Apc40 vs ?

Electronic Music Production // Dark Arts
Ztriumph
Interact. Don't Spam.
Apc40 vs ?

Post by Ztriumph »

Been thinking this may be the first controller I spend money on. The price for the value is phenomenal. I've also been looking into a couple different pieces by livid like the ds1 and the ohm. All great products but I'd love to hear some input from the internet fam

Lost to the Void
subsekt
subsekt
Re: Apc40 vs ?

Post by Lost to the Void »

Well, this is a leftfield choice.

But an ipad 2 or above running Touch-Able via an ad hoc network (very easy to set up).

I started using this for Live PA`s so I could centre myself on the dancefloor and play my live pa using the Rig as my reference.
But it is such an amazing way of controlling ableton I use it in production now.

You have access to everything, the gride, sliders, EQ`s, FX, all in multitouch, it really is quite wonderful.
Mastering Engineer @ Black Monolith Studio
New Shit
Techno is dead. Long live Techno.

LaurentOrchard
pregnant

Post by LaurentOrchard »

- launchpad + the soon to be released '' launch control XL ''. - seriously, the new XL looks like the bullocks and will probably be very cheap as well. ANd then you have 2 units. So if a slider breaks on the XL, you can only change one of the 2 units. They are very compact too.
I'd be paranoid carrying a 1000$ controller around.

- Livid Ohm - never touched one. expensive. looks rad.

- Ableton push - Meh. Had one, sold it. Not for me.

Wait until the new APC40 hits the street. Then the going price on the used first gen apc40 will probably drop a little. and you'll have an argument to deal the price with the seller. ;)

Lost to the Void
subsekt
subsekt

Post by Lost to the Void »

Damn, I wish that launch control had been out a few years, I woulda had one for sure.
Don't need one now.

£160 so a good price

Apc40 mk2 looks about £280 ish. Looks nice too.
Mastering Engineer @ Black Monolith Studio
New Shit
Techno is dead. Long live Techno.

LaurentOrchard
pregnant

Post by LaurentOrchard »

Lost to the Void wrote:Damn, I wish that launch control had been out a few years, I woulda had one for sure.
Don't need one now.

£160 so a good price

Apc40 mk2 looks about £280 ish. Looks nice too.

Yes yes, at the momment i dont have any controller at all. I'm eyeing that new novation mixer alot.

Rohr Sha
fake

Post by Rohr Sha »

You can buy a Launchpad and use the Ableton Push emulation script ( you'll find it on the "motscousus" blog ). It works very well ( all the initial controls of the Launchpad + the Push scale selection, effects control, stepsequencer etc ).
I also have an Ohm Rgb from Livid. Really great and reliable stuff. I fully mapped it with Traktor and it does the job. But a bit expensive and sometimes complex to program ( midi inside for the leds colour selection and the buttons ). But fully assignable to Ableton and some good scripts also exist on internet.

revy
broke

Post by revy »

I've had an Ohm for a while, love it. very sturdy and customizable. I am definitely considering a ds1 when they release it, but that new novation controller looks like a solid and less expensive alternative.

LaurentOrchard
pregnant

Post by LaurentOrchard »

revy wrote:I've had an Ohm for a while, love it. very sturdy and customizable. I am definitely considering a ds1 when they release it, but that new novation controller looks like a solid and less expensive alternative.

That's the thing, i'm sure i'll be able to buy one for less than 200$. It's pretty much like the M-audio UC33 but better. I mean, what i really need is a bunch of sliders and knobs. If they have proper integration with ableton it's a plus. At that price tag i wont worry too much about spilling stuff on it.

I'll probably add a launchpad first gen or maybe an S to trigger clips and that's it.