Willem B - Carriage

Post your work here - Ask for feedback or just show it off
willemb
Mild
Willem B - Carriage

Post by willemb »

Its a freebie download. I made it, like it, but at the same time dont really feel inspired to do anything else with it.

I bought a cheap (£12) digital stereo dictaphone from ebay which I recorded some noises with in trains and train stations on my travels. Editing them (mostly cutting bits out and slowing them down) inspired me to make this track. I wonder if anyone can actually pick out any train related noises.

I hope you enjoy :)

daunzila
arsehole
Re: Willem B - Carriage

Post by daunzila »

idk about train related noises, but the rythm really put me in a travel scene, looking outside the window, heart beating hard, like im wainting for something to happen, cool stuff

thats a funny thing about tracks with description, sometimes this can reinforce or even create some scenarios in your head...
WTF?!

jordanneke
subsekt
subsekt

Post by jordanneke »

Mate, you are pretty dam good at sampling as far as I'm concerned.

When you were manipulating them, do you start off with an idea what you want to achieve, or just go for it and see where you end up? My mind boggles when I hear what people can do with their own recordings.

How much of the track is your own recording?

willemb
Mild

Post by willemb »

*pretty tipsy*

Thanks! Its a hard skill to define 'sampling' to fit this context. Its no crate digging or making crisp hq recordings here, I guess you're complimenting my editing and sample manipulation skills!

Apart from one of the hihat sounds and 1 percussion noise, all other 13 tracks run sounds that originated from my dictaphone thing. I think the hat and small Porc are from my mfb-522 through some pedals and editing sessions, they were in a sampler set which contains sounds i resampled from my own tunes (so it might be a 5th generation hat?).

One of my housemates keeps saying "you made this [sound] out of that [recording] just now?" and my reply is always that i can make something out of almost anything, i just need some sounds or recordings to inspire me in some kind of way. I mean, lets say i record silence right now, i mean just hit record and take 60 seconds or so. I'd take it into audacity, listen for a bit, zoom in on anything i hear that might be interesting (such as me breathing through my nose, a hiss, a hum, a mouse click, anything with frequency or tonal content), by copying it into a new file and messing about with it. Depending on the sound i'd slow it down or speed it up, distort it, eq it, cut it up into bits, whatever. Im particularly addicted to slowing down though, you can turn any hiss or beeping or dog whistles into rumbling subs. Don't ever underestimate the power of resampling (which in my view in essence is: getting a sound, doing shit to it, pitching it to a different frequency).

You can make a kick out of anything, just find bass in anything, or if its not there slow it down and eq the fuck out of it. That bass will then be part of a set of sounds which i cut from my recording in audacity, then I throw them into the logic exs-24 sampler, and start messing about with it in the sampler and sequencer and sometimes stupidly long effect chains. Then with drive, filter envelopes, amp envelopes, you can create both a bottom and a top part of a kick out of almost any kind of sound. Atmosphere is just too easy with stereo recorded sounds (did i mention slowing down?), and there are always some percussiony things going on. So thats kick, bass, snare, Porc and atmos sorted.

I almost treat sampling like finding waveforms, i often filter and eq them to only get a few frequencies in a short or long snippet. I can then make that any length by looping/reverbing/delaying or cutting/enveloping/filtering to suite my composing needs. Also, I dont really care about noise or letting things decay properly, so i have wider choice of sounds compared to some people that might actually care about stuff like that. So, these sort of tracks I make often sort of grow from sounds that inspired me during each or some of the stages of recording, editing, sampler mangling and sequencing.

SquareTheCircle
quasi-public

Post by SquareTheCircle »

cool.
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
BandCamp: https://jonathanhart.bandcamp.com
SoundCloud WIPS: https://soundcloud.com/djsquarethecircle
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

sergiobR1
Wastedddd

Post by sergiobR1 »

great !! thx for sharing willemb ! well done
we speak of art with flaming passion
then do work void of compassion
and wonder why reality is bleeding fiction

celome
quasi-public

Post by celome »

Really dig this one !

