh the irony.