Static ambience loop audio crossfading.

Electronic Music Production // Dark Arts
LaurentOrchard
pregnant
Static ambience loop audio crossfading.

Post by LaurentOrchard »

Ok so, let's say i have made a basic ambience with a firled recording, some reverb and delays and whatnot. It is pretty static ( it dosnt modulate alot ). The said texture lasts about 1 minute and is rendered in audio. Ok now the thing is i want this audio thing to crossfade so it can loop and i will be able to load the now looping able texture in clip view so i'll be able to insert it in a live set and then play with effects/filters/sends.

How do i make a perfectly crossfaded - audio - texture loop. I can do it in sampler no problem, but that dosent do it. Can it be done in clip mode? Do i have to use an external audio processor?

0_o

UN!T
Lifer
Re: Static ambience loop audio crossfading.

Post by UN!T »

Find zero crossing and loop it at that point.
C0REZ wrote:techno 2014 = fascism
:lol:

LaurentOrchard
pregnant

Post by LaurentOrchard »

UN!T wrote:Find zero crossing and loop it at that point.
huh?

UN!T
Lifer

Post by UN!T »

Zero Crossing.

ExPy4iA58EA

Unless I am misunderstanding what you are trying to do you want to set your loop point at zero crossing so it loops seamlessly.
C0REZ wrote:techno 2014 = fascism
:lol:

Hades
Shit Eater

Post by Hades »

LaurentOrchard wrote: How do i make a perfectly crossfaded - audio - texture loop. I can do it in sampler no problem, but that dosent do it.
0_o

you can do it, no problem, but that doesn't do it ?
qué :?:

whenever I have these kind of problems (and I have these a lot since I record tons of ambiences and texture sounds for several minutes or more),
I always load it in sampler, make a never ending MIDI note (draw a note, make the loop in your MIDI clip start after the note starts and before the note ends and it will always keep on playing your one note so the clip will never end untill you press stop), and then fiddle enough with my crossover fades untill it works.
pretty much always woorks like a charm.
then you can still render to audio and see if it's easier to loop, otherwise just add the FX and everything else after your sampler instrument.

I still think they should have added crossover fade functions to their audio clips in Live 9,
should have been sooo much easier...
Sin cambios no hay mariposa

Lost to the Void
subsekt
subsekt

Post by Lost to the Void »

If the ambience cycles, then stream down 2 or 3 iterations/cycles.
Reload into a clip and set the loop point from the start of the 2nd iteration until the beginning of the 3rd or end.

If you want to reduce the file size then throw the streamed 2 or 3 iteration audio sample into arrangement view, highlight the section that loops seamlessly, and then CTRL to split the looping section off, delete the rest, click on the remaining section you want and then ctrl j to consolidate it down to just that section, which you can then loop and throw in to scene/clip view for live use.
Mastering Engineer @ Black Monolith Studio
New Shit
Techno is dead. Long live Techno.

Lost to the Void
subsekt
subsekt

Post by Lost to the Void »

If you only have the audio in the form as it stands, simply throw it into session view, place 3 copies next to each other, open the clip-fades in the channel drop down, then drag the fade/crossover points so that the clips crossover as you want them too, highlight the section you want to loop, ctrl J to consolidate that section, then you can throw that section in to clip view and turn on looping on the clip, and it will loop seamlessly.
Mastering Engineer @ Black Monolith Studio
New Shit
Techno is dead. Long live Techno.

innovine
hmmmmmm...

Post by innovine »

You can cut off the first 20 seconds or so, paste it 20 secs from the end on a different track, and set up a crossfade. Resample the result and you'll have a clip that loops very smoothly, even if the content is not very static. 20 seconds is of course a wild guess, adjust to taste, even doing it in beats and bars can be easier.

Hades
Shit Eater

Post by Hades »

UN!T wrote:Zero Crossing.

ExPy4iA58EA

Unless I am misunderstanding what you are trying to do you want to set your loop point at zero crossing so it loops seamlessly.
a zero crossing might be a good suggestion but I don't think it would always work.
I mean, it's not cause you don't hear a "click" or "pop" or whatever, that you won't hear "damn, that's where it loops".
you gotta be pretty much looking for the perfect zero crossing point around the area where you could possibly create a good looping point.
but I suppose that's what you mean and you take it Orchard knows that already.

LaurentOrchard
pregnant

Post by LaurentOrchard »

What hades said,

It's not to avoid a pop or clic, it's to make it loop like a charm like when you do a long sampler note with the crossfade enable in tha ableton's sampler.

I ended up making the crossfade manually in session view with 2 audio tracks and clip edge fades and then i resampled it. Job done.

Still i'm puzzled about why ableton have not yet implanted crossfade loop feature in clip view. This and mp3 export.

