What Monitors / Headphones do you use?

Electronic Music Production // Dark Arts
ferramus
fancy woman
Re: What Monitors / Headphones do you use?

Post by ferramus »

LaurentOrchard wrote: I'm not kidding, you can pay more or less 70-100$ and have samson stands, but there is - no way - i'll trust them enough to put a 2-3k$ set of monitors on them. I mean i'm sure they'll fall.

That being said these day i put my monitors close to my computer screen and to my head because i like the proximity. But that's just me.

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/SS36/
Look at those : plus shipping/taxes and all that wallet raping stuff they probably end up costing more or less 230$... That's the price of an Arturia's microbrute. xD
Oh wow, that's basically nothing more than 2-3 pieces of wood and some paint from the hardware store :') Besides won't that vibrate like crazy? And topple and maybe kill your cat in the process?
I think I'll keep mine on my desk for now.
FL user - soundcloud: Ferramus

algo
Interact. Don't Spam.

Post by algo »

Adam A7s
HD25s (need some new headphones though, after 10 years these are falling to bits)

LaurentOrchard
pregnant

Post by LaurentOrchard »

Tech Affair wrote:
LaurentOrchard wrote: I'm not kidding, you can pay more or less 70-100$ and have samson stands, but there is - no way - i'll trust them enough to put a 2-3k$ set of monitors on them. I mean i'm sure they'll fall.

That being said these day i put my monitors close to my computer screen and to my head because i like the proximity. But that's just me.

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/SS36/
Look at those : plus shipping/taxes and all that wallet raping stuff they probably end up costing more or less 230$... That's the price of an Arturia's microbrute. xD
Oh wow, that's basically nothing more than 2-3 pieces of wood and some paint from the hardware store :') Besides won't that vibrate like crazy? And topple and maybe kill your cat in the process?
I think I'll keep mine on my desk for now.
Nop, basically the designs you are after are those where you can put sand in. Mine dosent vibrate at all, and i have acoustic foam between the monitors and the stands. But like i said, these days i keep my monitors on my desk, close to my head. It's maybe not what is recommended from an acoustic point of view but i just like the proximity effect. It feels more '' there ''. 0_o

KulturIndustry
sad bastard

Post by KulturIndustry »

I use my old Mackie HR824s I've had since 2001 (they still rock) and Sennheiser HD280 Pros.

maxadax
Get a fucking avatar

Post by maxadax »

For my monitors I use Rokit 5 Gen 2s and some crappy old Altec Lancing 90s PC speakers. Rokits are fine but I think they are a little muddy sounding, which is why I also use the 90s PC speakers, because they're tinny sounding. It gives me a good idea of how things sound, because I feel that I know the speakers well.

For my headphones I use my Sennheiser HD280s, HD201s and my CX350IIs.

It's not really about what monitors you use, but about how you use them. If I know how they sound well enough I could use the old PC desktop monitors and ditch everything else. As long as you learn how the speaker reacts you can use anything, but it's just easier to use proper monitors. I strongly recommend using a cheapo pair of speakers too, just to give you a good representation of the sound.

Lost to the Void
subsekt
subsekt

Post by Lost to the Void »

maxadax wrote:For my monitors I use Rokit 5 Gen 2s and some crappy old Altec Lancing 90s PC speakers. Rokits are fine but I think they are a little muddy sounding, which is why I also use the 90s PC speakers, because they're tinny sounding. It gives me a good idea of how things sound, because I feel that I know the speakers well.

For my headphones I use my Sennheiser HD280s, HD201s and my CX350IIs.

It's not really about what monitors you use, but about how you use them. If I know how they sound well enough I could use the old PC desktop monitors and ditch everything else. As long as you learn how the speaker reacts you can use anything, but it's just easier to use proper monitors. I strongly recommend using a cheapo pair of speakers too, just to give you a good representation of the sound.
Almost true, but with some speakers you simply don't get an accurate transient response, or perhaps total lack of detail in mid range etc. so no matter how you try, you are always guessing.

However, what you say can be true for any hi fidelity speaker, such as hi fi speakers.
Mastering Engineer @ Black Monolith Studio
New Shit
Techno is dead. Long live Techno.

ConWrigley
Mingler

Post by ConWrigley »

Presonus eris e8, My first monitors. I think there top dog but I'm not experienced enough to really say ears are still learning such as myself :)
"Techno is just noise"

humpo72
Interact. Don't Spam.

Post by humpo72 »

1 week ago, i purchased a set of Yamaha HS7s. before that i was using some Spirit absolute zero's powered by a samson servo 150 studio amp.

the HS7s are in a different league to the absolute zeros.

atom_output
Jan : )

Post by atom_output »

combination of some really old pioneer stereo sound system, i think from 1979 and a pair of yamaha headphones rh5ma. nothing luxurious, and it's a bitch to mix down anything properly. but i get around.

Hades
Shit Eater

Post by Hades »

those old hifi systems from the 70's (and partly 60's) are actually really good sounding if you get the right ones.
I have 3 different setups of them in various rooms of my house while I'm waiting to get the money for a serious hifi.
Of course they're not made for monitoring, but they are far better than most so called moderately priced hifi systems today.

