Soundcloud Vs. Teh Majors _ Copyright WarZ

General Chat // Music Discussion
Críoch
subsekt
subsekt
Soundcloud Vs. Teh Majors _ Copyright WarZ

Post by Críoch »

Interesting bit of over the fence gossip..

SOUNDCLOUD SET TO HOLD DISCUSSIONS WITH MAJOR LABELS

http://www.mixmag.net/words/news/soundc ... ith-labels

We've been lucky enough with the subsekt mixes never to have had any copyright stuff.. but a few I've tried to UL to YouTube have been scuppered as they've ID'd up to 5 or 6 tracks in a mix. I'd imagine YouTube is a lot more hardcore than SC right now. Might be chronic if it intensifies.
SoundCloud is set to hold copyright discussions with major labels and publishers, according to reports.

Digital Music News claims a pair of sources, who wish to remain anonymous, say that labels are unhappy with the manner SoundCloud works, due to owned content being uploaded by third parties.

As a result of user-uploaded content, the music site operates under a loophole within the Digital Millennium Copyright Act (DMCA).

One of the sources claimed that keeping track of all content is difficult for labels but used the British Phonographic Industry's (BPI) policing of Google and YouTube as a good example.

"Their [catalog] is all over SoundCloud, and it’s essentially too hard to police but that doesn’t mean they won’t start. If you look at what’s happening over at Google and YouTube, you have the BPI flooding Google and YouTube with takedown notices.

"SoundCloud doesn’t want to start that because they could get completely flooded [with DMCA takedown demands]. And that’s just one way [the major labels] will start a war."
KennethExack wrote:My kids and I are completely shocked by the specialized secrets that everyone has on this forum
>> Click here for NEW POSTS on subsekt <<

Dialog I The Hole I subsekt Blog I The Bench I IG I SC I Mixes I FB

Wiu
Slowy J
Re: Soundcloud Vs. Teh Majors _ Copyright WarZ

Post by Wiu »

The use of tracks within a DJ mix is a fucking grey area in my opinion. Should labels effectively see it as free advertising? How many people could hear that mix and think 'WOW! I need that fuckin track!' and go on to buy it? I've always come across new music through DJ mixes.
Thank you for the laughs, debate, new music found, production tips etc etc over the years. I wish Subsekt and everyone all the best for the future. Wiu.

Thumper
decent

Post by Thumper »

Wiu wrote:The use of tracks within a DJ mix is a fucking grey area in my opinion. Should labels effectively see it as free advertising? How many people could hear that mix and think 'WOW! I need that fuckin track!' and go on to buy it? I've always come across new music through DJ mixes.
Yeah, I agree. This is partly how I've always seen mixes, and I've certainly bought many tunes because I've heard them in a mix - sometimes it's taken me years to track them down.

Mattias
subsekt
subsekt

Post by Mattias »

Only a few big and mighty record labels have set this in motion. In our kind of music....not so many as it benefits them. It's always the big and the greedy ones, may they burn.
Music Page: http://www.facebook.com/Mattias.Fridell.Music
Soundcloud: http://soundcloud.com/fridell
Sample packs: http://mfsamples.bandcamp.com

Contention / 005

ozias_leduc
ANAL

Post by ozias_leduc »

Thumper wrote:
Wiu wrote:The use of tracks within a DJ mix is a fucking grey area in my opinion. Should labels effectively see it as free advertising? How many people could hear that mix and think 'WOW! I need that fuckin track!' and go on to buy it? I've always come across new music through DJ mixes.
Yeah, I agree. This is partly how I've always seen mixes, and I've certainly bought many tunes because I've heard them in a mix - sometimes it's taken me years to track them down.
+1

it's the best way to discover new artists/tracks in my opinion. (not as though i can turn on the radio and hear this stuff!)

*points to track ID thread*

Hades
Shit Eater

Post by Hades »

Thumper wrote:
absolutely.
80% of the time when I listen to MP3's on my iPod, I listen to podcasts or DJ mixes,
I can't tell you how many times I cut out parts I'm still trying to identify which tracks those are.
Some you eventually find back, some you're still looking for after years...

What's next ??
DJ's can only play their own music or can't promote themselves by putting up mixes ??? :lol:
Sin cambios no hay mariposa

Hades
Shit Eater

Post by Hades »

if the suits want money,
why don't they start making sample packs full of loops for the buttport tech house producers...
that certainly appears to be a never ending market...
Sin cambios no hay mariposa

Thumper
decent

Post by Thumper »

Hades wrote: What's next ??
DJ's can only play their own music or can't promote themselves by putting up mixes ??? :lol:
I guarantee that the day is close when somebody puts up a mix on Soundclown or Youtube that only has their own stuff on it and it STILL gets taken down for copywrite violations.

Twilitez
You only live once

Post by Twilitez »

I think that already happened a couple of times.