Planar
subsekt
subsekt

Post by Planar »

There's a free vst the comes with computer music that does this, I can't remember the name and I have no idea if it's any good... So erm... Yeah.

Hades
Shit Eater

Post by Hades »

Planar wrote:There's a free vst the comes with computer music that does this, I can't remember the name and I have no idea if it's any good... So erm... Yeah.
wow, that was helpful ! :D

pretty much as helpful as all my long ramblings :lol:

Hades
Shit Eater

Post by Hades »

LaurentOrchard wrote:What hades said,

It's not to avoid a pop or clic, it's to make it loop like a charm like when you do a long sampler note with the crossfade enable in tha ableton's sampler.

I ended up making the crossfade manually in session view with 2 audio tracks and clip edge fades and then i resampled it. Job done.

Still i'm puzzled about why ableton have not yet implanted crossfade loop feature in clip view. This and mp3 export.

you couldn't do it with sampler and it's crossfade function ?
I know it doesn't always work, but it gets the job done for me most of the times.

I suppose you couldn't since you know how it works I'd presume you'd do it that way if you could.
I mean, it is a lot faster than using 2 tracks, making fades for each, doing a crossfade,...

msl
║▌║█║▌│║▌║▌█

Post by msl »

LaurentOrchard wrote:Still i'm puzzled about why ableton have not yet implanted crossfade loop feature in clip view. This and mp3 export.

AFAIK Ableton does a small crossfade in clips, if you click the Fade option, just sometimes its not enough.

www.bernadettetrax.bandcamp.com
www.soundcloud.com/michaellovatt

“Once men turned their thinking over to machines in the hope that this would set them free. But that only permitted other men with machines to enslave them.” Dune

oddmyth
Anba

Post by oddmyth »

MP3 export requires Ableton to purchase a license from the consortium that owns the MP3 encoding patents.

It's the same reason that MP3 encoding isn't included in many products.
Cue 3 2013 - Devil's Advocate.

See what this is all about at oddmyth.ca

LaurentOrchard
pregnant

Post by LaurentOrchard »

Hades wrote:
LaurentOrchard wrote:What hades said,

you couldn't do it with sampler and it's crossfade function ?
I know it doesn't always work, but it gets the job done for me most of the times.

I suppose you couldn't since you know how it works I'd presume you'd do it that way if you could.
I mean, it is a lot faster than using 2 tracks, making fades for each, doing a crossfade,...

The thing is, i want many short audio loops of ambience that i can trigger as looping clips on the same channel during a set. I'll mangle those with some different effect chains in a effect rack ( i change chain with midi automation for each ambience clip ) and some sends. The big part of the ambience sounds i'm designing in this fashion comes from effects.

The looping funtion of sampler is perfect when i make a single fully produced track but it dosent sync to grid (unless i<m too blind to see the function ) so i have to do it manually.

oddmyth
Anba

Post by oddmyth »

I don't think that's possible currently (at least not that I've found), you basically have to resample from an audio clip into sampler, then freeze that track to get it to sync to BPM change.

Probably the easiest way to achieve what you want would be to put all the audio samples you want side by side in Arrangement view and consolidate them into a single clip. Then bring that into Sampler and set the regions so that each individual ambient loop is played on a unique key. After that is setup, convert it all to an Instrument Rack and set Macro 1 to control the pitch. Basically the same way you would setup a drum rack that allows you to browse through your samples (so look that up if I haven't remembered this all correctly).

I'm not sure that's going to solve your BPM variation issue completely, the MIDI clip *should* sync to BPM but the sample length will not, however you may be able to address that in more interesting ways (sample direction, reloop or some other sampler magic).
Cue 3 2013 - Devil's Advocate.

See what this is all about at oddmyth.ca

Críoch
subsekt
subsekt

Post by Críoch »

Get some samples of clicking... Cross fade them.. Job's a good 'un!

*thumbs up*
KennethExack wrote:My kids and I are completely shocked by the specialized secrets that everyone has on this forum
>> Click here for NEW POSTS on subsekt <<

Dialog I The Hole I subsekt Blog I The Bench I IG I SC I Mixes I FB

Planar
subsekt
subsekt

Post by Planar »

LaurentOrchard wrote:The thing is, i want many short audio loops of ambience that i can trigger as looping clips on the same channel during a set. I'll mangle those with some different effect chains in a effect rack ( i change chain with midi automation for each ambience clip ) and some sends. The big part of the ambience sounds i'm designing in this fashion comes from effects.
Hmm, have all your clips in 2 channels and use the live crossfader to morph between them? Or maybe it's possible to use dummy clips to do the volume changes automatically from each channel. Dunno, it's an interesting problem though.