Could you explain how low end was built (kick/ bass combo) ? really enjoyed this part of the track.

Ps : I like your sampling philosophy :D
Music factory : https://soundcloud.com/celomemusic

New release :

Prophet 5rev4 - Model D behringer - Elektron Model:Cycles - Live 11 - push 2 - apc 40 -krk 6 g3 - ultrasone pro 550 - Elektron analog four mk2 - MacBook Pro - Akai lpk - Moog Minitaur

willemb
Mild

Post by willemb »

Thanks Celome! I dont know if this will make sense or really helps you understand, but looking at my channels I can tell you this:

Kick Top: A low thud that came from a train recording (i think from where all the carriages first get pulled from standstill and a shock goes through the train as all of them get tension/pulling). In audacity shortened the envelope and cut mids/highs to get rid of other noise, just keeping the bass/sub end. Added 30% drive in logic exs24 sampler (some sort of gentle driving distortion). Hard clip distortion gently applied so it only affects the very highest peaks (just used the logic bitcrush plugin, but no bit reduction or sample rate reduction, just clipping with a +3db boost, -1 db clip level, so not too harsh). Then an EQ cutting out 50 hz-ish subs, and boosting the fuck out of highs that shouldnt really be there because it was low passed, but ending up boosting the high frequencies that the clipping added, and boosting the freq area around it was lowpassed, adding some post applied resonance to the original samples high cut.

Kick Bottom: (starts at 32 seconds): I think its the original longer version of the same sample as the kick top, the low thud/rumble is pretty long. Low passed very low in sampler, with 78% drive and some resonance, leaving a heavy long subby sound. EQd boosting theoretically non existent highs (accentuating distortion and resonance artifacts), cutting the lowest subs to make space for some more 100hz ish freqs, and a heavy cut at 375hz to get rid of muddyness. Added a impulse reverb with a short decay, then compressed and limited with soft distortion on the limiter. Then a final EQ to cut at 156 hz where the kick top had some higher peaks, and a low shelf boost to accentuate the subs. 48db high pass at 37.5 hz to make some space for slightly higher subs.

Extra sub note (starts around 1:04): a short snippet from a massively slowed down train break high squeel (the irony, get the highest freq sound to make one of the subbiest parts of the tune). Pitched down another 2 octaves after having messed about it with it in audacity loads, lowpassed, drive in exs24 added, some resonance. No extra plugins. It makes for quite a complicated sub wave form/rumble which still has some tonality, rather than your standard sub sine.

celome
quasi-public

Post by celome »

I wasn't expected that. Respect for all this sound design !
Music factory : https://soundcloud.com/celomemusic

New release :

Prophet 5rev4 - Model D behringer - Elektron Model:Cycles - Live 11 - push 2 - apc 40 -krk 6 g3 - ultrasone pro 550 - Elektron analog four mk2 - MacBook Pro - Akai lpk - Moog Minitaur

jordanneke
subsekt
subsekt

Post by jordanneke »

Dude, how did you get those 2 subs to mesh without ending up with a horrible muddy mess?

They are both quite low, how come the freq overlap is not a problem?

willemb
Mild

Post by willemb »

First, placement, the kick bottom is 4/4, extra subs are placed anywhere apart from the 4/4. I used to make dnb by just placing sub in between kicks rather than trying to do complicated mixes/eqs. My tune that sounded best in clubs out of anything i ever made was 100 percent based on this principle.

Second, Eq cutting. I tend to start visual by looking at where sub A peaks, then cutting this freq in sub B. From then i do it by ear, although ear and eye tend to be quite close together.

Also, most mud is not really in subs, its in 150 to 500 hz. Clashing subs only make for volume issues and strange wobbly discordant bass in my experience.

willemb
Mild

Post by willemb »

Updated the audio file again, got rid of the space synth in the second part along with some other tweaks.

willemb
Mild

Post by willemb »

whoops wrong thread haha. I updated the audio file on my other tune/thread called Space Food.