What Mixing Desks Did They Use To Overdrive 909s / Techno?

Electronic Music Production // Dark Arts
Senko
decent
Re: What Mixing Desks Did They Use To Overdrive 909s / Tech

Post by Senko »

UN!T wrote:
Senko wrote:Do the Mackie mixers also apply to old jungle and hardcore? Figured they'd be using about the same things.
Somewhat but the true sound of jungle & hardcore comes from old samplers. Akai S900 S950 S1000 S1100 likely some Roland and Emu were used too. I forget who it is but there is a vid with 2 guys. They have an 808 and an old Emu sampler with logic and that's it. Sounds the business. See if I can find the vid for you later.
That'd be cool if you find the vid. Def been getting back into more of the jungle sound as of recent. Was actually going to start a thread about it, had a couple questions for the older jungle and hardcore heads. Particularly wondering if anyone has retained the older packs that Luna-C from KF gave out a long while ago for sampling purposes.

Lost to the Void
subsekt
subsekt

Post by Lost to the Void »

Here is photek and source direct

youtu.be/tVnm5cdNcus

youtu.be/TyKuzY52hWU
Mastering Engineer @ Black Monolith Studio
New Shit
Techno is dead. Long live Techno.

UN!T
Lifer

Post by UN!T »

Resin wrote: Neptune & Fracture?

youtu.be/yheX4yrOOQI
This is exactly the one thanks.

Senko wrote:
That'd be cool if you find the vid. Def been getting back into more of the jungle sound as of recent. Was actually going to start a thread about it, had a couple questions for the older jungle and hardcore heads. Particularly wondering if anyone has retained the older packs that Luna-C from KF gave out a long while ago for sampling purposes.
No. I don't have any sample packs of this type.
C0REZ wrote:techno 2014 = fascism
:lol:

Senko
decent

Post by Senko »

Watched the 3 vids. Fucking hell the sounds are immense. Sampler, mix desk and a valve compressor and you're set! Heh, bet there's a bit more to it, but still impressive stuff. Been aware of the Akai S Series for a while and always heard good things about them.

UN!T
Lifer

Post by UN!T »

Yeah there is a lot of info available about them. If you want drums and bass. Get an old Akai 3200 or less. If you want complexity and modular like programming depth and various filter types get an Emu.
C0REZ wrote:techno 2014 = fascism
:lol:

Senko
decent

Post by Senko »

Ah just the everlasting journey of warm dirty filth :D 'Source Direct - Crane'

Lost to the Void
subsekt
subsekt

Source direct and photek defined a new era, they carried the spirit of jungle in to drum and bass, the Hokusai stuff was great too.

Not sure Neptune and fracture have to do with jungle and hardcore though they are post 2000 drum and bass girls.
New Shit

Barfunkel
Smalahove

Post by Barfunkel »

Somewhat related to this topic, here's a short clip I just made, demonstrating what an Aira TR-8 sounds through a Boss KM-60 (an old 6-channel mixer). Dunno if the mixer was used in 90's techno, but at least to my ears it distorts very nicely.

Just got the Aira yesterday, and it's just a quick test pattern. Even better demos will come in the near future, when I have time to find the sweet spots.

"I don't shower every day, but when I do, I do it after listening to some Barfunkel" - Anonymous

http://soundcloud.com/user4904810
http://www.mixcloud.com/Barfunkel/

Lag
athlete

Post by Lag »

That sounds pretty good man!
You have to systematically create confusion, it sets creativity free. Everything that is contradictory creates life.

Wiu
Slowy J

Post by Wiu »

I've got an Akai S1000. I've only used it a few times though as the manual is a bit of a nightmare imo. I really need to toughen up a bit and just dive in. I must admit though, after getting it, I have got a new found respect for what the old producers had to do. We really do have it soooooooooo easy now for sampling.
Thank you for the laughs, debate, new music found, production tips etc etc over the years. I wish Subsekt and everyone all the best for the future. Wiu.

Planar
subsekt
subsekt

Post by Planar »

Senko wrote:Heh, bet there's a bit more to it, but still impressive stuff.
They kind of glossed over the hard part. The resampling and multi-layer modulation is where the magic is in that kind of DnB bass and it's tough to do. I've been trying to get my own take on it for months and still manage to sound shit. The limit is a great track though, I might start playing it again.

We need a how to make that sound topic for a Noisia reese. We'll be through the rabbit hole then.

Senko
decent

Post by Senko »

Planar wrote:
Senko wrote:Heh, bet there's a bit more to it, but still impressive stuff.
They kind of glossed over the hard part. The resampling and multi-layer modulation is where the magic is in that kind of DnB bass and it's tough to do. I've been trying to get my own take on it for months and still manage to sound shit. The limit is a great track though, I might start playing it again.

We need a how to make that sound topic for a Noisia reese. We'll be through the rabbit hole then.
Ah Noisia, they do a bit of the same thing. A lot of sampling and re-synthesizing. In a 'How To' vid they were making wicked stuff with just Massive and a lot of modulation routing to midi controllers. Lot of neat tricks to do those dirty growl basses, granular re-synthesis etc. Harmor, native image-line synth, is actually one of the best synths for this type of stuff I think. It has an audio re synthesis engine with a whole lot of manipulation possibilities.

