What speakers to buy (studenthouse)

Electronic Music Production // Dark Arts
Alume
Confetti
What speakers to buy (studenthouse)

Post by Alume »

Hello guys,

I live in an studentapartment with 16 student. We've been using blown up speakers for almost a year now and we thought it might be a good idea to get some new ones.

I know we usually discuss studio monitors on here but I'm sure you guys have some knowlegde on other speaker(brands) aswell. The speakers will be used for chill background music as well as for parties/chillsessions so they need to be able to take a blow. The budget would be around 200 euro's, the speakers should be pretty heavy duty because you never know when a drunk fuck shows up to turn the volume up to max(this was always the way previous speakers die on us). The living room is about 120m2 and we use a normal amp and an aux cable to connect it to the computer.

to sum it all up:
-200 euro's
-heavy dutyish?
-120m2
-normal amp connectivity
-suitable for parties

Hope you guys could help us out:)

mattie
refusenik
Re: What speakers to buy (studenthouse)

Post by mattie »

It could be an idea to replace the woofers tweeters with better spec ones, this would work out cheaper, provided the speaker cabinets are still in good condition
Also a limiter (software?)may prevent drunk DJs pushing the gains too much.

AxeD
durchfall

Post by AxeD »

Wiu
Slowy J

Post by Wiu »

Get on eBay and buy the biggest fuck off pair of Jamo's that are still in decent condition. That's what I'd do anyway.
Thank you for the laughs, debate, new music found, production tips etc etc over the years. I wish Subsekt and everyone all the best for the future. Wiu.

Lost to the Void
subsekt
subsekt

Post by Lost to the Void »

Jamo`s, or carlsbro, look for second hand stage monitors as well.
Mastering Engineer @ Black Monolith Studio
New Shit
Techno is dead. Long live Techno.

AxeD
durchfall

Post by AxeD »

Why Jamo? I heard some models have good price/quality, but certainly not all of them.
Seems like you can get a lot of power for very little money though.

Wiu
Slowy J

Post by Wiu »

Well I recommend Jamo's because I've been using my floorstanding set for nearly 15 years and they're still going strong despite taking a hell of a hammering. Oh and they sound fucking lovely to my ears!
Thank you for the laughs, debate, new music found, production tips etc etc over the years. I wish Subsekt and everyone all the best for the future. Wiu.

AxeD
durchfall

Post by AxeD »

That sounds pretty good indeed. I barely have room for shelf speakers though, so I don't
have any.

Lost to the Void
subsekt
subsekt

Post by Lost to the Void »

Well Jamo are by no means good quality in terms of audio fidelity, but they do the job and are affordable. Good for home parties.

Carslbro are better, they are a british pa company and you will find them for a good price. Robust build etc.

Go to eBay and type stage monitors in the search.

Check these out, £160 used, you could have a rocking party at home with these.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/CARLSBRO-2x12 ... 35db2793a1
Mastering Engineer @ Black Monolith Studio
New Shit
Techno is dead. Long live Techno.

Alume
Confetti

Post by Alume »

Ill have a look guys. Thanks for the support.

Barfunkel
Smalahove

Post by Barfunkel »

At that price point, with the intention for using the for parties, I'd just visit a local 2nd hand hifi store (or browse a local website which sells used gear) and buy the biggest pair of 200€/$/£ speakers you can find, assuming they don't have busted cones or anything like that. You can probably even test them before you buy.

2nd hand speakers are amazing value for money these days, as nobody wants those big ugly bastards anymore.

I
"I don't shower every day, but when I do, I do it after listening to some Barfunkel" - Anonymous

http://soundcloud.com/user4904810
http://www.mixcloud.com/Barfunkel/

Hades
Shit Eater

Post by Hades »

I would get some vintage speakers.

I got 3 pairs of vintage amps + speakers in my house, and they all sound superb, plus didn't cost a lot at all !

I highly recommend the Pioneer HPM60's.
I paid 200 for my pair in great condition. More than enough power and great sound quality.

The HPM100's are even better (bigger woofers, same speakers otherwise), but those are much harder to find and cost a hell of a lot more on the used markets. People know why they buy these...
I love mine in my living room to listen to techno.

At least with those old hi-fi speakers, you get and hi-fi sound and some decent power, and all still very affordable.
Or just try out any pair of old hi-fi speakers in vintage/recycle stores, and that way you won't be paying a lot either, so if you blow them, you can still get another pair easily enough.
Sin cambios no hay mariposa