Re: Real Talk with DVS1 !!!

Post by Contort »

Will read later for sure.

Are you going to see him on the 27th?

Mono-xID
Uumfääng

Post by Mono-xID »

Nope. But i will get my Berghain fix on 4th October. Missy is away for a week. Yayeeeeeeeeeeee !!!!!

You live in Crap City right now?
http://soundcloud.com/monoxid

Behringer = ARTS label of synths

Contort
athlete

Post by Contort »

Yeah I am.

They haven't even released the lineup for that date yet?! Im sure it will be fun regardless though. The ostgut ton night was pretty special.

victer
Pig

Post by victer »

Really interresting read ! I agree with most of the points he makes (eventough I'm in my early 20's). It's true that people who try to capture everything with their smartphones are really annoying, especially with video, I hate those people !

Something bothers me about the 'jeff mills scandal' that he uses as an example. I was there that night at Dour Festival and I can tell you that the crowd (or most of it) was really enjoying the beggining of jeff's set. Then the sound stopped and everybody was wondering what was happening, many people didn't understand that somebody had thrown a bottle at the dj. So yes, at that point people started shouting because of the sudden stop of the music, there was some shouting before but mostly it was cheering and typical festival crowd noise. It can be considered as a disturbance for some but it was in no way aggressive towards Jeff Mills.

Anyway I thought the way he described it wasn't fitting to the reality, he made it feel like it was mostly young people with no appreciation for the performance angrily shouting and throwing bottles at the poor old Jeff. But it really was an isolated incident from a probably drunk person (wich I would have punched in the face if he had been anywhere near me, btw )
facebook.com/bepulsed

Mono-xID
Uumfääng

Post by Mono-xID »

Contort wrote:Yeah I am.

They haven't even released the lineup for that date yet?! Im sure it will be fun regardless though. The ostgut ton night was pretty special.
No, line-up isn't online yet but most of the times there are at least one or two acts worth a visit. If not, you still can get hammered or get laid or what else.

So you fancy for a meeting and a drink somewhere in the first week of october???
http://soundcloud.com/monoxid

Behringer = ARTS label of synths

Contort
athlete

Post by Contort »

Sounds good to me. When I have the money im out at berghain or elsewhere every weekend I can.

Also with regards to the interview, reallly good read. Im looking forward to seeing who else they give the opportunity to speak so much and so freely.

daunzila
arsehole

Post by daunzila »

nice read, thx for that
WTF?!

Hades
Shit Eater

Post by Hades »

victer wrote:Really interresting read ! I agree with most of the points he makes (eventough I'm in my early 20's). It's true that people who try to capture everything with their smartphones are really annoying, especially with video, I hate those people !

Something bothers me about the 'jeff mills scandal' that he uses as an example. I was there that night at Dour Festival and I can tell you that the crowd (or most of it) was really enjoying the beggining of jeff's set. Then the sound stopped and everybody was wondering what was happening, many people didn't understand that somebody had thrown a bottle at the dj. So yes, at that point people started shouting because of the sudden stop of the music, there was some shouting before but mostly it was cheering and typical festival crowd noise. It can be considered as a disturbance for some but it was in no way aggressive towards Jeff Mills.

Anyway I thought the way he described it wasn't fitting to the reality, he made it feel like it was mostly young people with no appreciation for the performance angrily shouting and throwing bottles at the poor old Jeff. But it really was an isolated incident from a probably drunk person (wich I would have punched in the face if he had been anywhere near me, btw )
this right here says it all.
I can say from personal experience that the crowd pretty much never knows what we are going through on any given night, whether it's bad monitors, broken equipment, or a barrage of flashes and cameras in our faces from the moment we take the booth.
Not that I was or ever will be at the same level of Mills or DVS1, I can definitely relate...

When I was 15 I bought my 1st synth (1994), and later on did a few gigs with my crappy equipment (that still costed me all my pocket money for years), for a crowd that usually hated anything that didn't have a guitar in it (grunge high days at the time, even something like The Prodigy was barely being discovered back then where I lived).
I once played at a local festival (small thing, approx 300 people), and the PA guy was so bad he forgot to turn on the mics in front of our amps (no synth amps, no way for direct out either, me and my partner back then just used guitar amps cause that was all we had), it took him at least 15 minutes before he realized, and he didn't wanna believe 2 teenagers that said everything was turned on fine from our end.
Result was (of course) 15 minutes of mostly silence, and the crowd started throwing drinks at us. Not fun at all I can tell you, plus your set is ruined even before you begin cause the crowd is already psised at you.
Thank God that the week before I had seen an iron cage-like fence somewhere on the schoolgrounds and had my dad take it with him so we had that put around us and our gear.
But that still didn't prevent the beer from getting in, of course.
I can't imagine how hard I would have been fucked if my only good synth got ruined by beer thrown in (which thankfully didn't happen). Back then it costed me 1500 euro's used, and all it had was GM sounds. Total piece of crap, but it had a sequencer onboard, and that was all I needed. Gave it away years ago to the son of a friend of mine, saw it back recently at my friends place, put a smile on my face to remember those days where there was no internet to score proper gear or find information on how to do all this...

At another occassion I was asked to DJ on a female friend's sisters party, together with some other local DJ, a total cunt. I had a big crush on my friend, so I didn't mind playing for a party mostly filled with teenagers (and organized by mostly teenagers though) for only free booze. Right at the start where I was building up my set, there was this teenager who shut the main electricity down on the stage, meaning total silence (again) for minutes while I just stood there, being looked at and yelled at by all the drunk folks. The hilarious part was that the guilty guy was just out of sight of the crowd, so everybody assumed I had something to do with it. So there you are trying to point to the side of the stage to the guilty one who's out of sight from the crowds point of view... :)
Again, you have very little chance to set things right after incidents like that.
That night I just stopped early, and used my free booze right to the max. :)

If anything, at least Jeff Mills certainly doesn't have to care about gear getting broken by beer,
he's rich enough. But of course, it's the whole idea behind it that is so repulsive.
Plus if it's a glass bottle you can seriously get injured by that.

And big ups for anywhere where they forbid camera's.
Fucking wankers that need to take pictures of everything just to pretend on FB they have the most interesting life ever. Fuck off to them ! :mrgreen:

nice article mono, thx for posting that !
Sin cambios no hay mariposa