Stereo Imaging & Stereo Enhancement Tools

Electronic Music Production // Dark Arts
oddmyth
Anba
Re: Stereo Imaging & Stereo Enhancement Tools

Post by oddmyth »

Same concept as Steve, double track, but instead of recording two disparate passes out of the synth (which for 4 minute long passes might be more difficult to shape), just record a single pass, pan the original left and take the copy panned right and start effecting it in Ableton (phase, ring, freq shift, chorus, reverb, EQ).

This will give you a bit more control over the evolution of the pad sound (if you want that).

You could then bounce the combined audio down into a stereo track and do M/S processing from there, or simply use all three distinct channels and mix them down independently.

This is how I form most of my pad sounds these days, constantly bouncing and layering until I achieve what I desire.
Cue 3 2013 - Devil's Advocate.

See what this is all about at oddmyth.ca

Hades
Shit Eater

Post by Hades »

msl wrote:
Lost to the Void wrote:Record the synth twice, if it is analog then the non linearities will make for a nice stereo image when grouped and panned.

This is really the best method if your recording hardware, same for vocals you record multiple takes and pan them around.

This is why I got half normalized patchbays, so I can double up mono signals immediately and run them through my mixer. That way I can already start using my mixers EQ on them even before I record into Live (if I wish to do so).
Sin cambios no hay mariposa

Planar
subsekt
subsekt

Post by Planar »

LuigiTozzii wrote:great Void, I'll check them right now!

edit: Ok the one from Matthew Lane is incredible!!
There's Dualism as well, I don't know how it ranks as it's a bit rich for my tastes, but DMG have a good reputation.

http://dmgaudio.com/products_dualism.php

GLinet
Little chief

Post by GLinet »

Lost to the Void wrote: To do it complete clean and mono compatible, you need to go Mathew Lane DrMS or Nugen Stereoizer.
Both able to widen even a mono image, and yet remain mono compatible. But not cheap.
I second the Nugen tool. I tried a demo last week. I have no idea how it works but it helped me place, widen, and separate elements automatically without touching the pan or eq while actually *improving* my mono check. Some kind of voodoo. If you're like me and have rudimentary mixing skills and have no idea how to use MS technique properly, it might well be worth the price.
Last edited by GLinet on Mon Sep 22, 2014 8:09 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Alume
Confetti

Post by Alume »

Ill check them out.

anyone got tips for visualization your stereo image, something like the izotope insight but then a freebee perhaps?

CRDM
hmmmmmm...

Post by CRDM »

Valhalla ubermod is really nice for stereo effects, i use this if that's what I'm going for with a pad. Can make the pad sit really nicely in the stereo field in different ways.

oddmyth
Anba

Post by oddmyth »

Alume wrote:Ill check them out.

anyone got tips for visualization your stereo image, something like the izotope insight but then a freebee perhaps?
Just my own recommendation/opinion, but honestly using your eyes for this is just wrong, it's better to get your ears to do this work, the more you get accustomed to listening to stereo image the better.

I'm not advocating never using those tools, but just to use your ears first. Once you start paying close attention to the stereo image of a song, you'll find you don't need a visualizer to tell you what's happening.
Cue 3 2013 - Devil's Advocate.

See what this is all about at oddmyth.ca

Mono-xID
Uumfääng

Post by Mono-xID »

True dat, oddmyth. I never use visualization tools for stereo checks. I trust my ears. Albeit they can be handy for experienced, old and grumpy mastering dudes i guess.
http://soundcloud.com/monoxid

Behringer = ARTS label of synths

Alume
Confetti

Post by Alume »

Oke that sounde completely logical.

