So They Actually Did It....

General Chat // Music Discussion
Wiu
Slowy J
So They Actually Did It....

Post by Wiu »

http://www.junodownload.com/plus/2014/0 ... turntable/

At £599 each they ain't cheap. That said, I'm sure there's a bunch of hipsters soiling themselves in excitement. Like I said during the 'Get Technics To Start Building 1200/1210's Again' petition, there isn't much of a market for decks these days and Technics are kind of to blame. The 1200/1210's are so well built that most people that actually buy vinyl will already have a set of Technics and won't see the need to switch. So that only really leaves newbies to vinyl, hipsters and Pioneer fanboys. People new to vinyl must be a relatively small number, and most will likely start with a budget deck. If I had to replace one of my decks I'd seek out a second hand Technics over a Pioneer.
Thank you for the laughs, debate, new music found, production tips etc etc over the years. I wish Subsekt and everyone all the best for the future. Wiu.

nicknack
BANNED
Re: So They Actually Did It....

Post by nicknack »

i would still go for a good second hand pair of technics if i had to buy. i think its a sentimental thing. on the other hand, if i were actually at a shop, with my hands on one of these i may change my mind. sadly i've still not tried anything that claims it comes close to technics quality; i would like to but i'm a bit ashamed about causing all that fuss at the shop. somebody has to find a vynil, and then you just have try at least one mix. anyway, i'm not going back to vynil. just the thought of a record box or bag gives me back aches. my judging criteria for a turn table would be with respect to the time keeping ability of the technics and the pitch range at which it is able to keep time as well as that resistance-feeling/stability you get from the platter when pushing or breaking.

the fact that they brought this out says something for vinyl though doesn't it? i was told by the someone at the eukatech shop that vinyl was dead once...

edit : just had a painful memory of all those parties i went to with the intention of scrounging a mix only to find mountainous pile of record bag/boxes already there.

UN!T
Lifer

Post by UN!T »

John Titor recommends the eggplant casserole.
C0REZ wrote:techno 2014 = fascism
:lol:

nicknack
BANNED

Post by nicknack »

actually its the kofte kabab someone left next to my head yesterday morning. not too bad; a bit spicy. that's one of the perks of being homeless. people leave things like food for you while you're asleep. sometimes you wake up and find a money in your shoe. still i wouldn't recommend it; being homeless. thankfully i haven't been robbed or had my arse kicked yet. the next thing i want to try is crossing the mexican american border; coyote style. i've even been considering starting a small niche business in tourism; i'd call it extreme tourism. it'd be for rich celeb types who are really bored and can't find anything fun to do. make them sign indemnity forms and stuff. maybe get someone like gordon ramsay along. it'd be killer.

UN!T
Lifer

Post by UN!T »

Too late there is already a theme park in Mexico where the middle class attempt to cross the 'Rio Grande' complete with border agents shooting at them.

wapwap!
unsure

Post by wapwap! »

UN!T wrote:John Titor recommends the eggplant casserole.

haha!

AxeD
durchfall

Post by AxeD »

Depends, maybe these are better. I haven't used them yet.
I've been playing on shitty decks for quite a few years, can't seem to get a good price on
a pair of technics around here.

Senko
decent

Post by Senko »

Good move from Pioneer. Rather see 'hipsters' collecting and spinning vinyl than using controllers and their pirated music.

oddmyth
Anba

Post by oddmyth »

Hipsters are the ones actually buying vinyl, and turntables for that matter ...

I think you mean beatnik hobos with the American DJ controllers and smoke machines.
Cue 3 2013 - Devil's Advocate.

See what this is all about at oddmyth.ca

Lost to the Void
subsekt
subsekt

Post by Lost to the Void »

Insulated tone arm is a great idea.
Pioneer know what they are doing, so I see no reason why these won`t be as good as 1200`s, they look like copies anyway.
If Shortcut can do his thing with `em then they must cut the mustard.

However at that price tag, I`d rather just buy a set of 1200`s used.
Or go to the warehouse and pick up a pair, should I ever decide to play vinyl again.
Mastering Engineer @ Black Monolith Studio
New Shit
Techno is dead. Long live Techno.

CRDM
hmmmmmm...

