What Mixing Desks Did They Use To Overdrive 909s / Techno?

Electronic Music Production // Dark Arts
Críoch
subsekt
subsekt
Re: What Mixing Desks Did They Use To Overdrive 909s / Tech

Post by Críoch »

Really? I thought the general consensus was that the newer vlz range didn't have the distorted vibe?
KennethExack wrote:My kids and I are completely shocked by the specialized secrets that everyone has on this forum
>> Click here for NEW POSTS on subsekt <<

Dialog I The Hole I subsekt Blog I The Bench I IG I SC I Mixes I FB

UN!T
Lifer

Post by UN!T »

seanskelly10 wrote:I have seen Florian Meindl showing off his new (old) Mackie CR-Vlz desk and mentioning "techno overdrive/distortion" on his MFB tanzbar..... might try to pick one of these mackie's second and see how it sounds...learn some old skool technique
There is no CR-VLZ. It's CR1604 or VLZ.
ICN wrote:Really? I thought the general consensus was that the newer vlz range didn't have the distorted vibe?
No, the CR 1604 is the one you want.

I wouldn't even bother with it unless you really are interested in degrading your signal quality. Crusty... Is the first adjective I would use to describe it. :lol:

Lets try approaching it in a different manner.
What is your maximum budget for this item?
C0REZ wrote:techno 2014 = fascism
:lol:

Críoch
subsekt
subsekt

Post by Críoch »

I think I have a couple of options atm..

but somewhere between 100 - 200ish.
KennethExack wrote:My kids and I are completely shocked by the specialized secrets that everyone has on this forum

UN!T
Lifer

Post by UN!T »

What are the options?

Hades
Shit Eater

Post by Hades »

if "crusty" is the word you can think of first,
how about getting a biscuit ?

you can very nicely overdrive your signal with just your "drive" knob,
but you have so much more :
bit-crusher with a nice analog filter (LP. BP or HP) to round off some of the harshness, 8 possible FX,
and you can even use it as a monophonic synth with their free firmware upgrade.

I love my Biscuit, it's been one of my favourite pieces for years...
(forget the budget, it's totally worth it !!)

Irish Crusty John ?

youtu.be/KC0cMLl00-w
Sin cambios no hay mariposa

Críoch
subsekt
subsekt

Post by Críoch »

I'm looking out for the some of the older Boss mixers - The 1202's and possibly the Yamaha MG's. Also for CR1604's and delta series. But I think I'd prefer something smaller. I also like the idea of the sockets being on top rather than being at the back.

I'm trying to figure out if the older MG10's have that drive? SO if anyone has any experience.. set me right :D

It's difficult.. There are a good few in the states but few come up in Europe. Custom charges - No Problem.. but not sure I'd want to deal with the voltage differences. The UK seems to have a few... just have to wait for them to appear on Ebay.

I'm in no rush though. Can keep waiting. Just gotta keep telling myself that lol

Críoch
subsekt
subsekt

Post by Críoch »

Hades wrote:
Irish Crusty John ?

youtu.be/KC0cMLl00-w
Would you post something from 'Roots' if I was black? Thats fucking racism Tom, ya waffle munching bigot! :mrgreen:

Mslwte
subsekt
subsekt

Post by Mslwte »

ICN wrote:I'm looking out for the some of the older Boss mixers - The 1202's and possibly the Yamaha MG's. Also for CR1604's and delta series. But I think I'd prefer something smaller. I also like the idea of the sockets being on top rather than being at the back.

I'm trying to figure out if the older MG10's have that drive? SO if anyone has any experience.. set me right :D

It's difficult.. There are a good few in the states but few come up in Europe. Custom charges - No Problem.. but not sure I'd want to deal with the voltage differences. The UK seems to have a few... just have to wait for them to appear on Ebay.

I'm in no rush though. Can keep waiting. Just gotta keep telling myself that lol
On the 1604 vlz you can rotate the sockets to be at the back or on the top. Proper gangsta !
https://soundcloud.com/mslwte
https://noizefacilityrecords.bandcamp.com
https://www.instagram.com/subsekt909
https://www.facebook.com/subsekt909/
Lost to the Void wrote:Fuck off, get some tequila down ya neck and make some noise you cunt....

UN!T
Lifer

Post by UN!T »

If those are the choices I would go for the delta first or the 1604.

Oto Biscuit?!? Wtf? We're talking about mixing desks here Hades. Try not to be like that really drunk guy in the bar who just yells out random things periodically.i know it's hard to restrain yourself but self control is a skill shown by many adults. Try it some time. :lol:

Hades
Shit Eater

Post by Hades »

UN!T wrote:If those are the choices I would go for the delta first or the 1604.

Oto Biscuit?!? Wtf? We're talking about mixing desks here Hades. Try not to be like that really drunk guy in the bar who just yells out random things periodically.i know it's hard to restrain yourself but self control is a skill shown by many adults. Try it some time. :lol:
he is looking to overdrive something (see title).
That is as far as I know the main purpose of him getting a mixer (it could double to help his dying soundcard, but that was more af en extra, if I understood him correctly)
I'm telling him you can overdrive things rather well with the Biscuit.
I specifically thought about the Biscuit since you were saying "crusty" is the first adjective you can think of.
I would rather even think of "crunchy" (there's a reason they called it "biscuit"), but I can assure it does overdrive very well (next to many other things).

