This kick?

Electronic Music Production // Dark Arts
NilsBorowski2
Interact. Don't Spam.
This kick?

Post by NilsBorowski2 »

Hello everybody!

I'm going crazy : i've been trying to design kicks for weeks but it never sounds as I would like it to. And this kick sounds so easy to make :D I've tried several distortions, bitcrushers and compressions.. :(

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MQORDLkzIOI

Could someone please tell me how to make kicks like this one or where I can find some kicks like this? links? sample banks etc. :)

Thank you and sorry for my english.

Love from France

Lost to the Void
subsekt
subsekt
Re: This kick?

Post by Lost to the Void »

Righto, I did this quick.
You`ve probably been overthinking this, a raw kick sound like this is fairly simple.

I`ve used free vst`s, in ableton, links for the vst`s are below.

Here is my quick effort

Here is a picture of the settings.

Essentially it is a raw 909 sound. I actually just used the sound that loaded up on the kick generator as default, it was standard 909 neutral tuning, so I simply open up the decay a little.
Distortion settings as you see them, it needed a little compression to fill out the initial attack, but I just used a little of the compression built in to the camelcrusher, any comp will do, pre distortion.

Finally I rounded the sound off a little by bringing down the highs and mids with a shelving EQ and also using the low pass on the camelcrusher with minimum resonance.

Kick generator available here
http://marvinpavilion.ojaru.jp/en/sound/vst.html

Though any vst that does sinewave kicks will do.

Camelcrusher available here

http://www.camelaudio.com/camelcrusher.php

Hope that helps.
Mastering Engineer @ Black Monolith Studio
New Shit
Techno is dead. Long live Techno.

UN!T
Lifer

Post by UN!T »

Its easy to make this kick drum. Its a 909 kick being run through a mixing board. What you do is run the kick in to the channel strip and eq it. Then crank up the gain on the channel so its running really hot to the point that its distorting and breaking up. Then back it off a touch to suit your taste. Done.
C0REZ wrote:techno 2014 = fascism
:lol:

surface
Balance

Post by surface »

extreme compression on a pitched sinewave in operator?

Lost to the Void
subsekt
subsekt

Extreme compression will suck all the life out of it.

Essentially in digital domain (which OP is using)o any verdrive, or analog style drive/distortion or saturation will do the job.
I just linked free plugs.

Another alternative in the free domain would be the tesla pro from variety of sound http://varietyofsound.wordpress.com/vst-effects/ a fantastic saturatior with the unique ability to dial in the amount of transient information that survives.
So you could replicate this same type of kick, but dial the transient back in to get more punch and less mush.

Paid plug I would recommend klanghelm SDRR, it does everything you need in saturation terms and sounds wonderful.
http://klanghelm.com/SDRR.php

Driving the input of a hardware compressor would be another, slightly more controllable alternative to driving the desk in the analog domain.
New Shit

UN!T
Lifer

Post by UN!T »

surface wrote:extreme compression on a pitched sinewave in operator?
No you are just guessing. :)

Its done the way I stated above. This was the 2nd type of kick I learned to make after I first bought my 909. Its about driving the preamp in the board hard so the sound starts to break up and then easing it back.

You don't need to believe me. Just read this thread here where a bunch of other techno people are saying exactly the same thing. One of them happens to be LegoWelt and another is 3Phase. Even the OP already knows this but he posts the question anyways for some reason. :lol:

http://www.gearslutz.com/board/electron ... ick-2.html

LTV in the box method outlines everything I have said only using a computer. It might be the first time we actually agree on something. :lol: The sound of his kick is 'in the ballpark' but its not as full as what you would end up with using hardware...

Lost to the Void
subsekt
subsekt

If I were to do this properly it would sound much more full, this was a quick how to in 2 mins.

I actually find desk smashing kills the punch, as you can hear in the original tune, the initial transients and the sustain phase are very flat, having been smeared out, this was probably enhanced again at the cut making it even less punchy.

If you drove a compressor but backed the attack off a little, you'd get a punchier wack which would survive mastering and cutting more effectively, but the good old days method was smashing a kick through a desk for sure.

There are more effective/controllable methods if you have the equipment (virtual or hardware) and know how.
New Shit

surface
Balance

Post by surface »

Thanks guys. Yeah I am just guessing (random experimentation with limited knowledge/undertanding) but what about layering the distorted kick with a less distorted kick? Thats gotta be ball park, where you have control over levels and eq of each?