Ofcourse, my ears:)

Barskiniov
skaghead

Post by Barskiniov »

What Mono said about stereo tools and pads is for me the only way to tame those ungrateful elements in a mix. I turn down the mids with the voxengo msed plug in order to have more space in the commonly muddy area around 250-500kHz. Sometimes a light stereo spread on the whole mix can work wonders, but what I did recently is to keep everything under 300kHz mono to keep the low end tight. Even my kick and bass are mono anyhow, it could be that I forgot some reverbs, delays....On some hats I apply the Haas effect with a stereo delay but I noticed it can take drive away if used on every hat... So that´s my little wisdom about stereo, and now I test the nugen stuff, thanks for the tip :)

serial
rescued

Post by serial »

just to mention UpStereo Pro & Flux Stereo tool ^^
tutorial worth of checking is from: MacProVideo - Greg Townley - Sonic Dimension in Mixing

msl
║▌║█║▌│║▌║▌█

Post by msl »

serial wrote:just to mention UpStereo Pro

I used the original UpStereo years ago, but stopped because it was messing with the tone, something was going on where it altered the sound too much in the low end/mids. I take it the Pro version still has this?
www.bernadettetrax.bandcamp.com
www.soundcloud.com/michaellovatt

“Once men turned their thinking over to machines in the hope that this would set them free. But that only permitted other men with machines to enslave them.” Dune

Alume
Confetti

Post by Alume »

Wanted to try mathew lanes plug. But this Ilok thing is fucking up my day. is there a way to get around it?

Wiu
Slowy J

Post by Wiu »

Alume wrote:Wanted to try mathew lanes plug. But this Ilok thing is fucking up my day. is there a way to get around it?
I will never EVER EVER EVER EVER purchase any software that uses iLok. You hear a few horror stories and kind of shrug it off. When you hear more you try to avoid it. When you hear of people having to download cracked versions of the software they already own alarms start to sound! And does it honestly help their plugins not getting cracked?

Sorry. This post was of no help to you whatsoever, but much like Native Instruments, whenever iLok is mentioned, I like to dish out some hate! :twisted:
Thank you for the laughs, debate, new music found, production tips etc etc over the years. I wish Subsekt and everyone all the best for the future. Wiu.

Mattias
subsekt
subsekt

Post by Mattias »

In case no one mentioned this yet; these kinds of tools is often used wrong and they can be highly destructive and mess with phase in a terrible way! Use with caution.
Music Page: http://www.facebook.com/Mattias.Fridell.Music
Soundcloud: http://soundcloud.com/fridell
Sample packs: http://mfsamples.bandcamp.com

Contention / 005

Lost to the Void
subsekt
subsekt

Post by Lost to the Void »

All the ones I have posted are mono compatable, so phase isn't too much of an issue.
Mastering Engineer @ Black Monolith Studio
New Shit
Techno is dead. Long live Techno.

Hades
Shit Eater

Post by Hades »

Wiu wrote:
Alume wrote:Wanted to try mathew lanes plug. But this Ilok thing is fucking up my day. is there a way to get around it?
I will never EVER EVER EVER EVER purchase any software that uses iLok. You hear a few horror stories and kind of shrug it off. When you hear more you try to avoid it. When you hear of people having to download cracked versions of the software they already own alarms start to sound! And does it honestly help their plugins not getting cracked?

Sorry. This post was of no help to you whatsoever, but much like Native Instruments, whenever iLok is mentioned, I like to dish out some hate! :twisted:
I got an ilok last week just to be able to get the soundtoys plugins.
all in all I was surprised how easy it all went.
Yes, we're 2014 and I find the system damn right stupid, but the software was well worth it.

Hades
Shit Eater

Post by Hades »

NI gave/gives me a lot more headaches... :D

Planar
subsekt
subsekt

Post by Planar »

Wiu wrote:

I'm with you here. Physical dongles for software are a minefield of issues, I've heard bad things about replacing broken ones. I don't know if their e-licensing system is better, but I know lots of people do avoid it regardless. I wonder if the lost sales offsets the loss from piracy.

Lost to the Void
subsekt
subsekt

Post by Lost to the Void »

Hades wrote:
Wiu wrote:

I got an ilok last week just to be able to get the soundtoys plugins.
all in all I was surprised how easy it all went.
Yes, we're 2014 and I find the system damn right stupid, but the software was well worth it.
Soundtoys is the reason I have ilock, but I bought the plugs and then Got the cracks.
I just don't want an ilock in my system.
The irony is that I now buy ilock software but use the cracks.

When so many great Indy devs make their software affordable and hassle free installations, I don't see why Ilock still exists.
Mastering Engineer @ Black Monolith Studio
New Shit
Techno is dead. Long live Techno.