Live Set/Act/Pa - post them here

General Chat // Music Discussion
LaurentOrchard
pregnant
Re: Live Set/Act/Pa - post them here

Post by LaurentOrchard »

Lost to the Void wrote:
LaurentOrchard wrote:i'll have to give his music a listen. If this is a tamed version of his output i'd be very interested to hear his old stuff then.
You`ve never heard any Whitehouse!!!!!???
nope :S

Lost to the Void
subsekt
subsekt

Post by Lost to the Void »

Well my point is made then.
Bennett on boiler room playing beats. It's a kinda travesty.
Mastering Engineer @ Black Monolith Studio
New Shit
Techno is dead. Long live Techno.

Lost to the Void
subsekt
subsekt

nicknack wrote:
Lost to the Void wrote:youtu.be/Fb4bCgWkZRc

Most interesting PA I`ve seen on boileroom by far.
Relatively original if difficult material.

The penis, by the way, can be synced to midi, and he can also control it via the gyro controls on the microphone.

Makes such a change from yet another xox drums and arpeggio set.
what else you gonna do for the sake originality. scary, lovely, big, small, crooked, straight, cool, nerdy, clever, thick, dark, bright. all done. but honesty. ah, now there's something. as a punter that was interesting, maybe not fun. if i'm going to pay for techno night out it'll most likely be because i also want to get smashed. that's the last thing i'd want to see in that state or not in that state. the only other way you'll get me out for a techno night is as a performer. as a performer i'd say that was pretty fun and funny.
I love it, people didn't know what to do, it's genuinely quite creepy and disturbing at some points when the vocals go really wrong.

And of course for being on boiler room saying dicks dicks dicks dicks over and over, whilst surrounded by dicks who seemed to miss the irony.
Well, he gets my love for that.
New Shit

willemb
Mild

Post by willemb »

I dont like ironic music or ironic performances, if it is ironic, it just seems like an excuse to do something shit. I wouldnt know what to do either if I was there, maybe try to convince someone to rape his face while i watch (unless he enjoys it!). But failing that, I would soon leave the premises and go somewhere to listen to good music.

Lost to the Void
subsekt
subsekt

I don`t think the music is bad, it`s not great, it`s a weird mash of genres with a big creepy disco tinge (I certainly won`t be buying any of it), but it`s not just some guy arsing about, he`s clearly put a lot of effort in to it.
The hand controller is a 3 directional midi controller covered in buttons so he can trigger various effects both on the vocals and on the mix or channels, and then "dial" them by tilting the controller in the relevant direction.
The animatronic penis is also linked to the controller, which it can follow, or be set to a midi clock, or assigned to a specific channel.

It`s not ironic, I think he is pure taking the piss but taken to quite a high level in music/tech nerd terms, and I think it is exactly what boiler room needed. Someone had to take the piss at some point, it`s so stuffy and up it`s own ass.
Boiler Room is a visual medium and yet most of it`s "performances" are some middle aged guy playing records. Not really visually interesting at all, it makes sense that at some point someone would actually do a performance.

If you wanna see a really shitty ironic performance, check out

Otto Von Schirach, truly fucking aweful

[youtube]7PVbAYHCGrM#t=24[/youtube]
New Shit

LaurentOrchard
pregnant

Post by LaurentOrchard »

Ankleplants aint bad at all. He has released some stuff on Detroit Underground. IF you guys dont know about that label check it out it's awesome. It hits the perfect balance between a IDM and a Techno label.

That being said.... enough dick talk now common ;) hahaha

Barfunkel
Smalahove

Post by Barfunkel »

I don't have the recording from the actual event yet, but here's the practice session for the gig, recorded the same day as the gig, so it's practically identical.

The gig went well too, and the whole event was lots of fun.
"I don't shower every day, but when I do, I do it after listening to some Barfunkel" - Anonymous

http://soundcloud.com/user4904810
http://www.mixcloud.com/Barfunkel/

Barfunkel
Smalahove

Post by Barfunkel »

Here's a short video from the event. I played quite early, so the club wasn't full yet.

youtu.be/Ka9OzfrkwVo
"I don't shower every day, but when I do, I do it after listening to some Barfunkel" - Anonymous

http://soundcloud.com/user4904810
http://www.mixcloud.com/Barfunkel/

LaurentOrchard
pregnant

Post by LaurentOrchard »

Woah man, sounds good! :o !

And those visuals too.

Nice job !

There is a nice energy to it all.

nicknack
BANNED

Post by nicknack »

UN!T wrote:
nicknack wrote: what else you gonna do for the sake originality. scary, lovely, big, small, crooked, straight, cool, nerdy, clever, thick, dark, bright. all done. but honesty. ah, now there's something. as a punter that was interesting, maybe not fun. if i'm going to pay for techno night out it'll most likely be because i also want to get smashed. that's the last thing i'd want to see in that state or not in that state. the only other way you'll get me out for a techno night is as a performer. as a performer i'd say that was pretty fun and funny.
Detroit Grand Pubahs did this type of schtick 10 years ago and much better. Girl were taking of their tops and shaking their tits and ass because Paris the Black Fu told them too.
i picked up their "funk all y' all" album by chance circa 2002. i only got the thing because it said detroit on the cover. i must admit i got a fat surprise when i actually listened to it; but still loved it. this type of thing i will not forget to the day i die; same as anklepants. dr. bootygrabber heh. i really like that black guys sense of humor. actually i liked 'drive' quite a lot and feel there's a template their for some really good stuff. something about the way he says "and drive".

nice live sets everyone. well done.

edit : i think i got a little over excited/enthusiastic when i said that stuff was unforgettable. i just realized that it took me a while to connect "detroit grand pubahs" with the album i bought those years ago. but wtf...