Another DJ Video Showing The Art Of DJing In Full Effect....

General Chat // Music Discussion
Wiu
Slowy J
Another DJ Video Showing The Art Of DJing In Full Effect....

Post by Wiu »

youtu.be/k-b1kvx5G8w

A great performance. I wish I was this fucking talented.
Thank you for the laughs, debate, new music found, production tips etc etc over the years. I wish Subsekt and everyone all the best for the future. Wiu.

Lost to the Void
subsekt
subsekt
Re: Another DJ Video Showing The Art Of DJing In Full Effect

Post by Lost to the Void »

I've seen loads of people moaning about this.

Listen to the music, the music is crap. Who gives a shit if it is played on 12 decks by a one armed scratch genius, or by some numpty pretending to drop the bass.
It`s still shit music, so the DJing doesn`t matter.

It`s a bit like complaining that rather than shitting on your bed themselves, an intruder in your house brought in some shit that someone else did for them and left it on your bed.

Your bed is still covered in shit.
Mastering Engineer @ Black Monolith Studio
New Shit
Techno is dead. Long live Techno.

surface
Balance

Post by surface »

I don't see anything interestng in this video, apart from her fingerless gloves ..

Planar
subsekt
subsekt

Post by Planar »

Just skipped through. What's the big deal? Someone playing cheesy shit from (I think) traktor, with , sigh, flamboyant dj-isms. Have I missed something?

UN!T
Lifer

Post by UN!T »

Wiu wrote:youtu.be/k-b1kvx5G8w

I wish I was this fucking talented.
I agree, it does look like she has nice tits! :mrgreen:
C0REZ wrote:techno 2014 = fascism
:lol:

AxeD
durchfall

Post by AxeD »

Planar wrote:Just skipped through. What's the big deal? Someone playing cheesy shit from (I think) traktor, with , sigh, flamboyant dj-isms. Have I missed something?
You missed nothing apart from the fact that wiu is just joking :D

Wiu
Slowy J

Post by Wiu »

AxeD wrote:
Planar wrote:Just skipped through. What's the big deal? Someone playing cheesy shit from (I think) traktor, with , sigh, flamboyant dj-isms. Have I missed something?
You missed nothing apart from the fact that wiu is just joking :D
Yay! Someone got my sarcasm ;)
Thank you for the laughs, debate, new music found, production tips etc etc over the years. I wish Subsekt and everyone all the best for the future. Wiu.

Wiu
Slowy J

Post by Wiu »

Lost to the Void wrote:I've seen loads of people moaning about this.

Listen to the music, the music is crap. Who gives a shit if it is played on 12 decks by a one armed scratch genius, or by some numpty pretending to drop the bass.
It`s still shit music, so the DJing doesn`t matter.

It`s a bit like complaining that rather than shitting on your bed themselves, an intruder in your house brought in some shit that someone else did for them and left it on your bed.

Your bed is still covered in shit.
lol

Yeah, the music is horrible and I know I shouldn't care, but I just find it really annoying when 'DJ's' try to act like they're doing so much on the mixer when in reality they're doing fuck all. The bit where she raises channel 3's fader at the drop despite no music playing through that channel was particularly cringe inducing. I can't read Spanish (so correct me if I'm wrong), but some of the comments on youtube seem to suggest this cunt gets 10,000 euros per gig!

I've been buying vinyl for nearly 20 years and only ever DJ'd as a hobbie, but I actually find it a little embarrassing to tell people that DJing is a hobbie of mine these days. This new breed of software dependent jokers are giving DJing a bad name.

Planar
subsekt
subsekt

Post by Planar »

I see. We've had so many of these threads where people seem genuinely offended by some fly by night talentless fuck that I can't tell the real from the sarcastic anymore.

GLinet
Little chief

Post by GLinet »

I've been buying vinyl for nearly 20 years and only ever DJ'd as a hobbie, but I actually find it a little embarrassing to tell people that DJing is a hobbie of mine these days. This new breed of software dependent jokers are giving DJing a bad name.
Guyz, tracktor is the future! I can't even explain what ITCHY does but I'm sure it has something to do with neural networks and deconstructing loops into mathematic theorems and then reassembling them and materializing music on the fly. It's something only alienz and robotz would understand!

8FX
Suspect Handshake

Post by 8FX »

Another video showing the art of DJ'ing in full effect complete with mistakes and those weird black discs. Like the mix but even watching DJ Bone DJing in his front room is pretty boring after a while.

youtu.be/540QDT5G7h8

Wiu
Slowy J

Post by Wiu »

GLinet wrote:
Guyz, tracktor is the future! I can't even explain what ITCHY does but I'm sure it has something to do with neural networks and deconstructing loops into mathematic theorems and then reassembling them and materializing music on the fly. It's something only alienz and robotz would understand!
A future being controlled by those cunts at Native Instruments is a future I want no part of. I'l stick with my vintage 1200's and a CDJ.

Wiu
Slowy J

Post by Wiu »

8FX wrote:Another video showing the art of DJ'ing in full effect complete with mistakes and those weird black discs. Like the mix but even watching DJ Bone DJing in his front room is pretty boring after a while.

youtu.be/540QDT5G7h8
Agreed. But my (badly made) point is (using the video you linked as an example) that at least DJ Bone is not just play acting to look like a DJ. Everything he touches and adjusts is doing something. He's not just mincing about pretending to do shit to fill the time between mixes like the vast majority of these shitty software DJ's.

8FX
Suspect Handshake

Post by 8FX »

Totally agree Wiu. And I guess some people like watching other people twiddle knobs. oo err Mrs. I personally don't see much fun in watching a video of a DJ, I wouldn't go to a club to watch a DJ I'd go to listen to the music they play and dance.

