a little diddy im working on

Post your work here - Ask for feedback or just show it off
willemb
Mild
a little diddy im working on

Post by willemb »

Something with broken beats at 127bpm I'm working on. I have just borrowed someone else's speakers, so I might have some mixdown problems which I haven't spotted yet. Any feedback is welcome!

Soundcloud embed doesnt appear to be working due to privacy settings, so here is the link:

https://soundcloud.com/willemb/170i/s-1tl5Y

nicknack
BANNED
Re: a little diddy im working on

Post by nicknack »

the mixing sounds good on my ear buds. more melodic than anything else of yours i've heard. i like that patch and the melody. i would personally say it's a little too busy -- too many parts -- at the peak. i read somewhere ( i think mixing secrets ) the brain can only concentrate on three things at a time so the rest of the stuff should somehow be in the background; either a really boring pattern or really quite or part of a texture or something. but then i'm a really big fan of keeping it extremely minimal and seeing what tricks you can come up with that. it just makes everything sound so clean.

willemb
Mild

Post by willemb »

nicknack wrote:the mixing sounds good on my ear buds. more melodic than anything else of yours i've heard. i like that patch and the melody.
Thanks Mr Titor

Hah you calling it a patch made me chuckle a bit. I thought this was void of melody, but I guess you're right it does have some tonal qualities. I originally had 3 tracks with synth playing some notes, but i muted them all and just left a ghosty reverb bus in the mix where they are all sending to. Its a massive chain on this bus, and the phaser with feedback and chorus actually supply half of the tonal content in an otherwise melodically pretty static channel.

Busy/non busy, i was going for busy with this track, without the busyness it lacks Drive and becomes to chilled out for my liking.

nicknack
BANNED

Post by nicknack »

you'll have to excuse me. i come from a future where dubstep is the new popular music. if its any consolation i would consider playing that as it is at one of my live sets to be. which is definitely going to happen since i've already done it just not yet. this even if it were only to pay you a complement because you seem to be such cool dude. the bottom line is, though, that it is playable.

jordanneke
subsekt
subsekt

Post by jordanneke »

Dude, It's very well produced an mixed to me, although the bass maybe a touch too much?

Very very clean. Cleaner than a Nun's arse.

It's just missing something that makes it sparkle, but I could totally see it working.

willemb
Mild

Post by willemb »

nicknack: did i make it unplayable now?

Thank jordanneke, yes it did need something...

I tried various lead synths, stabs, chords, arpeggios, and ended up with this. Its an electric guitar like sounding mangled fm synth. I guess the faux guitar might be off putting to some, and its possibly a bit on the busy side, but taking it away just leaves a massive gap now.

Alume
Confetti

Post by Alume »

Great work Willem, I agree with Jordan, the track is just hovering over the potential deepness it could dive in. Perhaps some string kind of ambients to really guide the listener deeper.

willemb
Mild

Post by willemb »

audio updated btw :)

nicknack
BANNED

Post by nicknack »

when i said it was playable, i meant that i would play that record as a dj. but i'll be honest though it doesn't sound as dark and deep as these recent / modern techno artists i'm liking are. the quality of the production is great though. much better than anything i've done for what that is worth. i like the bass.