Monitors where to put them?

General Chat // Music Discussion
mainst09
Traits
Monitors where to put them?

Post by mainst09 »

Guys just a little question where should i put my monitors.

I moved to lisbon to study this year and since i'm not rich,really far from that i had to rent a really cheap room a very little room. and i have almost no space for anything but i found space for my speakers.

I have them on a little secretary together with my computer,and the speakers/monitors are on the top of them boxes wich means they are on the top of each box they came on and the boxes are on the secretary and my question is where is the best place to put my monitors where they will fuck up less my ears? i let them stay on top of the boxes or i put the monitors right on top of the secretary?

i hope you guys can help me. :)
Voices From Cindy's Cunt

PixelKind
who is it?
Re: Monitors where to put them?

Post by PixelKind »

Could you post a pic? That would make it easier to see what you mean

mainst09
Traits

Post by mainst09 »

Voices From Cindy's Cunt

Alume
Confetti

Post by Alume »

Maybe get some monpads to point them upwards, the cheap ones(without brand, but same foam) are around 20 euro's I think.

This but then other way around:

PixelKind
who is it?

Post by PixelKind »

or try to get boxes with the right height so the tweeters are at the same level as your ears when you sit at the computer

mainst09
Traits

Post by mainst09 »

Alume wrote:Maybe get some monpads to point them upwards, the cheap ones(without brand, but same foam) are around 20 euro's I think.

This but then other way around:

ok yeah that sounds good,i'll check it out. but for now what you think?
Voices From Cindy's Cunt

Alume
Confetti

Post by Alume »

For now, you could do what Pixelkind said.

Your boxes could resonate though, making noise which could be annoying during sessions.

And it will affect the sound of the speakers as wel. I dont know the details, I'm to inexperienced for that.
Last edited by Alume on Thu Sep 25, 2014 11:09 am, edited 1 time in total.

PixelKind
who is it?

Post by PixelKind »

it looks like they are too high now. usually you should place the monitors so that the tweeter is at the same height as your ears

mainst09
Traits

Post by mainst09 »

well i will take them from the top of the boxes then since i can't ruin the boxes haha
Voices From Cindy's Cunt

Mslwte
subsekt
subsekt

Post by Mslwte »

is having them on boxes a good idea?
https://soundcloud.com/mslwte
https://noizefacilityrecords.bandcamp.com
https://www.instagram.com/subsekt909
https://www.facebook.com/subsekt909/
Lost to the Void wrote:Fuck off, get some tequila down ya neck and make some noise you cunt....

mainst09
Traits

Post by mainst09 »

Mslwte wrote:is having them on boxes a good idea?

i dunno but is what i can afford haha
Voices From Cindy's Cunt

Críoch
subsekt
subsekt

Post by Críoch »

What monitors are they Pedro? I have some foam pads that I used to use with my yamaha hs50s. If they are the same size as them I'll post them over to you mate.
KennethExack wrote:My kids and I are completely shocked by the specialized secrets that everyone has on this forum
>> Click here for NEW POSTS on subsekt <<

Dialog I The Hole I subsekt Blog I The Bench I IG I SC I Mixes I FB

mainst09
Traits

Post by mainst09 »

ICN wrote:What monitors are they Pedro? I have some foam pads that I used to use with my yamaha hs50s. If they are the same size as them I'll post them over to you mate.

They are Prodipe Pro5v2
Voices From Cindy's Cunt

Críoch
subsekt
subsekt

Post by Críoch »

Yeah man.. These will fit. Send me your address in FB & I'll send them to you next week. I'm working a lot ATM & won't be able to go to the post office until Monday or Tuesday.
KennethExack wrote:My kids and I are completely shocked by the specialized secrets that everyone has on this forum

Críoch
subsekt
subsekt

Post by Críoch »

I'd say they're too high as well. If you can put the boxes on their sides the monitors might be more at ear level. Dunno.. You need to experiment with that.