Post by CRDM »

Seeing as they are 1210 lookalikes, if they do create a stir of being the successor to the industry standard turntable, hopefully clubs will start buying them in and it may kickstart the maintenance of turntables in clubs. I doubt this would happen, but it'd be nice to have decent set ups everywhere!

oddmyth
Anba

Post by oddmyth »

Pioneer has the industry locked up with the their systems, turntables are just the last bastion they don't own. Doubtful that it will have any effect on clubland, ain't no one going back to fucking lugging about vinyl.

ozias_leduc
ANAL

Post by ozias_leduc »

but records are so fun to play! okay, i don't know how to use CDjs, but records are lovely to play with.

would be a lot easier for me than lugging around a laptop and controller , plugging them in, finding room etc

nicknack
BANNED

Post by nicknack »

ozias_leduc wrote:but records are so fun to play! okay, i don't know how to use CDjs, but records are lovely to play with.

would be a lot easier for me than lugging around a laptop and controller , plugging them in, finding room etc
yeah, you're right. it's a sensual thing. unsleeve em all over your bed and masturbate. i never actually did but should've. did lots of masturbating though. needed to change the carpets. besides the point. back to it, all my records are somewhere, and i'm not to sure where. so there's no way i can justify building a new collection.

oddmyth
Anba

Post by oddmyth »

ozias_leduc wrote:but records are so fun to play! okay, i don't know how to use CDjs, but records are lovely to play with.

Records fun to play with - check.
CDJ's fun to play with? - yup.

Records + planes = not fun.
CD's or USB keys + planes = no problem.

Nobody should be lugging around a controller, if anything it's a laptop+soundcard+serato, however many clubs nowadays just have Serato enabled mixers, so it's just USB from the laptop into the mixer.

Vinyl is just an unreliable and noisy medium that doesn't travel well and is hard to care for and troubleshoot in a dimly lit club. From pops and crackles to scratches and skips, it's lovely but it's the worst.

mick
Chernobyl

Post by mick »

oddmyth wrote:

Records fun to play with - check.
CDJ's fun to play with? - yup.

Records + planes = not fun.
CD's or USB keys + planes = no problem.

Nobody should be lugging around a controller, if anything it's a laptop+soundcard+serato, however many clubs nowadays just have Serato enabled mixers, so it's just USB from the laptop into the mixer.

Vinyl is just an unreliable and noisy medium that doesn't travel well and is hard to care for and troubleshoot in a dimly lit club. From pops and crackles to scratches and skips, it's lovely but it's the worst.
Not in Europe we dont. Serato never was big here, even with dvs people always use Traktor

oddmyth
Anba

Post by oddmyth »

mick wrote:Not in Europe we dont. Serato never was big here, even with dvs people always use Traktor
It's not relevant honestly, <insert DVS system here>, doesn't change the argument - no one is bringing their own controllers to the club.

Lost to the Void
subsekt
subsekt

Post by Lost to the Void »

oddmyth wrote:
mick wrote:Not in Europe we dont. Serato never was big here, even with dvs people always use Traktor
It's not relevant honestly, <insert DVS system here>, doesn't change the argument - no one is bringing their own controllers to the club.
I don't know about that. Every gig I do or attend in Europe at least one person is using a controller. At least. Not just live acts, DJ's too, the diversity of kit is quite amazing really.
These days the booth is overcrowded with people's kit, booths are too small.
Mastering Engineer @ Black Monolith Studio
New Shit
Techno is dead. Long live Techno.

Wiu
Slowy J

Post by Wiu »

I hope gigging DJ's are receiving some sort of hazard pay when they play out. Heavy vinyl, crowded DJ booths, other DJ's junk cluttering up the booth, drunk sweaty guys trying to hassle you for a track ID/shake your hand/give you their soundcloud ID, having to pretend you're doing something ALL the time as the software's doing all the hard work etc etc. What a nightmare.....

I've said it before and I'll say it again now, DJ's really are a whiny bunch of cunts.
Thank you for the laughs, debate, new music found, production tips etc etc over the years. I wish Subsekt and everyone all the best for the future. Wiu.

UN!T
Lifer

Post by UN!T »

nicknack wrote:
ozias_leduc wrote: yeah, you're right. it's a sensual thing. unsleeve em all over your bed and masturbate. i never actually did but should've. did lots of masturbating though. needed to change the carpets. besides the point.
Congrats you've just made it on to my: Do not buy from list.