I have a set of HPM-100 speakers and a set of HPM-60's connected to old Pioneer amps.
They're basically the same except for the woofer.
These things can deliver some sound I can tell you !
You can usually find the HPM60's in decent state for 150$ perhaps, or just find them in a thrift store from somebody throwing them away not knowing how good they are.
Sin cambios no hay mariposa

missingchannels
Interact. Don't Spam.

Post by missingchannels »

I have a pair of the original Event 20/20 bas and a pair of ADAM A5X. Prefer the ADAMs in this small room when I use monitors, which I do mostly for reference when I mix.

For the most part I produce and mix in a Sennheiser HD650. They are so open and "airy" that it feels like im listening on room speakers while I get the low end my monitors cant provide without a sub (which my room is too small for..)

humpo72
Interact. Don't Spam.

Post by humpo72 »

Also in the market for some new cans. The beyerdynamic DT880 pro's are looking the most likely at the mo.

arc
^^ Has a Drumcode Tattoo

Post by arc »

I love my DT880s!

Lost to the Void
subsekt
subsekt

Post by Lost to the Void »

Hades wrote:those old hifi systems from the 70's (and partly 60's) are actually really good sounding if you get the right ones.
I have 3 different setups of them in various rooms of my house while I'm waiting to get the money for a serious hifi.
Of course they're not made for monitoring, but they are far better than most so called moderately priced hifi systems today.

I have a set of HPM-100 speakers and a set of HPM-60's connected to old Pioneer amps.
You can usually find the HPM60's in decent state for 150$ perhaps, or just find them in a thrift store from somebody throwing them away not knowing how good they are.
Old Hi Fi`s definitely were better before minimalism came in.
These modern hi fi`s really over hype everything with their tiny speakers.
I had a fantastic Pioneer separates system I inherited, and the speakers were wonderful, powerful too. HPM 60s I think.
Kinda wish I still had it all really but they travelled a lot and it all got a bit shoddy eventually.
Mastering Engineer @ Black Monolith Studio
New Shit
Techno is dead. Long live Techno.

atom_output
Jan : )

Post by atom_output »

Hades wrote:those old hifi systems from the 70's (and partly 60's) are actually really good sounding if you get the right ones.

these speakers i have in my possession are awesome, maybe not so much for monitoring purposes. but they've been working as long as i have been breathing, without a glitch. they really did make some great stuff back in the day. those fuckin belgians, gotta love them (it says made in belgium). but even for mixing, they can be neutral enough, it's only a matter of adjusting your ears i guess.

Hades
Shit Eater

Post by Hades »

atom_output wrote:
these speakers i have in my possession are awesome, maybe not so much for monitoring purposes. but they've been working as long as i have been breathing, without a glitch. they really did make some great stuff back in the day. those fuckin belgians, gotta love them (it says made in belgium). but even for mixing, they can be neutral enough, it's only a matter of adjusting your ears i guess.
I presume you're not talking about Pioneers then, cause that's a Japanese company.

I was lucky enough to find an engineer who repears these old hifi's as a hobby/passion, and only lives at 40 minutes away from me.
I paid 500€ for my pair of HPM100's, and 200€ for my HPM60's.
I probably over-paid a little bit for my HPM100's, but they are not so easy to find and so totally worth it,
plus they were completely refoamed, wires checked,...
The amps were even cheaper, 100€ to 200€ for old Marantz or Pioneer amps.
Try finding a system that sounds so good for that price, plus that will still be working in 20 even 30 years.
Sin cambios no hay mariposa

Victor
beast

Post by Victor »

Yet I'm working on some old Kenwood speakers, but they translated quite good to larger systems. Also got a HD-25 for detailed stuff.

Been reading all comments in this topic now;

Should I get a second hand pair of HR 824s (around 400euro) or the A7x (have to check)? What are max. prices for a proper looking set of these monitors? Got a small room (about 2 by 6 m.=12m2).

Contort
athlete

Post by Contort »

Victor wrote:Yet I'm working on some old Kenwood speakers, but they translated quite good to larger systems. Also got a HD-25 for detailed stuff.

Been reading all comments in this topic now;

Should I get a second hand pair of HR 824s (around 400euro) or the A7x (have to check)? What are max. prices for a proper looking set of these monitors? Got a small room (about 2 by 6 m.=12m2).
I doubt you'll find A7X's second hand for €400. Best to get reading reviews and prices being sold for both.

Victor
beast

Post by Victor »

Contort wrote:I doubt you'll find A7X's second hand for €400. Best to get reading reviews and prices being sold for both.
Update; can get a pair of A7Xs (in good order) for around 650.

Read a lot of reviews yet, already listened to A7Xs before, never got my hands on the H824s (MK1). Heard the MK2s had some issues..

You've got the Adams right?

Contort
athlete

Post by Contort »

Victor wrote:
Contort wrote:I doubt you'll find A7X's second hand for €400. Best to get reading reviews and prices being sold for both.
Update; can get a pair of A7Xs (in good order) for around 650.

Read a lot of reviews yet, already listened to A7Xs before, never got my hands on the H824s (MK1). Heard the MK2s had some issues..

You've got the Adams right?
No I missed some auctions and got a good deal on some Yamaha MSP7's instead.

My general impression was that the A7X's had something over the mackies.