What Monitors / Headphones do you use?

Electronic Music Production // Dark Arts
Hades
Shit Eater
Re: What Monitors / Headphones do you use?

Post by Hades »

I'm no expert at acoustic treatment stuff.
I took the easy way out and took a room pack and bought 4 extra bass traps.
I put the bass traps in the corners I'm looking at (it's impossible to place them in the corners behind me since one corner has a door and the other a window too close by),
They go almost from floor to ceiling, and yet I still have some frequencies that go louder than others.
It's not a massive problem, but it's still something I need to try to improve at some point.

Other acoustic panels aren't as thick as bass traps,
plus normally with bass traps you still have some kind of rubber flap inside them that can vibrate with the bass and keep it inside.
that's what makes these bass traps so big.

My panels came from primacoustic,
I got maxtraps for my corners.
Just have a look at the size difference between the normal panels and the bass traps.

http://primacoustic.com/maxtrap.htm

If I understand the theory behind it a bit (like I said, I'm by all means no expert) :
normal acoustic panels really absorb your frequencies, while bass traps actually trap your waves in there so they can't be returning when bouncing off your walls.
This is also why they advise you to hang up your acoustic panels away from your walls, because the waves get more trapped than just absorbed.
I was planning on doing this with me other panels, but the hang-up pieces or whatever you call them weren't in stock for months, so I eventually gave up waiting...

I'll try out if I can't hang up some full traps from them in the corners behind me.
Some day...
Sin cambios no hay mariposa

Hades
Shit Eater

Post by Hades »

Alume wrote:
So you guys think that even a shitload of DIY panels won't please the subs hunger for space?
I don't think it's a matter of "sub's hunger for space".
In fact theoretically, your low frequency waves are far longer than your high frequency waves,
so perhaps the chance of standing waves or wave-cancellation might even be bigger in theory in middle-sized rooms than in smaller rooms,
(this is just a hunch from me, I could be totally wrong about this though, like I said, I'm no expert),
but the problem is you have more options to SOLVE a problem if (or even better when because no room is acoustically perfect unless the room was built with that idea in mind) a problem occurs.

In a bigger room, you can put extra furniture in there to scatter frequencies or absorb stuff,
you can move your whole setup, main desk, racks,... 30 or 50 cm more to one side,
perhaps just turn everything around 90 degrees,...
You've got a hell of a lot more room to hang up acousic panels.
The size of bass traps won't be such a problem.

I'm just thinking practically here.
Sin cambios no hay mariposa

Alume
Confetti

Post by Alume »

I understand where your going at. There isn't one perfect solution that solves all problems. And yeah now I understand that its a long proces of trial and error. But the thing is I'm afraid that I'll perhaps be starting off further away from a decent setup with the sub than without(if I hear you guys talking about it).

Right now I'm just trying to figure out if the sub willl be to much to handle(I'm afraid it will be because I've had it on before and at 1/8s of the volume it was already just a hummmmmmmhunggggggg there wasnt even a kick, just this ongoing hummmmmmmhunggggggg). My friend has some HS8's maybe I should just set them up with and without the sub.

Alume
Confetti

Post by Alume »

Just checked out he link you posted. I only have like one corner to place one of those. The rest is filled with closets and stuff. Studio=bedroom=livingspace.

Lost to the Void
subsekt
subsekt

Post by Lost to the Void »

Nearfield studio production is never supposed to include subs.
You only need subs, or 3ways when you start getting into a decent sized room, otherwise you are in for a world of pain in terms of audio problems.
And effective bass traps in small rooms take up too much room.
Foam bass traps are a con, so you have to go with loose material based traps.
Best off without the sub.
Mastering Engineer @ Black Monolith Studio
New Shit
Techno is dead. Long live Techno.

Alume
Confetti

Post by Alume »

Yeah, I'm afraid so. Thanks for the advice.

lost_childdk
GET A FUCKING AVATAR!!

Post by lost_childdk »

I'm using M-Audio BX8 D2 and Beyerdynamic DT770 Pro

willemb
Mild

Post by willemb »

I'm using KRK Rokit 5 mk1s, they're not the best, but at least I'm used to them. I haven't used headphones for making music in zonks.

SvenH
tense

Post by SvenH »

AKG K702 as headphones and Event Opal as monitors.
Get my Bottom & Top kick pack: *HERE*.

Contort
athlete

Post by Contort »

SvenH wrote:Event Opal as monitors.
Id love to hear those in person.

Binary Society
Poo Fingers

Post by Binary Society »

couple of prodipe pro5 and their sub the pro 10s here.

ronny.bronson
tense

Post by ronny.bronson »

Monitors: Monkey Banana - Turbo5's

Headphones: Beyerdynamic - DT 770 Pro 80 Ohm

PixelKind
who is it?

Post by PixelKind »

I use Yamaha HS80M speakers and AKG K701 Headphones

gavisthename
leper

Post by gavisthename »

I'm a filthy headphone user _Beyerdynamics DT770s with a subpac so I can feel the kick and bass thumping my back!! :-)

Alume
Confetti

Post by Alume »

Got the Adams, they really stood out while i was listening to the different monitors, they had like a panel so I could switch between speakers while the same song was playing. The events were pure rubbish, furthermore I they didnt have the msp7's and the genelecs at my budget were just not giving enough sound.

Adams were just bam, sound, solid, high mid and low were together rather that in constant battle with each other, and the ribbon tweeter sounded so pleasant to the ear(I usually dont like to high freq's)

Thanks for all the help guys, really appreciate it.
(got to get used to spending these amounts pfooo)

Senko
decent

Post by Senko »

It'll take some time to get used to them and break them in. You'll love 'em.

Alume
Confetti

Post by Alume »

Yeah, I feel this strange feeling like when you really like a girl and you go for a walk with her for the first time.

Couldn't resist buying a Volca keys to go with my machinedrum. This together with those FabFilter deals, really killed me for the month though. But I figured now is the time to buy, as when I grow older and finish studies more costs will come.

This is basically my drink and party money, oke and food.

Fuck, somethimes you got to tell yourself to go fuck yourself and GET THAT SHIT.

Lost to the Void
subsekt
subsekt

Post by Lost to the Void »

Alume wrote:Got the Adams, they really stood out while i was listening to the different monitors, they had like a panel so I could switch between speakers while the same song was playing. The events were pure rubbish, furthermore I they didnt have the msp7's and the genelecs at my budget were just not giving enough sound.

Adams were just bam, sound, solid, high mid and low were together rather that in constant battle with each other, and the ribbon tweeter sounded so pleasant to the ear(I usually dont like to high freq's)

Thanks for all the help guys, really appreciate it.
(got to get used to spending these amounts pfooo)
Events rubbish?
Opals are by far some of the best monitors in their class and price range, if not the best.
Mastering Engineer @ Black Monolith Studio
New Shit
Techno is dead. Long live Techno.

Alume
Confetti

Post by Alume »

It were the 2030's, I guess they were fucked up then because I can with full faith say that the sound wasnt all that.

Senko
decent

Post by Senko »

Usually that's a good thing. True flat monitors tend to sound absolute piss, but in a good flat way.