When he said he didn't like plugging and unplugging stuff from his soundcard I suggested a patchbay.

It's called making a suggestion.
Sometimes you are looking into one direction for a certain piece of gear, and someone else can make a suggestion that might steer you into another direction or give you a new way to look at things.
If people have an open mind they might be interested, or they might not.
That's quite ok.
It's just a forum.
But yelling random things it certainly isn't.

Besides that I already talked about mixers btw earlier in ICN's thread.
Last edited by Hades on Sun Aug 31, 2014 6:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

Hades
Shit Eater

Post by Hades »

ICN wrote:
Hades wrote:
Irish Crusty John ?

youtu.be/KC0cMLl00-w
Would you post something from 'Roots' if I was black? Thats fucking racism Tom, ya waffle munching bigot! :mrgreen:
all I did was a google on Krusty, always thought he was one of the funniest characters in The Simpsons.
That "Irish Krusty" was the 3rd option or so I came up with, never even knew it exisetd...
I was looking for another Krusty episode I remembered but couldn't find it,
the one where he said he could pull a better tune out of his ass when Sideshow Bob or someone else was on while Krusty took a smoking break... :D

Is there a black Krusty ?
Preferably one with big lips and rasta hair or something.
Ghetto-fabulous ? :mrgreen:

Críoch
subsekt
subsekt

Post by Críoch »

Well said! :D

Lost to the Void
subsekt
subsekt

Post by Lost to the Void »

Have you considered getting a dedicated high end overdrive unit?
Something tube based?
Or even a nice pre-amp

You'll get much more versatility, in drive terms, than just ramming the inputs on a desk.
Mastering Engineer @ Black Monolith Studio
New Shit
Techno is dead. Long live Techno.

terryfalafel
Component

Post by terryfalafel »

Lost to the Void wrote:Have you considered getting a dedicated high end overdrive unit?
Something tube based?
Or even a nice pre-amp
Diy option if you know how to use a soldering iron :

http://groupdiy.com/index.php?topic=56356.0

Hades
Shit Eater

Post by Hades »

Lost to the Void wrote:Have you considered getting a dedicated high end overdrive unit?
Something tube based?
Or even a nice pre-amp

You'll get much more versatility, in drive terms, than just ramming the inputs on a desk.

Trying to be that really drunk guy in the bar who just yells out random things periodically, huh ?
Having no self control to restrain yourself even if it's a skill shown by many adults ?

Making a suggestion, Steve, the bloody fucking nerve !! :shock:

Seriously though,
got any good suggestions for particular units ?
I've always wanted something with tubes, but anything I've ever looked at is far too pricey in my opinion.
At least for the (thankful though let's face it rather limited) job it would be doing in the studio.

Hades
Shit Eater

Post by Hades »

In my opinion It's hard to get that "add extra warmth/drive" right without ending up in a far too hot or distorted signal, in my opinion.
But perhaps that's just my own lack of skills... :)

Lost to the Void
subsekt
subsekt

Post by Lost to the Void »

Hades wrote:
Something tube based?
Or even a nice pre-amp

Trying to be that really drunk guy in the bar who just yells out random things periodically, huh ?
Having no self control to restrain yourself even if it's a skill shown by many adults ?

Making a suggestion, Steve, the bloody fucking nerve !! :shock:

Seriously though,
got any good suggestions for particular units ?
I've always wanted something with tubes, but anything I've ever looked at is far too pricey in my opinion.
At least for the (thankful though let's face it rather limited) job it would be doing in the studio.
Oh you can't stray from the thread mate, no thinking outside the box allowed.................

Suggestions? Well there are a lot of mid to low end compressors that although I would never use for compression, make great units for drive and saturation. Some of the old TL Audio stuff for example.
Mastering Engineer @ Black Monolith Studio
New Shit
Techno is dead. Long live Techno.

Críoch
subsekt
subsekt

Post by Críoch »

Ah Steve - I think Tom was kinda making a joke based on something Unit said about him (Tom) recommending me the OTO Biscuit when I was asking about deskz. That's all. :)

-

Good idea btw about getting something else like that. I fell in love with the sherman filterbank when I went over to visit James there a few weeks ago. Pricey though.

Did you make a little distortion box when you were doing all that DIY there a few months ago?

Críoch
subsekt
subsekt

Post by Críoch »

terryfalafel wrote:
Something tube based?
Or even a nice pre-amp
Diy option if you know how to use a soldering iron :

http://groupdiy.com/index.php?topic=56356.0
I've only had a chance to scan on my fucking tiny iPhone screen so I've probably missed 1/2 of it.. But how much , roughly does it cost to make something like that.

It's definitely something I want to try. My Dad has so much knowledge.. He fixes synths & audio stuff for a living . It's something I know absolutely nothing about. Been looking for some kind of project to do together. Maybe something along those lines would be cool.

We were gonna build a small synth there a few years ago but he said it would be a piece of shit . He was probably right. Something like that might be more interesting.

Did you ever make one of those tube units?

Críoch
subsekt
subsekt

Post by Críoch »

Oh & Tom.. good idea suggesting the Biscuit.. but dunno.. If I was gonna go down that route.. I think I'd like to get a Sherman haha

They're fucking amazing.