this damn kick! how!?

Electronic Music Production // Dark Arts
Milanello1
Interact. Don't Spam.
this damn kick! how!?

Post by Milanello1 »

I know I'm new here but I couldn't help myself and ask how in the holy hell is a kick like this made/processed?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FXDdXDA ... jclj5oc93A
it drops in and is hollow initially and then about 4-5 seconds later a huge sub comes and just blows your brains. I've been synthesizing my own kicks, using samples...adding saturation, compression etc but my damn kick drum still sounds weak and hollow in ableton. what gives?!

Lost to the Void
subsekt
subsekt
Re: this damn kick! how!?

Post by Lost to the Void »

Sounds like a normal dance music kick drum to me
Am I missing something?
Mastering Engineer @ Black Monolith Studio
New Shit
Techno is dead. Long live Techno.

Lost to the Void
subsekt
subsekt

Go search the forum, I think I did a quick guide to kick drums, using images of how to do exactly this, with free plugins, with screen grabs from me doing it in ableton.
New Shit

Barfunkel
Smalahove

Post by Barfunkel »

Ears are often easily fooled. It's usually just a standard 909-derived kick, it's the rest of the music that makes the kick work, not vice versa. If you work on the kick alone you'll just end up tweaking it meaninglessly for hours and wondering why it doesn't sound like it does on some good records. Just choose or make a kick that sounds ok, then write a great track over it. Magically, the kick will sound great in that context.

I know, it's not always like that, there are exceptions, tracks which actually have these mythical super kicks. Most of the time it's something fairly simple though.
"I don't shower every day, but when I do, I do it after listening to some Barfunkel" - Anonymous

http://soundcloud.com/user4904810
http://www.mixcloud.com/Barfunkel/

Contort
athlete

Post by Contort »

Milanello1 wrote:I know I'm new here but I couldn't help myself and ask how in the holy hell is a kick like this made/processed?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FXDdXDA ... jclj5oc93A
it drops in and is hollow initially and then about 4-5 seconds later a huge sub comes and just blows your brains.
That is the effect of a high/band pass filter sir.

Also it is perhaps unrealistic to compare a kick you're working on to one thats part of a finished, mastered product.

Try layering and EQ'ing more if you haven't already and lots of A/B'ing after tweaking your own in comparison to this one for example.
Lost to the Void wrote:Sounds like a normal dance music kick drum to me
Am I missing something?
'Normal dance music kick drum' :lol:

Mono-xID
Uumfääng

Post by Mono-xID »

Barfunkel wrote:Ears are often easily fooled. It's usually just a standard 909-derived kick, it's the rest of the music that makes the kick work, not vice versa. If you work on the kick alone you'll just end up tweaking it meaninglessly for hours and wondering why it doesn't sound like it does on some good records. Just choose or make a kick that sounds ok, then write a great track over it. Magically, the kick will sound great in that context.
That's it basically..
http://soundcloud.com/monoxid

Behringer = ARTS label of synths

breakz
Onions

Post by breakz »

Mono-xID wrote:
Barfunkel wrote:Ears are often easily fooled. It's usually just a standard 909-derived kick, it's the rest of the music that makes the kick work, not vice versa. If you work on the kick alone you'll just end up tweaking it meaninglessly for hours and wondering why it doesn't sound like it does on some good records. Just choose or make a kick that sounds ok, then write a great track over it. Magically, the kick will sound great in that context.
That's it basically..
try to do the opposite,sample a good kick drum from a quality track,just the kick drum and then make a crappy loop on top of it with completely out of tune sounds,then the kick drum will loose all that beauty,so once again,its not the kickdrum but the whole package of sounds mixed together.

LuigiTozzii
refusenik

Post by LuigiTozzii »

Sounds like a normal dance music kick drum to me
Am I missing something?
yes.
If you don't make a proper layering you will never achieve that kind of kickdrum.

Lost to the Void
subsekt
subsekt

You can make that with nothing but a compressor, a 909 or other sine kick generator, and some EQ.
Absolutely no limiting necessary, it's bog standard techno kickery.
New Shit