Harmor example:

Lost to the Void
subsekt
subsekt

Isn't there a video of them making bass sounds out of samples of kitchenware and stuff they record in their front room?
New Shit

Planar
subsekt
subsekt

Post by Planar »

Senko wrote:
Ah Noisia, they do a bit of the same thing. A lot of sampling and re-synthesizing. In a 'How To' vid they were making wicked stuff with just Massive and a lot of modulation routing to midi controllers. Lot of neat tricks to do those dirty growl basses, granular re-synthesis etc. Harmor, native image-line synth, is actually one of the best synths for this type of stuff I think. It has an audio re synthesis engine with a whole lot of manipulation possibilities.

Harmor example:
Layering and modulation is basically the bedrock of neurofunk, it's not quite my bag much these days but I appreciate the technical side of it. Noisia did some incredible stuff, they must have worked their nuts off to get where they are today sound wise.

Harmor is interesting, I picked it up a good while back in a sale for the resynthesis engine. It has some unique ideas and you can get some incredible sounds out of it, but it's a bitch to program IMO and I've never got my head fully around it. I mainly use it for the unison pitch harmonisation, which makes unison behave differently depending on a curve you set. It's beastly for reeses and resampling so it's discussed a fair amount on DnB forums etc.

Lost to the Void wrote:Isn't there a video of them making bass sounds out of samples of kitchenware and stuff they record in their front room?
I'd love to see that. I think there is a video of them sampling a piece of paper being vibrated by a sub woofer and making a deep as fuck bass sound somewhere.

Senko
decent

Post by Senko »

\0/

Well known one, but decent as hell

youtu.be/ezh2BM2dh5s

Hades
Shit Eater

Post by Hades »

Wiu wrote:I've got an Akai S1000. I've only used it a few times though as the manual is a bit of a nightmare imo. I really need to toughen up a bit and just dive in. I must admit though, after getting it, I have got a new found respect for what the old producers had to do. We really do have it soooooooooo easy now for sampling.
not just for sampling mate, don't forget the sequencing.
ever tried sequencing on HW mid 90's sequencers ?
my first "synth" was a roland JW-50 cause it happened to be the only "synth" I was able to find used in my area.
still paid 1500€ for it, and all it had was GM sounds, but I was still happy as hell, even though I was constantly scratching my head.

I still can't understand people who voluntarily use/go back to HW for sequencing or sampling (unless of course you're using step sequencers or so).
Sin cambios no hay mariposa

Lost to the Void
subsekt
subsekt

Hades wrote:
Wiu wrote:I've got an Akai S1000. I've only used it a few times though as the manual is a bit of a nightmare imo. I really need to toughen up a bit and just dive in. I must admit though, after getting it, I have got a new found respect for what the old producers had to do. We really do have it soooooooooo easy now for sampling.
my first "synth" was a roland JW-50 cause it happened to be the only "synth" I was able to find used in my area.
still paid 1500€ for it, and all it had was GM sounds, but I was still happy as hell, even though I was constantly scratching my head.

I still can't understand people who voluntarily use/go back to HW for sequencing or sampling (unless of course you're using step sequencers or so).
My first Sequencer was a Kawai Q80

Little 3.5 inch disk drive and shit.

The horror

the horror
New Shit

Wiu
Slowy J

Post by Wiu »

Lost to the Void wrote:
Hades wrote:

My first Sequencer was a Kawai Q80

Little 3.5 inch disk drive and shit.

The horror

the horror
:lol: I actually have a Kawai Q80EX sequencer too! I was locked into a hardware buying binge at the time and got it for a decent price on ebay. I got an Analogue Solutions Europa a few months later which was much more what I was after. I should probably just list the thing on ebay as I've barely used it. Can I interest you in it Mr Void? You can relive the horror and get all retro ;)
Thank you for the laughs, debate, new music found, production tips etc etc over the years. I wish Subsekt and everyone all the best for the future. Wiu.

Hades
Shit Eater

Post by Hades »

I still have 3.5 inch disks in my studio.
my K5000 takes them. my Kurzweil too.
even bought a USB disk drive for them years ago.

I kind of still like those old floppy's.
Of course they're a major pain in the ass and have a tiny size datawise compared to our current standards.
But if all they gotta contain is some MIDI data, then they can still hold a few hundred patches on 1 disk.

I don't know, it's probably pure nostalgia, but I like the look of those floppy's.
I don't have the same with cassette's even though I grew up making mixing tapes for all my girlfriends and friends and family members for years.
Fucking never understood that cassette hype thing in ambient.
The stupidity of having to press fast forward, stop, rewind, stopn fast forward again, stop,... and still almost never be at the start of the next song...
Sin cambios no hay mariposa

seanskelly10
Interact. Don't Spam.

Post by seanskelly10 »

I have seen Florian Meindl showing off his new (old) Mackie CR-Vlz desk and mentioning "techno overdrive/distortion" on his MFB tanzbar..... might try to pick one of these mackie's second and see how it sounds...learn some old skool technique