UN!T
Lifer

Post by UN!T »

Months ago I watched a Legowelt vid where he uses a Boss compressor pedal on his 808. The effect of it is; it adds a real smack to the attack phase. It also sort of blows up the body of the sound making it quite full. Its not boomy, just added weight over all. So there is this compressor idea but its not the same as driving a channel strip into the red.

Even owning a 909 I could not effectively recreate this effect just using my convertors line in. Overdriving it in this manner would lead to clipping which= harsh digital distortion. That might be okay if I wanted to moonlight as AtariTeenageRiot but I think I will pass... :)

Lost to the Void
subsekt
subsekt

surface wrote:Thanks guys. Yeah I am just guessing (random experimentation with limited knowledge/undertanding) but what about layering the distorted kick with a less distorted kick? Thats gotta be ball park, where you have control over levels and eq of each?
You can go down that road, but you have to be careful when layering kicks to get the initial transients matched.
If done right it can actually be a very good solution, but the problems are about equal to the end result.

If you want more control over the end result, and as you are I working In the digi domain there are a few solutions.

Simply use the wet/dry on a decent saturation plug and dial in a little dry to claw back some punch.

Or

Use something like the tesla pro where you can control the dynamics

Or use compression to over enhance the initial punch of the kick by tuning the compressor attack, THEN add saturation to dirty it up, the overcooked punch from the comp will then be tamed by the saturation, but still have more thump to it than saturation alone.

Now you can flip this procedure and use the compression post-saturation to try to push the nose of the kick up again, but is a little more difficult to dial in and you risk overkill and flattening it dead. It can work nicely though.

Mixing a distorted kick with another kick is totally viable, but you will probably spend a little more time getting the kicks to sit right, but it does open up some interesting options. I'm actually doing a lot of this myself on an EP right now, albeit in about as extreme a way as you can take it.

I can throw up a quick sound grab and an explanation of what I have done on the tune, but it is really extreme noise-a-Rama and probably not what you are looking for.
New Shit

Lost to the Void
subsekt
subsekt

You can polish your transients quite well if you have very very good converters and you drive em a little, it's quite a tried and tested mastering trick. But yeah, if you slam em it's just harsh digi clipping.
New Shit

UN!T
Lifer

Post by UN!T »

surface wrote:Thanks guys. Yeah I am just guessing (random experimentation with limited knowledge/undertanding) but what about layering the distorted kick with a less distorted kick? Thats gotta be ball park, where you have control over levels and eq of each?
Try it and see what happens.

I wanted to make a really pounding kick. I think everybody who buys a 909 does. What to do? Turn everything up to 11 of course! :mrgreen: And thats when it hits you. :idea: "Oh that is how they did it!" And thats how you learn little tricks that you can apply. Its either that or you have somebody tell you these things then you need to learn to remember them or keep a note book of sorts.

Lost to the Void
subsekt
subsekt

So yeah, stop asking questions and just experiment, which is my standard answer, cheers unit
New Shit

Lost to the Void
subsekt
subsekt

When I was looking for a free kick synth to make the little example posted previously, I came across this, but it looked a little complex for the simple example.

however, it might be worth checking it out, it`s free and is rather unusual being a 4 oscillator?!? kick synth.
I`m gonna grab it myself and check it out tonight.

http://teragonaudio.com/KickMaker.html

New Shit

surface
Balance

Post by surface »

Cheers for your input Steve. If I ever finish a track it'll be wingn it's way to you for mastering. Good to get your input from the far side! ..

delve
Jan : )

Post by delve »

I Love these Fx in general. But, I especially love the Grease tube for adding distortion and warmth to my kick. Either through via. Send Fx or on the Channel it self works for me. Have Fun and Good Luck!

http://www.vst4free.com/index.php?dev=TbT
Oink Oink

NilsBorowski2
Interact. Don't Spam.

Post by NilsBorowski2 »

Thank everybody, I've tried the several ways you told me to, and I have to say they all sound good, in their own style. Thank you again! I love this forum...

Mono-xID
Uumfääng

Post by Mono-xID »

Drunk. Fuck it...
http://soundcloud.com/monoxid

Behringer = ARTS label of synths

surface
Balance

Post by surface »

Mono-xID wrote:Drunk. Fuck it...