Just something related that I read recently - reading 'mixing with your mind' - mentioned something called 'the ribbon effect' . The book is full of bizarre terms, but in a nutshell the author speaks about the best way to place your monitors. He does not advocate this triangular positioning where the point of the angled monitors focus on your head. Instead he says that you should be aware of having them too far apart .. So that the stereo image doesn't get fucked up. Author says that without thoughtful positioning, a sonic gap (or length of ribbon that you could place between the monitors) develops between what is truthfully happening & what your ears are hearing. Guess if they're too far apart it creates a false image. Stuff that you pan could benefit from an extra nudge. Makes sense really and something to keep in mind along with the height. Experiment with different positioning / distances etc.. If you can.

Lost to the Void
subsekt
subsekt

Post by Lost to the Void »

Wow, you are in for a lot of problems there.
The boxes will definitely bring in resonance, so you wanna get them off of there. They are better sitting down on the desk angled up.
But also you are in a corner, backing on to glass, with a flat hard surface to the side, so you will get rear reflections, side reflections, false stereo and bass node problems.
I would sell the monitors and get some quality headphones, which will serve you better in that scenario for a year.
Mastering Engineer @ Black Monolith Studio
New Shit
Techno is dead. Long live Techno.

msl
║▌║█║▌│║▌║▌█

Post by msl »

Take them off the boxes asap! And get some foam pads, doesn't have to be expensive they are all just foam.

Yes tweeters should be at ear level, if you need to raise them use something solid, telephone books, bricks, etc. Position them pointing inwards in an equilateral triangle with your head (i.e. same distance between the two speakers as your head).

That bay window is just gonna be one big bass bin :)

www.bernadettetrax.bandcamp.com
www.soundcloud.com/michaellovatt

“Once men turned their thinking over to machines in the hope that this would set them free. But that only permitted other men with machines to enslave them.” Dune

Mslwte
subsekt
subsekt

Post by Mslwte »

You would probably be better off sticking your monitors up your arse for now pedro. The acoustics would certainly improve.
https://soundcloud.com/mslwte
https://noizefacilityrecords.bandcamp.com
https://www.instagram.com/subsekt909
https://www.facebook.com/subsekt909/
Lost to the Void wrote:Fuck off, get some tequila down ya neck and make some noise you cunt....

mainst09
Traits

Post by mainst09 »

Lost to the Void wrote:Wow, you are in for a lot of problems there.
The boxes will definitely bring in resonance, so you wanna get them off of there. They are better sitting down on the desk angled up.
But also you are in a corner, backing on to glass, with a flat hard surface to the side, so you will get rear reflections, side reflections, false stereo and bass node problems.
I would sell the monitors and get some quality headphones, which will serve you better in that scenario for a year.

I can't use headphones,i have tinnitus,headphones fucked up my ears dude. but if you guys want go to my soundcloud and listen to my tracks. all of them were made with this shitty monitors and with shitty conditions so that shit about resonance and stuff never afftected my productions!
Voices From Cindy's Cunt

Lost to the Void
subsekt
subsekt

Post by Lost to the Void »

mainst09 wrote:
Lost to the Void wrote:Wow, you are in for a lot of problems there.

I can't use headphones,i have tinnitus,headphones fucked up my ears dude. but if you guys want go to my soundcloud and listen to my tracks. all of them were made with this shitty monitors and with shitty conditions so that shit about resonance and stuff never afftected my productions!
Oh it has man, there are a lot of problems in your mixes for Master Engineers to sweat over. Very shallow low end, mushy low mids, crowded mids, high end bias.
You wouldn`t have these problems with a good listening environment. Luckily the 90`s style music you are making is quite forgiving as there is not much going on and the tunes are good, but if you try anything more complex and those problems get amplified.
Take a look at that release you did with kucera and mercado. Their 2 mixes are full and open, nice open low end, airy high end, defined mid range, good stereo imaging. Then your track comes in and the mixes have this real restrained frequency range, really cramped and crushed in to the mids, really shallow lows, close top end with no punch. Everything feels squashed in to a box.

All these problems are a product of what you can and can`t hear.

But yeah tinnitus is gonna be a problem, so maybe headphones are out (tinnitus at your age!!!), move the speakers to a better location if you can.
Mastering Engineer @ Black Monolith Studio
New Shit
Techno is dead. Long live Techno.