Sudden Hearing Loss

General Chat // Music Discussion
ferramus
fancy woman
Sudden Hearing Loss

Post by ferramus »

Something I've been wanting to talk about: hearing loss, as well as sudden hearing loss.

I've always had slight tinnitus as a child, as far as I can remember there was always a minor buzz when laying in bed in a silent room, couldn't really figure out what it was and I thought everyone had it. Until I started going to parties and noticed the buzz after a party was similar, but much more intense. Since I've been going to parties, it's been gradually getting worse, especially after those parties where you forget your ear protection and the sound quality just so happens to be absolutely shit. And the most fucked up thing is that some people apparently don't even get hearing loss.

Lately it's been getting worse and I've started getting what the internet calls SSHL (link) - getting an increased buzz and muffled hearing in one ear out of nowhere. I'm not looking forward to seeing how bad it'll be in a few years, and as producing and music are my only true passions, I'm scared to death...

Just looking at the symptoms I know these ones in count for me.
-trouble following group conversations
-muffled conversation sounds
-experiencing sounds that feel too loud
-inability to hear well when there’s a lot of background noise
-tinnitus (hearing ringing or buzzing sounds)

I've never had it checked but the sudden hearing loss I just had made me look this stuff up finally and I'm definitely calling the doctor tomorrow. But what can they do?

Anybody got experience with this? Either their hearing loss getting worse, or this weird sudden hearing loss in one ear while doing perfectly normal things, I'd like as much information as possible.
FL user - soundcloud: Ferramus

Mslwte
subsekt
subsekt
Re: Sudden Hearing Loss

Post by Mslwte »

I don't have any experience with this but I have read that there is some kind of treatment available (there is now but there wasn't before). But I don't know how effective it is.

But it has to be your main priority to get something sorted and get more that 1 opinion!
https://soundcloud.com/mslwte
https://noizefacilityrecords.bandcamp.com
https://www.instagram.com/subsekt909
https://www.facebook.com/subsekt909/
Lost to the Void wrote:Fuck off, get some tequila down ya neck and make some noise you cunt....

tdmusic
Informer

Post by tdmusic »

Defo go to the doctor, but I've had this years ago as have a few other people I know and it was either water trapped or an infection and it cleared up after a week or so. Hopefully that's the case for you.

ferramus
fancy woman

Post by ferramus »

I've heard from some people getting a lot of the issues removed by just getting their ears cleaned, so I'm getting that done at least. I think getting it treated professionally will cost me too much, sadly :/

oddmyth
Anba

Post by oddmyth »

I wouldn't recommend ear cleaning unless a doctor has suggested it. Cleaning your ears removes all the earwax, this is not a good thing and should only be done if your ears produce too much wax and it causes clogging.

As for your problem, definitely get it checked out, but as well you need to give your ears a break, especially when dealing with loud sounds for extended periods of time (ie. headphones, loud music etc.) There are muscles in your ears that do work when you submit your ears to loud sounds (they basically cause your ear drum to become tighter thus lessening the effect of loud sound). If you continually expose your ears to loud sounds you cause these muscles to fatigue and that can lead to worse conditions like a perforated ear drum.

So if you are feeling like your hearing is getting worse and that you are having more problems, then the best thing you can do, is stop going to parties, stop wearing headphones and if you do listen to anything do it at a reduced volume.
Cue 3 2013 - Devil's Advocate.

See what this is all about at oddmyth.ca

ferramus
fancy woman

Post by ferramus »

That's the thing, I've always had things like the TV and earplugs at lower volumes because for me it doesn't need to be loud. When people use a tv before me I almost always turn down the volume because it seems too loud for me. So it can't really be that, at least I think. My ears get enough rest at home, and I use ear protection at work (distribution center). As for parties, I'm not a weekly guy, usually once every 3-4 weeks.

It seems to me I've always had it and it's just getting worse as I age, but I'm only 21 yet, fucks sake. Another thing I can think of is that my ears are just very sensitive or weak or something, and get tired more easily.

Anyways, I'm getting it checked out first thing tomorrow.