Unfortunately there are people who just love this shit, aren't there! (refering to your original video not Bone) For them it's more about some kind of status/fame thing I guess. There's been a few people I've come across over the years who liked to 'play' at being a DJ's.

I enjoy playing round with Traktor now and again it is pretty amazing what it can do. The ipad app is quite fun too and it's a different way of Dj'ing. For me, however fun it is I always feel overwhelmed quite quickly with all the effects and all the other stuff you can do and lose interest. There's something that feels more special about getting two vinyl records mixed together without getting a computer to do it for you.

Planar
subsekt
subsekt

Post by Planar »

Wiu wrote: He's not just mincing about pretending to do shit to fill the time between mixes like the vast majority of these shitty software DJ's.
I agree with your point (1210's forever ;) ), but I've seen plenty of vinyl DJ's who do this as well. Eq twitches for no reason. Making it look like hard work.

Wiu
Slowy J

Post by Wiu »

8FX wrote:I enjoy playing round with Traktor now and again it is pretty amazing what it can do. The ipad app is quite fun too and it's a different way of Dj'ing. For me, however fun it is I always feel overwhelmed quite quickly with all the effects and all the other stuff you can do and lose interest. There's something that feels more special about getting two vinyl records mixed together without getting a computer to do it for you.
Exactly. DJ software really can open up so many possibilities with what it's capable of, which is why these videos that crop up online of big name DJ's (I'm sure everyone saw the Akoi one too) just taking the total piss annoys the hell out of me.

I understand that vinyl is not how it's really done these days, but imo, learning to DJ with vinyl was like a right of passage in a way. The money you had to invest in it just to buy the equipment, then the money on buying vinyl and of course the huge amount of time you had to invest in practicing. I would bet that a fucking huge percentage of DJ's these days just wouldn't of had the patience, love and dedication to stick with it if vinyl was still the only method of DJing. Or maybe I'm just a bitter old cunt that doesn't have a goram clue! :lol:

GLinet
Little chief

Post by GLinet »

NI tries to sell it like it's some kind of advancement. Pure BS. All their poster boy shills who claim to do something magical just play f*ckin DJ tools anyway. Big whoop, you're playing 12 identical loops over each other. It offers nothing uniquely advantageous with music of sufficient complexity.

I'd honestly rather not play *at all* than play using those video games. I've had a few gigs where, for one reason or another, I had to use a laptop. The dissociative effect, impatience, and outright boredom induced by kraptor is simply a nightmare.

Despite the ease, I felt like there was absolutely no flow to my set. I mean, how could there be? There's no immersion. It's like trying to paint by pressing buttons or yelling out instructions.

You can *hear* it when guys are using traktor. They just sound stilted and incoherent.

Mattias
subsekt
subsekt

Post by Mattias »

GLinet wrote:NI tries to sell it like it's some kind of advancement. Pure BS. All their poster boy shills who claim to do something magical just play f*ckin DJ tools anyway. Big whoop, you're playing 12 identical loops over each other. It offers nothing uniquely advantageous with music of sufficient complexity.

I'd honestly rather not play *at all* than play using those video games. I've had a few gigs where, for one reason or another, I had to use a laptop. The dissociative effect, impatience, and outright boredom induced by kraptor is simply a nightmare.

Despite the ease, I felt like there was absolutely no flow to my set. I mean, how could there be? There's no immersion. It's like trying to paint by pressing buttons or yelling out instructions.

You can *hear* it when guys are using traktor. They just sound stilted and incoherent.
Ok. Cool dude.
Music Page: http://www.facebook.com/Mattias.Fridell.Music
Soundcloud: http://soundcloud.com/fridell
Sample packs: http://mfsamples.bandcamp.com

Contention / 005

Lost to the Void
subsekt
subsekt

Post by Lost to the Void »

Wiu wrote:
8FX wrote:I enjoy playing round with Traktor now and again it is pretty amazing what it can do. The ipad app is quite fun too and it's a different way of Dj'ing. For me, however fun it is I always feel overwhelmed quite quickly with all the effects and all the other stuff you can do and lose interest. There's something that feels more special about getting two vinyl records mixed together without getting a computer to do it for you.
Exactly. DJ software really can open up so many possibilities with what it's capable of, which is why these videos that crop up online of big name DJ's (I'm sure everyone saw the Akoi one too) just taking the total piss annoys the hell out of me.

I understand that vinyl is not how it's really done these days, but imo, learning to DJ with vinyl was like a right of passage in a way. The money you had to invest in it just to buy the equipment, then the money on buying vinyl and of course the huge amount of time you had to invest in practicing. I would bet that a fucking huge percentage of DJ's these days just wouldn't of had the patience, love and dedication to stick with it if vinyl was still the only method of DJing. Or maybe I'm just a bitter old cunt that doesn't have a goram clue! :lol:
there were plenty of ass burger crap DJ`s in the A list well before the digital age.
You will always get assholes with big egos in any arena where there is an audience.
It happens with singers, with instrumentalists, with live electronic acts, and with DJing it is now super rife, because it is the easiest thing to fake.
Which is exactly why paris hilton, for example, gave up her pop career.
Why bother investing all that money in getting producers in to make music, and singers and so on, and then marketing, manufacture etc?

Just play some records (or not).
Mastering Engineer @ Black Monolith Studio
New Shit
Techno is dead. Long live Techno.

GLinet
Little chief

Post by GLinet »

Mattias wrote:
Ok. Cool dude.
Meh, maybe I was being a bit of a dipshit. Mostly I dislike NI marketing gimmicks. Dismissing a whole league of DJs who use traktor is pretty stupid.